Hobart Gameday... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Hobart Gameday...

glad deere got chance n scored twice but still feel i would of thru birt downlow n gave hottle or Kellogg maby even mccarthy run at mid in birts spot. Deere is talented but he is slow don’t have range as birt does n birt can least dodge n think birt better finisher for sure. But congrats deere for scoring twice n team sloppy win. That’s 2 straight games now joey hasn’t scored believe as don’t recall him scoring at duke could be wrong. But he def had more than handful of chances to score and just didn’t convert. We somehow seem to not bury some really good open looks with the skills n talent of these dudes just boggles my mind. Had feeling also this may be the time man down gives up a goal but they have been solid.

Hopefully everyone can rest get warmed n then really work hard in practice this week as ND is gonna prob be ready to play and gonna be hard game. ND rides very well so def need be ready for that. Hopefully kohn and mullens day vs duke was just them little winded as seem to struggle in beginning of hobart game. Lynch is very solid fogo n came on at end last year. Hope those guys are injured or battling anything and if are get rest they need cause they will be big part of how game goes. Mark not as great as duke came but very solid hope he keeps sweatpants going and has another big game vs ND.

Mule and Spallina are plenty good at dodging. I like trying Deere there for now
It’s Hobart… The top teams in the country think so little of Mule’s dodging that they literally put a SSDM on him (an attackman… this is not common), and Spallina hasn’t beaten a good defender this whole year (we’re literally having to run picks for him at X because he can’t beat a good defender 1 on 1). However, Spallina has elite vision, Mule is a great finisher, and we’re rolling as a team, so I get the excitement, but I’m not sure about saying they’re good dodgers

solid win. indoor cats getting some fresh cold air in their lungs and mud in their claws.

Was hoping the the game would be available to rewatch, I wanted to see if the ball did go in or not on the goal that was waved off.

It’s Hobart… The top teams in the country think so little of Mule’s dodging that they literally put a SSDM on him (an attackman… this is not common), and Spallina hasn’t beaten a good defender this whole year (we’re literally having to run picks for him at X because he can’t beat a good defender 1 on 1). However, Spallina has elite vision, Mule is a great finisher, and we’re rolling as a team, so I get the excitement, but I’m not sure about saying they’re good dodgers
They are extremely good dodgers. We are watching different footage here. The only reason Mule has a short stick on him is because English and Leo are such dodging problems. Spallina draws slides every game. He gets most of his assists because of the attention the defense gives him. He will never be Mr. Speedy but there are more ways to be effective as a dodger. You are not giving them enough credit.

Was hoping the the game would be available to rewatch, I wanted to see if the ball did go in or not on the goal that was waved off.

Multiple Hobart fans are saying in fanlax that the shot went in.

Clearly missing an elite dodger at attack. As Jeremy and others have noted… hopefully next year it’s the highly touted Anderson. Hiltz, Spallina, Anderson at attack and we go. Might be ahead of schedule as of now

Last edited:

Looked like it went in on the video feed even the Syracuse players acted like it went in. Video is too far away and the replay was the same footage I couldn’t tell what happened . The announcers mentioned something about the actual goal not being on its corner or something.

Like who, Brennan O’Neil?

I think it’d be nice to have a pure dodger to round out the attack, but it’s a luxury, not a necessity. Everyone gets shut down at times.
Was thinking the same. I haven’t seen too many players that can get away from their defender (long pole) without a pick helping them. Our pick game needs to be better.

Looked like it went in on the video feed even the Syracuse players acted like it went in. Video is too far away and the replay was the same footage I couldn’t tell what happened . The announcers mentioned something about the actual goal not being on its corner or something.
I watched it again.. frame by frame.. looks like it hits on the ground and possibly hits Marks foot then hits the side of the netting... imo the net would be impossible to move like it did if it went in the goal

Like who, Brennan O’Neil?

I think it’d be nice to have a pure dodger to round out the attack, but it’s a luxury, not a necessity. Everyone gets shut down at times.
We have an elite attack unit putting up some of the best numbers in the country. Not sure why people need it to look a certain way if they are getting the job done at a high level consistently. If they could not dodge at all we would not have one of the best offenses in the country, plan and simple. Any lack of ankle breaking ability is more than canceled out by their feeding/playmaking.

The offense is elite and people are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for things to complain about. About all I want to see is a little more focus when it’s time to bury the rock. Also some more patience looking for the best shot instead of settling for a mediocre look early in the shot clock. I do not think we need a Dordevic or Curry

Was thinking the same. I haven’t seen too many players that can get away from their defender (long pole) without a pick helping them. Our pick game needs to be better.
Disagree here as I think our pick game is as good as any offense in the nation. We create a boatload of looks off of picks. Not sure how it could get much better

We have an elite attack unit putting up some of the best numbers in the country. Not sure why people need it to look a certain way if they are getting the job done at a high level consistently. If they could not dodge at all we would not have one of the best offenses in the country, plan and simple. Any lack of ankle breaking ability is more than canceled out by their feeding/playmaking.

The offense is elite and people are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for things to complain about. About all I want to see is a little more focus when it’s time to bury the rock. Also some more patience looking for the best shot instead of settling for a mediocre look early in the shot clock. I do not think we need a Dordevic or Curry
Needing an elite dodger is antiquated thinking at its best. I agree with you, this attack unit does not need an elite dodger with everyone playing with their head up. I do disagree with you and I believe our pick game could be even better - but that comes with time and chemistry, something we are seeing develop throughout the season.

I guess I wouldn’t go as far as to call SU’s attack “elite”. I think I’d still put them behind teams like UVA, Notre Dame, Penn State and Cornell. They are very good, and the key is in most games they’ve been “good enough” to win. What makes the offense very good, is its ability to take what the defense gives them, and punish them for it. Whoever seems to have a short stick on them can take advantage. They can score from outside but their crafty passing can also take care of inside scoring opportunities. They also have what I have to think is the best second midfield in the country. With so few teams employing a decent second unit, I think this gives the Orange a huge advantage in most games.

I agree that high volume shooters are not what this offense needs. I do wonder if something more could be unlocked with this team if they had someone who could dodge more effectively though. It’s a double edge sword for sure. Most cases if you have a guy who can get their own shot, they end up taking a lot of them and the ball tends to die in their stick. What makes the SU offense special is that does not happen. Finding that sort of player is hard to come by. As things stand, as long as Mule can make teams think twice about shorting him, the team will be in good shape.

I think some of the negativity comes from people seeing how explosive this team still could be. I don’t think we are seeing the best from some players, specifically Birtwistle, English or Thomson. I still wish Rhoa was shooting the ball a lot more than he is. But to know the offense is playing this well with those guys not having their best season is also exciting, since they still have room to grow. Hopefully they get there.

some info from around the water cooler and important to note and I think not having a mid week game this week is very good is that in addition to Hiltz being hurt and not playing is I was also told Joey Spallina is also hurting still from Delaware game. Apparently was urged to sit yesterday and refused Was actually told from someone in the know he was cleared for the Duke Game a few hours before face off and was still dealing with it yesterday Thought is he should be better by ND game can not lose him and love him battling through. Kids a good one

Connor Shellenberger one of the best if not the best in college lacrosse gets a pick every single dodge I watch every UVA game and they always pick for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Top Bottom