Gottlieb thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb thread

Doug is absolutely right.
Poppy, I'm absolutely SHOCKED to hear this coming from you!

My problem with Doug is he doesn't talk about the warts on a MSU or UNC. He mentions we didn't play anybody, yet UNC played UK (and vice versa) way back at the beginning of the season. Then UNC gets thrashed by FSU at FSU. He says Notre Dame, Notre Dame (without Fab) but doesn't mention that we beat NC State, Cincy, Louisville and UConn all on the road. Those four wins on the road are on a par with what UNC did on the road. Yet UNC is the better team.

That's the problem, not that he picks out SU's weaknesses (and we have them) but he doesn't say a word about UNC, MSU, UK and their weaknesses. At least not at the volume and regularity with which he calls out Syracuse.

Pretty harsh, if we had hit a few more baskets would they be praising our depth at half. At Connecticut and Ville are not great road wins?

he also said its about who and where you play... ok. But isn't that what the RPI is supposed to represent? the #1 rpi? (at least last I looked)

he also said its about who and where you play... ok. But isn't that what the RPI is supposed to represent? the #1 rpi? (at least last I looked)

I didn't really get that comment either, we played teams on the road. He made it sounds like we still haven't left the state of NY.

Poppy, I'm absolutely SHOCKED to hear this coming from you!

My problem with Doug is he doesn't talk about the warts on a MSU or UNC. He mentions we didn't play anybody, yet UNC played UK (and vice versa) way back at the beginning of the season. Then UNC gets thrashed by FSU at FSU. He says Notre Dame, Notre Dame (without Fab) but doesn't mention that we beat NC State, Cincy, Louisville and UConn all on the road. Those four wins on the road are on a par with what UNC did on the road. Yet UNC is the better team.

That's the problem, not that he picks out SU's weaknesses (and we have them) but he doesn't say a word about UNC, MSU, UK and their weaknesses. At least not at the volume and regularity with which he calls out Syracuse.

All he's saying is that we don't have a true read on the team, even after 31.5 games, and a large portion of that is schedule related, while another component is that they just, in his opinion, don't "look" like a top-2 team. It's his opinion, and I think it's accurate.

We play in the Big East. Even in a relatively down year this conference is a GD meat grinder. I'll be happy to get out of the Big East in part because the BE regular season is just too wearing compared to the ACC or SEC, even the Big Ten. Too many teams and too much parity. And they are all gunning for SU this year. When Gottfried [sic] says we have played no one he's just spewing faux-stupidity. He knows damn well we run the gauntlet in this conference. There's a reason no team has ever gone undefeated in BE play.

Good thing we aren't proving Doug's point right now or anything.

All he's saying is that we don't have a true read on the team, even after 31.5 games, and a large portion of that is schedule related, while another component is that they just, in his opinion, don't "look" like a top-2 team. It's his opinion, and I think it's accurate.
SO you don't have a good read on the team at this point? Maybe you should stop posting then, if you've watched 32 SU games this year and still don't know about the team. What do I know? I know they're winners. They can get down, and come through anything to win. I know they have a lock down defense, and an answer for anything our opponents do. I know that we have different guys step up every night. I know we have senior leaders who support this team, and pick them up regardless of whether they're playing well or not. I know that they will be a load for absolutely any team in the NCAA Tournament.

The only team I've seen this year that I think we would have trouble with is Kentucky. To continue to question a team that is 31-1 and just F*CKING WINS EVERY GAME THEY PLAY seems to be sour grapes to me.

Is it always pretty? No. Do they always win? Yes.

SO you don't have a good read on the team at this point? Maybe you should stop posting then, if you've watched 32 SU games this year and still don't know about the team.

Why so defensive?

Gottdweeb just said "I dont care about Cuse 30-1 record. I dont think thier as good as UK, and as good as UNC".

"UConn is immensely talented. They could play in the 3rd weekend"

Sure, Dougie. I'll bet you one of your stolen credit cards.

So we don't look as good as UNC and UK, because we didn't look to good against a team that won the NCAA last year, has a hall of fame coach, in our 3rd game against them oh and just this second Doug said "Uconn is immensely talented that could make it to the 3rd weekend, but probably lose in the first". Nice. Sorry for the run on.

Why so defensive?
What's defensive about that statement? I'm actually constantly amazed at your piss in the cornflakes posting pattern. Yah, we can criticize the team and the way they play at points, but your voice is critical constantly. I guess from your posting pattern, I wonder if you see anything good in this team. Do you?

Gottfried also said UCONN is an immensely talented team that could be playing into the third round. Doesn't that mean SU was "tested" at least 3 times this year?

I think the reason Gottlieb turns so many of you into such a pathetic bunch of whiny children is that, deep down, you fear he is right
are you a teacher by chance?

SO you don't have a good read on the team at this point? Maybe you should stop posting then, if you've watched 32 SU games this year and still don't know about the team.
I think it is a valid point . . . toss out the RPI and the SOS and just look at the schedule . . . it is relatively weak. Only three games vs. opponents in the conversation for Top 4 seeds (Marquette, Georgetown, Florida) and they were all narrow wins at home.

Only 5 games against tournament teams in road/neutral settings, one of them a loss and 3 against teams likely be in the bottom half of the bracket (2 vs. UConn, 1 vs. Cincy), the other against a mid-seed Louisville - and all fairly narrow victories.

There is certainly reason to question whether the SU record is a bit hollow. You don't have to agree with him, but you don't have to be biased to raise that question.

What's defensive about that statement? I'm actually constantly amazed at your piss in the cornflakes posting pattern. Yah, we can criticize the team and the way they play at points, but your voice is critical constantly. I guess from your posting pattern, I wonder if you see anything good in this team. Do you?

What part of agreeing that they don't seem like a top-2 team is critical? I think you are the one being hyper sensitive.

There is nothing wrong with Doug, or ANYONE, thinking that UK and UNC are better than us. Nothing. Believe it or not, guys, not everyone is required to suck this team's collective balls at every opportunity, and if someone thinks we are only the third or fourth best team and not the first or second best doesn't mean they think we should drive the team bus off a cliff.

Good god we are so overly sensitive.

I think the reason Gottlieb turns so many of you into such a pathetic bunch of whiny children is that, deep down, you fear he is right
Honestly? Gottlieb actually never bothers me. Love his radio show, think he's a good analyst. I think it's his smug tone more than anything that irritates people. I also would say that some of the points he uses to bashes SU are similar arguments you could make against the other top teams. He never does though, not to the extent he does with Syracuse.

There is nothing wrong with Doug, or ANYONE, thinking that UK and UNC are better than us. Nothing. Believe it or not, guys, not everyone is required to suck this team's collective balls at every opportunity, and if someone thinks we are only the third or fourth best team and not the first or second best doesn't mean they think we should drive the team bus off a cliff.

Good god we are so overly sensitive.

I have a great Gottlieb credit card joke, but ill keep it to myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom