Gross Fired | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gross Fired

Boston >>> Central NY.

Jake didn't F anything up.

So much stupid sometimes. BC was always the number 2 slot behind Miami (which was the real prize at that time).

If we're going to play that game, let's at least credit Jake for going to Dartmouth with Gavitt. Because that was at least a major factor in getting us into the club right off the bat.

Jake understood football until the game got more complicated. And what I mean by the game is the bells and whistles such as facilities, fundraising, et al.

cost more to keep a crappy coach than pay him off and move on in the modern day of college football-and its not like hcss is making saban money, he is one of the lowest paid acc coach's

hcss either wins and gets a bowl or he will be gone- new ad will want his guy if hcss cant win

So much stupid sometimes. BC was always the number 2 slot behind Miami (which was the real prize at that time).

If we're going to play that game, let's at least credit Jake for going to Dartmouth with Gavitt. Because that was at least a major factor in getting us into the club right off the bat.

Jake understood football until the game got more complicated. And what I mean by the game is the bells and whistles such as facilities, fundraising, et al.

Thank you.

FSU and GT wanted Miami, BC and SU. SU was the school to satisfy the hoops side while also giving football a solid program.

After the public courtship ended up in the ACC taking only Miami and VT, Jake and Shaw decided they had enough (probably helped them that Boeheim didn't want to leave the BE). BC turned heel on the BE and jumped before anyone knew what happened.

Thank you.

FSU and GT wanted Miami, BC and SU. SU was the school to satisfy the hoops side while also giving football a solid program.

After the public courtship ended up in the ACC taking only Miami and VT, Jake and Shaw decided they had enough (probably helped them that Boeheim didn't want to leave the BE). BC turned heel on the BE and jumped before anyone knew what happened.

I hope you've mentally prepared yourself to handle the blow of Giasante's inevitable departure Full Rebar. I know you're a big fan :)

blah

she was there when the ACC took us. crouthamel was there when the ACC wanted to take us before mark warner forced VT on them.

Yeah but back in 2003 Rutgers, Uconn, and Louisville weren't viable threats to us getting in the ACC as they were in 2011

Thank you.

This is exactly how it went down. After Miami and VPI were added SU expressed loyalty to the BE and decided to work with the teams. In the leaked BE minutes meeting from 2003 at the meeting BC talked both sides saying they wanted an all-sports league, wanted to remain with BB schools, and were also back channeling with the ACC for the 12th spot once the NCAA told the ACC no championship game without 12 teams. Jake said at that meeting if the BE expanded to 16 teams 8 all sports and 8 basketball schools he would resign. The BE did it and Jake soon right after announced his retirement. Jake didn't have the energy to want to deal with the Frankenstein 16 team Big East and he got out. Syracuse remained loyal to the Big East while Boston College talked out of both sides and eventually in October 2003 were announced as the 12th ACC team the day we smashed them at the Dome in FB. I remember people throwing dollar bills at the BC people.

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 28m28 minutes ago
Get to know the committee members who will help find Syracuse a new athletic director: http://bit.ly/1MKPXGD via @MinkNate

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse is looking for a new athletic director in the wake of Daryl Gross' departure after 10 years.

Pete Sala will serve as the interim athletic director until the university finds its man (or woman). No timeline has been established on when the university hopes to name Gross' permanent successor.

Tasked with helping that search is a small committee made up of university constituents.

Five members of the search committee were announced in a release by Chancellor Kent Syverud.

Also sitting on the committee will be a head coach, faculty and student representatives and a representative from the Office of University Counsel, which oversees athletics compliance.

Here are brief snapshots of the five known committee members:

Steve Ballentine
The chair of the search committee, Ballentine sits on the Board of Trustees and serves on the Board's Athletics Committee and the Board's Investment and Endowment Committee.

Ballentine is president and chief executive officer of Ballentine Capital Management, which he founded in 1989.

Robert Miron
Miron is chairman of Discovery Communications, the world's No. 1 pay-TV programmer.

He also served as chairman of Advance/Newhouse Communications and Bright House Networks from 2002 through 2010, when he retired. Miron was inducted into Broadcasting & Cable's Hall of Fame in 2002 and the Cable Television Hall of Fame in 2001.

He chairs the Board of Trustee's Athletics Committee.

Lavonda Reed
Reed is the associate provost for faculty affairs and a law professor at Syracuse.

She joined the law faculty in 2006 after previously spending time at Louisville.

Reed had been a judicial clerk for Donald W. VanArtsdalen, of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

Pete Sala
As mentioned above, Sala is the interim athletic director until the search for a new, permanent AD is completed.

Sala has been the university's senior associate director of athletics for facilities since 2005 and the managing director of the Carrier Dome since 2010.

He started at the Carrier Dome in 1982 as a production assistant and is now in charge of all day-to-day operations of the building, including scheduling events, managing the box office and maintaining the budget. He leads a staff of more than 400 full- or part-time employees.

Barry Wells
Wells is a special assistant to the Chancellor.

He founded Syracuse's Office of Minority Affairs in 1976 and was the university's former senior vice president and dean of student affairs until he transitioned to serve as a consultant to SU on higher education issues.

In his letter to the university community, Syverud said the committee will also review and recommend structural changes in the athletic department and possibly create a new position to manage all department operations.

Disagree. I think it is hard to argue on the one hand that the ACC clearly wanted both Miami and BC over us (and my emphasis is more on BC than Miami obviously) and saw VT in 2003 as a near equivalent (they did get 5 of 9 affirmative votes for an initial visit and consideration as one of three to be invited after all) and then say well in 2011 we were a 'lock' since they wanted us in the 90s and again in 2003. Obviously something happened to decrease our value to the ACC from 1990 to 2003 that allowed BC to overtake us and for VT to be considered a near equal replacement. Honestly, had Jake remained AD up until 2011 I think it would be hard to argue that just as BC surpassed us with our only having 3 mediocre years in football from 99 to 02, that both Rutgers and UConn wouldn't have appeared just as enticing as BC in 2003.

So in that regard, giving Gross little to no credit for the ACC move (obviously no one single individual is ever responsible for that kind of move) is being short-sighted, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

Vandy AD who has a relationship with the new Chancellor is probably going to be target 1 if he is interested.
He is apparently the highest paid in the country.

Neither are we.

ACES_STS-130.jpg
I appreciate you getting Orange into the scheme, but you couldn't get #44 or the Dome or a Big Blue "S" on there somewhere?

Ummm, no, he did not let BC take our spot.

Oh God, I remember these discussions. He didn't fight hard enough! Yeah, if maybe he picked up our campus and dropped it into the heart of Manhattan, we may have jumped ahead of BC in the pecking order.

Perfect storm of Duke/UNC voting no for any expansion, and the critical 3rd vote, UVA being held at gunpoint by Warner.

All's well that ends well. Even if I'll never get 2004 to 2012 back.

Oh God, I remember these discussions. He didn't fight hard enough! Yeah, if maybe he picked up our campus and dropped it into the heart of Manhattan, we may have jumped ahead of BC in the pecking order.

Perfect storm of Duke/UNC voting no for any expansion, and the critical 3rd vote, UVA being held at gunpoint by Warner.

All's well that ends well. Even if I'll never get 2004 to 2012 back.
gmac singlehandedly saved those 8 years

Disagree. I think it is hard to argue on the one hand that the ACC clearly wanted both Miami and BC over us (and my emphasis is more on BC than Miami obviously) and saw VT in 2003 as a near equivalent (they did get 5 of 9 affirmative votes for an initial visit and consideration as one of three to be invited after all) and then say well in 2011 we were a 'lock' since they wanted us in the 90s and again in 2003. Obviously something happened to decrease our value to the ACC from 1990 to 2003 that allowed BC to overtake us and for VT to be considered a near equal replacement. Honestly, had Jake remained AD up until 2011 I think it would be hard to argue that just as BC surpassed us with our only having 3 mediocre years in football from 99 to 02, that both Rutgers and UConn wouldn't have appeared just as enticing as BC in 2003.

So in that regard, giving Gross little to no credit for the ACC move (obviously no one single individual is ever responsible for that kind of move) is being short-sighted, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

Do you really believe that? I didn't realize that Syracuse was such a downtrodden school, athletically, in 2003 when Jake left. The brand was national enough in that whenever the realignment was going to happen again, we were a first round pick. Whether it was the ACC or the Big 10 we were finding a home.

Regarding 2003, Miami was picks 1-100 in the eyes of ACC. The other two programs were partners who were going along for the ride. I believe Boston was the second pick all along regardless of how it played out. V-Tech was just an inside bag job that you can't put a value on vs BC and Syracuse. It was leverage coupled with them being actually good at that time to support the move.

Sala is a great guy, hard worker and a nuts and bolts guy. This weekend will be a breeze.

He's also the perfect interim guy. No one is going to be waving the Pete Sala banner to be the next AD, not even Pete.

If you put anyone else from the ADs office there, they might start thinking it could be theirs long term.

Sala is a great guy, hard worker and a nuts and bolts guy. This weekend will be a breeze.

He's also the perfect interim guy. No one is going to be waving the Pete Sala banner to be the next AD, not even Pete.

If you put anyone else from the ADs office there, they might start thinking it could be theirs long term.

i would assume the AD role can't be left unfilled for a long time? is this something that will happen quickly?

And it's not like Daryl Gross would've been some big help with coordinating facilities stuff.

"Hey Joel Billy, come over here, let me show you our Manhattan style lounge, i'm in a new york state of mind too, let me get my selfie stick!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom