Jeff stoutland | Syracusefan.com

Jeff stoutland

shu 49

All Conference
He would be my number one guy the more I research him. Best oline guy in nfl they say. Former su coach. Would easily bring in the big uglies cause he knows what it takes to play in nfl. I’m sure he has the ability to build staff and he also knows ereas we need to recruit. Works in the dmv so I’m sure he has a lot of pull in and around there. Be the first guy I would talk to.

I’m in line with 3 options.

1 being an OL based coach. Without an OL we are nothing. So even if we don’t have the sexiest O out there but an above average OL, we will be a competent and competitive team I would think.

2 being a proven HC up and comer. I don’t want to hire an up and coming coordinator I want to hire an up and coming HC with proven winning program in a tough environment **cough** chesney

3 being a household name HC. A home run hire in regards to national name.

So your pick does fall in line with my 3 ideal options.

O line fixes so much. You can run effectively without a talented RB. You can protect a QB and give him an extra second in the pocket to find an open receiver. The WRs have time to get open which makes them better. You move the chains, rest the D and make them more effective. In my mind, they are the most important unit on the team. Give me any coach who can recruit a big, talented O line.

I appreciate the snarky ageism comments here. But the facts are the facts: the game is a young man's game. I do not want, under any circumstances, a 60 year old guy coaching the Orange. This isn't plug and play. This is a rebuild.

The only one that i would entertain is Doug Marrone because he frankly knows what he's getting into to some extent and can find his way around Manley.

I'm also very biased towards a rank and file NFL coordinator type coming in and fixing this.

"Shy kids don't get treats". This is a shy kid move.

I'm always all in on an offensive minded coach. Hire out your D coordinator. It's easier to find someone on that side of the ball (See Babers' DCs).

And I'm DEFINITELY all in on a coach with offensive line acumen. Offensive line is the most important position on the field, without a doubt

Just some context for the people that don’t want an “old” guy

Mack Brown 72
Nick Saban 72
Brian Kelly 62
Willie Fritz 63
Kirk Ferentz 68
Kyle Whittingham 63
Curt Cignetti 62

And I would happily take any of those guys.

Just some context for the people that don’t want an “old” guy

Mack Brown 72
Nick Saban 72
Brian Kelly 62
Willie Fritz 63
Kirk Ferentz 68
Kyle Whittingham 63
Curt Cignetti 62

And I would happily take any of those guys.
it's contextual. i'd take very few of those guys coming to Syracuse. Institutionalized old farts sure. But it's alot of work and energy to move to a new operation and rebuild it.

Please, Please, Please stop with the Doug Marrone thing. If he took the job today,he’s capable of leaving after the spring game. So PLEASE!

it's contextual. i'd take very few of those guys coming to Syracuse. Institutionalized old farts sure. But it's alot of work and energy to move to a new operation and rebuild it.

It would have to be the right guy for sure. I don’t want a 70yr old career coordinator or position coach.
But a proven successful head coach that knows how to win, yes.

Please, Please, Please stop with the Doug Marrone thing. If he took the job today,he’s capable of leaving after the spring game. So PLEASE!

If I had my choice that’s exactly who I would bring back.
He’s been gone over 10yrs it’s time to let go of him leaving. Any coach would leave Syracuse for an NFL job.

Marrone knows exactly what it takes to win here.

O line fixes so much. You can run effectively without a talented RB. You can protect a QB and give him an extra second in the pocket to find an open receiver. The WRs have time to get open which makes them better. You move the chains, rest the D and make them more effective. In my mind, they are the most important unit on the team. Give me any coach who can recruit a big, talented O line.
Marrone

They need a HC now. Not someone who would come in after an NFL season. That disqualifies him.

Valid point but that said, I want the best available HC and while the timing may be funky for Jeff or possibly someone else getting this right is first and fourth most. .

If I had my choice that’s exactly who I would bring back.
He’s been gone over 10yrs it’s time to let go of him leaving. Any coach would leave Syracuse for an NFL job.

Marrone knows exactly what it takes to win here.
Him leaving isn't why I don't want him back. He's a "pro" coach. He hated recruiting, schmoozing, and wasn't he unliked by HS coaches?
In the NFL, you just coach adults who are responsible for their own behavior. The college job is much more involved at a place like SU.

Him leaving isn't why I don't want him back. He's a "pro" coach. He hated recruiting, schmoozing, and wasn't he unliked by HS coaches?
In the NFL, you just coach adults who are responsible for their own behavior. The college job is much more involved at a place like SU.
Here is a good article about Marrones years here and his recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom