Give JB one more year. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Give JB one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Battle, bad Battle, great Battle, bad Battle it’s been like that all year. I hate the fact that he’s only auditioning for the NBA and I hate times like last night when he gets in the ‘my turn to take a shot’ mode.

My favorite Battle moment last night is what led to Frank’s technical foul. Can somebody explain to me what the heck kind of a shot he was shooting when he took some sort of a 90mph running one hander from the foul line? Am I remembering that correctly? All I do remember is screaming at the TV wt***k are you doing, and then NIT State gets the run out and Frank gets T’d up for the shove.

What JB has done this year with this team is nothing short of a miracle.

Last edited:
People really want us to change defenses when going into the game they were 2nd in the ACC and 12th IN THE COUNTRY on D?????

XCJImDZ.gif

Great Battle, bad Battle, great Battle, bad Battle it’s been like that all year. I hate the fact that he’s only auditioning for the NBA and I hate times like last night when he gets in the ‘my turn to take a shot’ mode.

My favorite Battle moment last night is what led to Frank’s technical foul. Can somebody explain to me what the heck kind of a shot he was shooting when he took some sort of a 90mph running one hander from the foul line? Am I remember that correctly. All I do remember is screaming at the TV wt***k are you doing, and then NIT State gets the run out and Frank gets T’d up for the shove.

He had a few drives last night that should have been dishes to Frank or Oshae for an extremely easy and wide open 3 point shot. He gets tunnel vision.

Jeez. I was going to read this full thread, but realized that it was useless. We definitely have some fair-weather fans here. I'm amazed we have even 17 wins, considering the injuries and defections. We definitely gave away the game in the last two minutes though. Let's hope for a few miracles to keep the season going. If not, upwards from here. Go Cuse!

People really want us to change defenses when going into the game they were 2nd in the ACC and 12th IN THE COUNTRY on D?????

XCJImDZ.gif
Nobody is saying to get rid of what we have, but change it up., have a backup plan. When teams start to hit three six threes in a row and we are continuously giving up threes to a team that is hot, you have to have a backup option or other choice. No defense is perfect 100 percent of the time. Need to change something every now and then , even if for just a minute just to confuse the other team and get them out of rhythm.

Jeez. I was going to read this full thread, but realized that it was useless. We definitely have some fair-weather fans here. I'm amazed we have even 17 wins, considering the injuries and defections. We definitely gave away the game in the last two minutes though. Let's hope for a few miracles to keep the season going. If not, upwards from here. Go Cuse!
If you think the one more year has anything to do with this season you aren’t being fair or honest.

The fanbase realizes this team is limited and overachieving.

JB is 73 years old.
He isn’t young. Our program has had 4 consecutive mediocre seasons.

If people want to let him coach forever they aren’t realistic.

Next year we have talent coming in.
If next year is a 22-9 or 23-8 the program needs change.

My favorite Battle moment last night is what led to Frank’s technical foul. Can somebody explain to me what the heck kind of a shot he was shooting when he took some sort of a 90mph running one hander from the foul line? Am I remember that correctly. All I do remember is screaming at the TV wt***k are you doing, and then NIT State gets the run out and Frank gets T’d up for the shove.

Often times, Battle is the only player on the court who can make his own shot or create for others. He plays 38+ mpg, and in big games he's playing 40 mpg. There are times he's out there with 3 guys who can't even dribble, and he's being asked to lead our team to score 65-70 points. Auditioning for the NBA? What would you have Battle do? Defer to Chukwu and Moyer, let them bring the ball up and take three pointers? We literally have 2 guards. One of them is wildly inconsistent, has very off shooting nights, and the other one is Battle. Our forwards, with the exception of Brissett sometimes, can not dribble or drive. We all like Moyer's and Dolezaj's energy, rebounding, and defense, but unless they are handed the ball on the block wide open, they literally catch the ball on offense, turn around, and hand it right back to Battle. Battle is like the 4th grader playing 1 on 5 against a bunch of 2nd graders. Syracuse goes as Tyus goes.

As far as saying JB has done a miracle this year... let's look at this holistically. JB is the head coach, therefore responsible for the roster. That includes recruits, early departures, and transfers. This team has been extremely mismanaged the last 2-3 years. Taurean Thompson, Tyler Lydon, Geno Thorpe could all realistically be on this team right now, but due to several reasons, directly including JB's coaching style and attitude, they are all elsewhere, leaving us with 7 scholarship players, with 3-4 of them dealing with an injury that would typically require weeks or months of healing (Frank's hand/wrist, Bourama's knees, Moyer's ankle, Chukwu's knee/back).

Without Battle, this team is probably 10-16 right now and at the bottom of the league, only above Pitt. And Battle easily could have left last year. Battle is literally the furthest thing from the problem right now.

If you think the one more year has anything to do with this season you aren’t being fair or honest.

JB is 73 years old.

I am being fair and honest. There are many fair-weather fans in Syracuse. Why do you think the football games have such bad attendance? Had we won this game, we would be 18-8, with a good chance in getting back to the NCAA tourney, which most thought was unlikely this year. That has nothing to do with good coaching? Oh...and Calipari has the exact same record as JB in a worse conference, with FAR superior talent. One more year for him?

JB is 73 years old.

lol - 8 regular season losses = TIME FOR A CHANGE!!

Oh...and Calipari has the exact same record as JB in a worse conference, with FAR superior talent. One more year for him?

Id like to think this is a result of the pressure of knowing the FBI is closing in on his ass. K has figured out how to out Kentucky, Kentucky. I hope they are coming for his ass also.

BURN it all down and start over. Truthfully , its what the world needs too. The apocalypse cant come soon enough.

XCJImDZ.gif
Not sure how many times this needs to be said...

We. Only. Want. To. Change. Up. Defenses. For. A. Couple. Possessions.

I like the zone. I like being stupid long and athletic.

You can run a Zone Defense and still switch to a M2M, Amoeba Zone, Token Press for a couple plays when the opposing team is making it rain like rappers in Magic City.

Not sure how many times this needs to be said...

We. Only. Want. To. Change. Up. Defenses. For. A. Couple. Possessions.

I like the zone. I like being stupid long and athletic.

You can run a Zone Defense and still switch to a M2M, Amoeba Zone, Token Press for a couple plays when the opposing team is making it rain like rappers in Magic City.
USA basketball played a game in Spain in the lead up to the 2010 World Championships.

The team was coached by K and JB was an assistant. The US team played man to man the entire game.
US was up 1 with 10 seconds left. Spain called TO. JB advised K to play zone out of the TO. K listened and the US team came out in zone. It confused Spain and Durant blocked the jump shot at the buzzer in the zone.
USA won.
Why? Because they switched Defenses and it confused Spain.

USA basketball played a game in Spain in the lead up to the 2010 World Championships.

The team was coached by K and JB was an assistant. The US team played man to man the entire game.
US was up 1 with 10 seconds left. Spain called TO. JB advised K to play zone out of the TO. K listened and the US team came out in zone. It confused Spain and Durant blocked the jump shot at the buzzer in the zone.
USA won.
Here is the clip.
Starts at 3:23

I would wager the only way JB only has one year left is if we get hit with a third probation.

If they didn't force him to adhere to the Hopkins agreement after the second probation, there's nothing short of wrongdoing or health problems that will get Boeheim out before he wants to retire.

Why SU didn't insist on following the succession plan, I don't know. But I think you're right; no one's steering him out for a couple mediocre seasons.

USA won.

So SU switching to a defense the opposing team plays and that almost every opponent plays against them for the entirety of every game is so going to confuse them such that they lose their composure and forget how to attack it?

Brilliant!

USA won.
This is a common error, a heuristic of the human mind. "After event X, event Y happened, so event X caused event Y". Just because something works out, doesn't mean it was causal, or even the correct decision. If, down by 1 point, the Spanish coach drew up a play for Marc Gasol to launch a 70-foot jumper, instead of having Ricky Rubio do a pick and roll with Pau Gasol, but the 70-footer with 5 seconds left went in and Spain won, would it be the correct decision? Depends on how you look at it.

With single events, we can not know the true probabilistic distribution. Maybe if, by switching from man to zone, USA decreased it's chances of winning the game at that moment from 75% to 60%. If they still win, is it the correct call? Most people say yes, but it shouldn't be based on the end result. It should be based on the process of thinking and decision making that went into that choice.

So SU switching to a defense the opposing team plays and that almost every opponent plays against them for the entirety of every game is so going to confuse them such that they lose their composure and forget how to attack it?

Brilliant!
How do you think our exclusive zone defense was the last ten minutes of the game last night? Players get in a rhythm. Switching defenses for even a minute or two keeps the opposing teams on their toes and yes, when switched to or incorporated properly, it can confuse the other team.

How do you think our exclusive zone defense was the last ten minutes of the game last night? Players get in a rhythm. Switching defenses for even a minute or two keeps the opposing teams on their toes and yes, when switched to or incorporated properly, it can confuse the other team.
If you switched to something they never saw, that would be different. But switching to the thing they always see is a different matter.

It's a silly idea that is frequently brought up here by fans who are frustrated and just want to see a change. Probably because Billy Packer told them years ago that zones were not as effective as M2M against outside shooting.

Why SU didn't insist on following the succession plan, I don't know
Newly appointed admin folks are going to overrule the highest paid & most successful employee at Syracuse, a veritable icon? Boeheim wields a helluva lot of authority.

I do think that "succession plan" was disaster both in conception and implementation. I don't know what a better solution would have been (other than one that would have infuriated a lot of people), but the SU admin was in a lot of flux during that span as well. No one had much leverage other than JAB.

Brilliant!
You not getting it doesn’t surprise me.
Team X is spending a TO drawing up a play against a Man to man defense and the opposing team comes out in zone it throws the timeout play away.
Because the team wasn’t expecting a zone defense in play design.
You can confuse the opponent.

Spain drew up a play for man to man.
USA came out in zone and it killed the play and the USA won.

If Syracuse switched defenses at select times it would confuse the opponent.

If you switched to something they never saw, that would be different. But switching to the thing they always see is a different matter.

It's a silly idea that is frequently brought up here by fans who are frustrated and just want to see a change. Probably because Billy Packer told them years ago that zones were not as effective as M2M against outside shooting.
Let me ask this another way, and in no way am I trying to come across rude, friendly basketball debate. We gave up a ton of three point shots at the end of the game. Obviously we don't know for sure, but if we had an average man to man we could play now and then, they might have less 3 point opportunities. I would rather give up 2's than 3's if they are gonna make the shots anyway. When the other team is missing, by all means, but when they get hot from outside, something needs to change.

I didn't expect a better record but I also didn't expect a guy leaving mid season, a guy who had a somewhat successful season as a freshman last year leaving for Seton Hall, not on player improving and more regressing than anything all while being a total for no reason other than to be one during pressers.

If Battle is auditioning for the NBA then JB is digging and clawing at every victory we can at the expense of our players energy, possibly health and development of other players.

Who was the last player to show significant improvement from game 1 of their freshman year until their final game in orange? Grant? Rak? More players have regressed, left or was pretty much booted.

I'm pretty frustrated and it's mainly because many could see this coming from a mile away.
We are supposed to claw to win games. I don't understand the Battle stuff, he is the best player on the team and is doing his best to help us win. He is probably the furthest thing from the problem. When we didn't get Quade and Tucker this is what the season was going to be. I think playing kids the high minutes is an issue with their energy near the end of games but it isn't the reason kids are getting hurt. There aren't enough games for that to be the case in my opinion. HW was at practice and he wasn't playing much, ankle sprains happen and Moyer wasn't playing big minutes either. The players that have gone down and had issues aren't the ones playing the big minutes (Battle, FH, OB) I don't know what other players we could be developing we are down to 6 scholly players so unless we are trying to develop Bayer or Autry Jr I don't think that is valid. We develop plenty of kids. Lydon was around the 70's in his class and was a 1st round pick after 2 years. I'm just picking the most recent example. Ennis was like in the early 30's in his class and was a 1st round pick #18. We have developed plenty of players and Boeheim does a really good job of showcasing his best players and putting them in position to be successful. I feel like many players are improving this year. FH is like top 5 in the conference in year over year scoring increase. He has really improved in a tough situation with much greater responsibility. I get that your upset and frustrated. I am too. The reality is we always knew this year was going to be 9-9 or 8-10 in conference and next year we had a chance to be really good. So I guess we can wait until the second half of this season and proclaim Boeheim is gone if we aren't good next year. Fine whatever. We are going to be good which is why people are saying it because deep down they know we will be and it will be harder to bash the zone, bash Boeheim and complain about our record since the 25-0 start once we start next season like 16-2 or whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom