Hobart Game... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Hobart Game...

There's plenty to say but for now it feels great to see Dordevic finally show people what he's made of and why people were talking about him so much in the preseason. His shooting might not be as good as some, but his ability to get separation is so ridiculous that it more than makes up for it. When you can beat your man with that much consistency the goals are just inevitable.

And people underestimate the psychological aspect of coming back after a lower body injury of the nature Tucker endured. That's why I think the one goal where he was on his knees with complete disregard for the impact on his legs may end up being one of the most significant of the season.

Some thoughts:
-for much of the game, it seemed like Oladunmoye was the best ssdm on the field (and given the depth at that position, that's saying a lot); Dearth is still "the man" but Dami is the real deal
-Porter didn't have his best game but I thought Hobart is one of the best-shooting teams we've seen in a while (and, as others have said, they're likely to have a pretty good season)
-Desko's comments about the second midfield line not getting in a "rhythm" seem true; in the last couple of games it feels like Quinn, especially, has taken a couple steps backward. It would be nice to seem them have a "breakout" game like what Dordevic had today.
-it seems like Kennedy's achilles heel is frustration and I think the coaches will help him sort that out.
-player comments about conditioning seem to be borne out by fourth quarter results; it seemed like the Orange had a lot more in the tank in the fourth quarter than Hobart.

Interesting observation from Beardsley on his radio show today...

Kennedy is better at LSM and hates playing close. Once Mellen gets back, look out !

Some thoughts: ...

... player comments about conditioning seem to be borne out by fourth quarter results; it seemed like the Orange had a lot more in the tank in the fourth quarter than Hobart.

It seemed that SU played the second mid line a lot. Did Hobart do the same?

Hope Phaup is ok, looked like he went off slowly holding his shoulder.
desko was asked and said post game that Phaup "got banged but he's fine . ,,unless something tightens up" . hope so too . seeing FOGO #37 holding his shoulder walking off the field brings back bad memories.

It seemed that SU played the second mid line a lot. Did Hobart do the same?

Well according to some Hobart fans posting on the LaxPower site they did not utilize their depth well enough and some seem to mention that's a common thing issue under the current HC.

Interesting observation from Beardsley on his radio show today...

Kennedy is better at LSM and hates playing close. Once Mellen gets back, look out !
Beardsley problably right but staff is high on him at close as future one. . Thought Kennedy d on talented Holden was fine but those cheap penalties certainly hurt.. Holden scored twice in a ten second sequence where he scored after slashed n scored again in ten seconds later on ensuing man up .. Other than that sequence, his other score came when Kennedy slide off to help, he'll do that because he still has lsm instincts where Mellen will stick with cover. Im mixed on what is best for overall d . It was coordinated and good again and perhaps not being given enough credit . Dami and DiPietro played well. Porter faced very few inside shots as crease protected well . Hobart O turned ball over a few times after failing to get shot on goal in eighty seconds n we were physical on both ends. Held a very good offense to only 20 shots on goal despite 4 man downs , no faceoff advantage and Porter not seeing ball as well as usual. Otherwise could have held a very good Hobart offense to single digits. Mellen doing jumps on sidelines so gotta be close to return. Now hoping Dearth is fine.

Let’s see how far we can ride our 1st line middies! Welcome back Tucker! Cool how the vision from a few years ago of Curry’s speed, Trimboli’s alley dodge, and Tordevic’s feet is coming to fruition and were all on display in one game.

I like the invert offense with the one 1st line middie not covered by the pole initiating the offense. Who needs an attack?! Teams should put poles on all of our 1st line middies, and then we’ll see if our attack can beat a SSDM. Or if we face a team with a really good SSDM, then that will be interesting/scary.

At least we got some production from our attack today (good split dodge by Cook and great shot by Rehfuss), but they are kind of like the bench in basketball, and anything we get from them is a bonus. Cook is a really good rider though (not generally the 1st thing you say about your starting attackman). I’ve now come to grips that our attack cannot create much offense and that Chase is not a true #22 (probably shouldn’t have given him that jersey/pressure), but what a 1st line middie group we have!

Last edited:
No mention about Dearth in the postgame from Desko. I will say... I noticed at the end of the highlights on Youtube they show the bench as time is running out and Dearth is on the sideline with his helmet on and doesn't appear to be treating the Hammy. Maybe that is a good sign? Take it as you wish

No mention about Dearth in the postgame from Desko. I will say... I noticed at the end of the highlights on Youtube they show the bench as time is running out and Dearth is on the sideline with his helmet on and doesn't appear to be treating the Hammy. Maybe that is a good sign? Take it as you wish

Do you really want to be massaging your ass in front of 4,000 people?

Let’s see how far we can ride our 1st line middies! Welcome back Tucker! Cool how the vision from a few years ago of Curry’s speed, Trimboli’s alley dodge, and Tordevic’s feet is coming to fruition and were all on display in one game.

I like the invert offense with the one 1st line middie not covered by the pole initiating the offense. Who needs an attack?! Teams should put poles on all of our 1st line middies, and then we’ll see if our attack can beat a SSDM. Or if we face a team with a really good SSDM, then that will be interesting/scary.

At least we got some production from our attack today (good split dodge by Cook and great shot by Rehfuss), but they are kind of like the bench in basketball, and anything we get from them is a bonus. Cook is a really good rider though (not generally the 1st thing you say about your starting attackman). I’ve now come to grips that our attack cannot create much offense and that Chase is not a true #22 (probably shouldn’t have given him that jersey/pressure), but what a 1st line middie group we have!

Um, Scanlan is leading the team in scoring. He’s averaging more than 4 points a game. Anyone who is expecting him to dodge like Michael Sowers clearly didn’t watch any Loyola games last year. That’s not his game. Scoring goals is his game. He has 13 in four games. Leave the kid alone and let him play.

Watching the replay and Scanlan almost had the nastiest play ever on a fast break with two minutes left in the second quarter. Went for a behind the back bounce pass to Rehfuss which he probably could have handled but he initially thought it was a shot and turned away from the ball. Thought Scanlan just did something dumb when I saw it live but it was actually pretty unbelievable. To bad Rehfuss didn’t expect it at all.

It’s going to be a long year. Need the 2nd line to step up their performance a bit.

Could do without the early injuries in key spots

It’s going to be a long year. Need the 2nd line to step up their performance a bit.

Could do without the early injuries in key spots
May be time for some new blood on the 2nd line. There's some good talent on the bench.

I’m a casual lacrosse fan and last night’s game was the first I’ve been able to watch this year, but I have a question for all of you that follow it more regularly. Is crosschecking not a penalty in lacrosse? I couldn’t believe how many times our defensemen gave a hard crosscheck to the neck or head of a Hobart player and not get a penalty. Some of those would be suspensions in hockey.

I also love this offense. It reminds me of those teams in the early 2000s when I was in school. It seems like they had gone away from that freewheeling SU style in recent years.

I’m a casual lacrosse fan and last night’s game was the first I’ve been able to watch this year, but I have a question for all of you that follow it more regularly. Is crosschecking not a penalty in lacrosse? I couldn’t believe how many times our defensemen gave a hard crosscheck to the neck or head of a Hobart player and not get a penalty. Some of those would be suspensions in hockey.

I also love this offense. It reminds me of those teams in the early 2000s when I was in school. It seems like they had gone away from that freewheeling SU style in recent years.
Kennedy got a cross-check penalty in the 3rd qtr last night.

Officiating is bad. Stuff gets missed. ;)

what happened to dearth ? radio said he got up and was glaring at knox like he took some cheap shot ?
illumination anybody ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom