Hobart Game... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Hobart Game...

The announcers said it looked like his hamstring was hurting when he came off the field for the last time.

The announcers said it looked like his hamstring was hurting when he came off the field for the last time.
Yeah it looked like a non-contact injury if I am recalling the play correctly.

Some thoughts:
-for much of the game, it seemed like Oladunmoye was the best ssdm on the field (and given the depth at that position, that's saying a lot); Dearth is still "the man" but Dami is the real deal
-Porter didn't have his best game but I thought Hobart is one of the best-shooting teams we've seen in a while (and, as others have said, they're likely to have a pretty good season)
-Desko's comments about the second midfield line not getting in a "rhythm" seem true; in the last couple of games it feels like Quinn, especially, has taken a couple steps backward. It would be nice to seem them have a "breakout" game like what Dordevic had today.
-it seems like Kennedy's achilles heel is frustration and I think the coaches will help him sort that out.
-player comments about conditioning seem to be borne out by fourth quarter results; it seemed like the Orange had a lot more in the tank in the fourth quarter than Hobart.
agree about Dami, but I thought Aviles played very well again too. Hobart has some high caliber offensive players. Hard to cover guys. I think they are good enough to test the better D1 teams. It's been a long time since I remember the ssdms being the strength of the defense, but they come close now. Still love to watch Helmer, a quiet assassin.

Um, Scanlan is leading the team in scoring. He’s averaging more than 4 points a game. Anyone who is expecting him to dodge like Michael Sowers clearly didn’t watch any Loyola games last year. That’s not his game. Scoring goals is his game. He has 13 in four games. Leave the kid alone and let him play.
That's correct. Also part of a good ride and his vision passing skills are excellent.

Watched replay. Accuracy of our mids, Dordevic, Curry , Trimboli, was spot on and that made a huge difference. Be a force if that continues because poles have hard time staying in front. Dordevic and Curry initiating behind cage is a problem for defenses. Good to see Buttermore get off . Showed his quickness k release off smaller opening and also his array .Looked like 2019 butter. Cook rides are more impactful than any boxscore reflects . Hobart did a nice job clearing for most of game but they eventually wilted. ( btw, our clearing at 91% to date) Somehow overlooked is Scanlan scoring four . High conversion whenever he gets the ball in his spots ,great hands and great snap passes. Believe still adapting to our ways and his role within. .He's gonna be big on man up if we ever get calls. Kennedy first penalty on slide to shooter was unavoidable as dodging scorer was falling into his knees, overly aggressive yesterday but his slides to open shooters prevented some real good looks for Hobart. Off ball play of backline has been good. DiPietro with some grounders in traffic and a hockey assist that doesn't show in stats. Dami looking like a AA dm despite his layoff. Still prone in transition D and fortunate that big missed wide on a gimme at goal mouth and drop feed in front . Man down D still vulnerable Hobart 3-4. Still many more positives. more good than bad. Very encouraging win agaisnt a good opponent despite even faceoffs and Drake not being Houdini. Onto to Hopkins

I thought the defense played relatively well - where they feel into trouble was when Hobart attacked the goal sooner then they were expecting. Outside of Holden I don't think many Statesmen players were "beating" their man all that often. They just seemed to know when to strike. Also Hobart can absolutly sting corners. Will the defense need to play better in the future? Absolutely, but they also showed a lot of good things. Aviles looked like a different player, much more aggresive in challenging his man, and I think DiPietro does a lot of the little things well that are often over looked in a defenseman. Lastly, Hobart employed the 10 man ride throughout the game and Syracuse didn't really seem to have any trouble with it at all (14-16). I think they still struggle a bit with when to slide, but I don't really have a problem with any of the individual defenders. Curious to see what happens when Mellen comes back, hopefully it is this week.

I thought the defense played relatively well - where they feel into trouble was when Hobart attacked the goal sooner then they were expecting. Outside of Holden I don't think many Statesmen players were "beating" their man all that often. They just seemed to know when to strike. Also Hobart can absolutly sting corners. Will the defense need to play better in the future? Absolutely, but they also showed a lot of good things. Aviles looked like a different player, much more aggresive in challenging his man, and I think DiPietro does a lot of the little things well that are often over looked in a defenseman. Lastly, Hobart employed the 10 man ride throughout the game and Syracuse didn't really seem to have any trouble with it at all (14-16). I think they still struggle a bit with when to slide, but I don't really have a problem with any of the individual defenders. Curious to see what happens when Mellen comes back, hopefully it is this week.
Unless Mellen practices early this week its unlikely he plays Saturday. My guess is more likely Rutgers. Newer defense has jelled nicely. Kennedy had those penalties that resulted in man down scores and beat down alley for score but he's limiting talented ones well enough and has that quickness to roam and recover than just stick. Marked tapes of all four games and the actual numbers of ones when he's been on ball have been 0-0, 0-0, 1-1 and 2-1 with neither Nichetrn or Holden scoring in second halves with one assist between. Also watched the primary and secondary slides of all and respectfully disagree about slides, believe that they have been timely especially in context of our approach where we slide later than earlier.. Backline been hedging well and moving in and out to depending on ball location rather than just worrying about cover and that is good team d. Off ball awareness has been good with few instances of ball watching , DiPietro showing capable stick and carry, as you noted little problem with ten man ride as crisp passing and close has ability to run by if pressed. Appreciate Murphy's physicality. On tape there were some down hill dodges l and separation from up top by Hobart mids that resulted in some scores but that's gonna happen when pressuring . Two new dm's have strengthened unit and given it greater offensive potential. Dami displaying strong fundamentals with his feet and checks. Aviles showing game to game improvement. Still hoping to see more upfield transition and still think Kennedy possibly returns on occasion to lsm as originally planned when Mellen returns Fernandez is great on wing though Phaup winning most outright. Helmer bit larger and that size will be needed to be put to use more agaisnt certain opponents. Biggest defensive issue to date has been man down but also have noted that Colgate and Hobart have been very efficient on man up agaisnt all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom