I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I hope Malachi doesn't regret his decision now

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys realize that Dave Joerger is a great coach. Boogie is one of the best centers in the NBA, if not the best.

He'll have every opportunity to grow into a great NBA player.

This thread... wow.
Yeah, I was disappointed to see him go to Sacramento, but there is an opportunity there for sure. He'll likely play a decent amount.

Really weird draft for the Kings. Had their selection order gone Skal, Malachi, Greek guy they might be getting praised today.

Any idea what the plan is in Orlando?

Smart move is probably to share an apartment with another player on the team. If his family comes to live with him though, maybe a house is a good idea.

Maybe he will be like Carter Williams and be smart with his money.

Although has anyone mentioned endorsement deals and other sources of income the NBA brings malachi?

Although has anyone mentioned endorsement deals and other sources of income the NBA brings malachi?
You only get other sources of income if you're a lottery pick. It's in the CBA.

I'm kidding of course.

two3zone said:
Clown thread bro. Mali wrote his own ticket. He's now officially an NBA player and got his picture with the Commish on the stage. He has every opportunity to work on his game and make himself successful. Your post is selfish, uneducated and stupid. Its very hard for me to believe that somebody who made a decison that put 7 figures in his bank account thinks its a bad one. Go chill in your man cave while Mali continues to work his ass off on his game. Loser.

Anyone that uses the term bro and calling someone a loser because you don't agree with their opinion is going places.

Last edited:

Reading the Forbes magazine article it sounds like the agent collects that for the rookie contract.

All of the discussion is basically nonsense. Either he's going to put the work in and bust his ass to get that 2nd contract or he's not. Whether he left this year, next or even after 4, it all ends up the same situation. He has the size, he has the ability, its basically up to him to get it done.

No friggin way would I advise Richardson to buy a house in the Big Tomato.

I would as an investment and as a way to get some deductions...but, first he needs a real financial adviser (which I'm sure he already has).

This is a fallacy. It doesn't work like that. People like to post this nonsense as some kind of justification, but it just doesn't happen nearly as often as people think it does. Occasionally? Sure and usually with some extenuating circumstances (e.g., Dunn and his injuries). Generally, if a player isn't good enough to get drafted in the first round as a frosh, they're not going to get drafted in the lottery the next year just because.

So, what you're saying is that the VA game was a fluke and he'd never be able to improve his draft stock over 22, therefore this was the best he could hope for? I think I disagree.

And, if it happens, it's not a fallacy. Is it risky? I don't know, maybe. What would I do? I don't know. Am I saying Mal made the wrong decision? No, I'm not.

I'm just stating the fact that a lottery pick next year vs 22nd this year is a financial trade off that should be considered.

Guess this officially marks SU as one of those One&Done programs we used to detest.

For one thing, the inflow of athletes will have to be sped up to feed the revolving door. ("A star is bo..a star is bo..a star is bo..McC/Mal we hardly knew ya!")

Does that mean we have to advertise for players? ("Come to the land of the Upstate BungeeBallers. A crate of free oranges with every schollie. WE STILL HAVE VACANCIES HERE!!! I'm talkin' to YOU, Taureen!).

Every year's roster will be a Gumpian box of chocolates. We used to worry about how the next crop of recruits would fill one or two specific holes in the lineup to fit our previous style. Now we can shuffle and deal a new deck and a new style every year. Tired of Ennis and the half-court game? Let's run and gun with KJ (oops, bad example). Worried about getting pushed around with Lydon at center? Chukwu and a senior DC will be blocks of granite in the middle this year. Will this be an offensive or a defensive year? (Maybe they'll alternate.)

Malachi will shift from the 3 to the 2 this year (oops, he shifted to Sacramento - scratch that). Lydon was needed at the 4 and 5 spot last year, which means he'll be a 3 this year. I have no idea whether Gillon will play the 1 or the 2. . . the only certainty is that he's short by Orange standards.

SU used to redshirt and groom players for the 4-5 year haul. Players hung around long enough to go from hated to loved (Scoop) and from loved to hated (Fab). Now it seems those days are gone. Can you say c-o-n-t-i-n-u-i-t-y? I knew you couldn't. Let's just call it Climate Change.-VBOF:bang:

I would as an investment and as a way to get some deductions...but, first he needs a real financial adviser (which I'm sure he already has).
No idea if he will be Sacramento the entire year...if he buys a house he needs to buy furniture and it is way to easy for friends and family to freeload. Get an apartment on a short term lease, rent much of your furniture, invest a minimum of 40% of your gross income... he'll thank me in 10 years.

Mali made the right decision after last night - too much uncertainty if he came back. What if he tore his ACL in January of next year>? What if without G/Cooney getting all the attention Mali would struggle to be the guy? What if Battle came in and became the alpha dog and Mali took a back seat to a freshman? (for the record, I don't think any of that will happen, just playing devil's advocate). He's a first round pick, he gets the guaranteed contract on a team that is dying for a SG and a team that he will see the floor a lot; a team that has as talented of a big man that's in the league and a team that has a pass-first PG. One thing is for sure, he will get his opportunity to earn that 2nd contract - he won't be stuck behind a bunch of SG"s where playing time is scarce, he'l lhave his chance.

Love Mali for what he did while he was here, hope he is a huge success in the NBA and pushes the 'Cuse brand even more.None of us will ever forget what he did vs. Brogdon to get us to the Final 4.

we act as if another year at SU significantly changes the odds of getting a 2nd nba contract

the stay in school crowd just assumes it would happen

Stay in school crowd also just assumes that he jumps to the lotto next year as a given as well. Melo Trimble probably thought that too.

Last edited:
I cannot believe there is a "rent is high in Cali" series of posts. Reeeeaaaaccchh.

$2200 for a 1 bedroom in downtown SD right now!

Stay in school crowd also just assumes that he jumps to the lotto next year as a given as well. Melo Trimble probably though that too.

Melo Trimble
Marcus Smart
Terrence Morris

No idea if he will be Sacramento the entire year...if he buys a house he needs to buy furniture and it is way to easy for friends and family to freeload. Get an apartment on a short term lease, rent much of your furniture, invest a minimum of 40% of your gross income... he'll thank me in 10 years.

Live in the same building as Denzel Perryman of the Chargers who was a rookie last year. Has a 2 bedroom apt that costs about $2600 a month and now splits with his cousin Dreamius Smith who was called up from the practice squad at the end of the season. Has a Ford Raptor that is pretty nice. Was impressed with how smart he was in not just going out and blowing a ton of money on stupid crap right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom