JJ Starling | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

Kentucky has had that for multiple years, several teams with 5+ eventual draft picks. How many championships does Calipari have? One.
In recent history Kentucky teams are usually ranked and in contention. Despite J B being experienced and a respected Hall of Famer we were seldom ranked or in serious contention for a natty. JB's 2 recent final fours were a testament to coaching but in the end we were beat by superior talent.

In recent history Kentucky teams are usually ranked and in contention. Despite J B being experienced and a respected Hall of Famer we were seldom ranked or in serious contention for a natty. JB's 2 recent final fours were a testament to coaching but in the end we were beat by superior talent.
It’s an equation where both X and Y are important. You cannot rely solely on either to drive success.

Fan board bees. Conversations are allowed to be had.

And it’s obvious people are tired of your schtick. Everything is all negative from you even when something good happens you find a way to spin the negative. Yesterday was a good day. We won, we beat a rival, we had some exciting plays and a few guys played great. But you still continue to piss and moan about everything. Cut it.

And it’s obvious people are tired of your schtick. Everything is all negative from you even when something good happens you find a way to spin the negative. Yesterday was a good day. We won, we beat a rival, we had some exciting plays and a few guys played great. But you still continue to piss and moan about everything. Cut it.
YES!!!!!

Ignoring the real problem I see. A national search should’ve been conducted.

Yeah, we need to go across the country to find a guy that can recruit to Syracuse, instead of, you know, hiring a guy that can recruit to Syracuse. Like he was yesterday after the game (along with others).

But sure, some mid major guy would take the job and have JB on the ACCN after games ripping him up, sounds peachy.

He certainly forces too much at times and loses focus on defense, which I think will improve. Again, it’s a new team, new players and a new coach. Most transfers take some time to acclimate. That’s just the reality. And he’s still only a sophomore. Maybe the past couple of games are evidence that Red’s patience might pay off. You don’t want your players to lose confidence in themselves. Hopefully he builds off this performance and has a great game against Oregon.
New position and new role as well.

Fair enough. But I don't recall anyone suggesting we were "contenders" this year. At the very least we figured we'd be good, but it was largely a wait & see approach- new system, new coach, new players.
I think most fans, like it or not, realized that this was going to be an evolving year w/ alot of unknowns. And hoped we'd get better and possibly make the Dance. That's the realistic approach, IMO.
My point is that some in our fanbase make conclusive assumptions like it's already a done deal. Especially the ones who concluded that Red's not a good hire...after less than 10 games, which is patently absurd. JMHO
Damn, you preaching it today!! What you put in that coffee this morning? I'd like some of that Sir!

JJ playing well makes a ton of difference for us as does having a backup center. But also our defense is improving. Still a ways to go, but we’re defending with more intensity. And if we can get additional scoring from Maliq and Quadir, both of who played a lot more aggressively, we got something cooking. Quadir especially seems like the light is turning on as to his role and what he can and cannot do.
He is an igniter, still learning and sometimes a little over exuberant so errors happen, he usually does a lot more good than bad and the energy is really awesome.

He is an igniter, still learning and sometimes a little over exuberant so errors happen, he usually does a lot more good than bad and the energy is really awesome.
One things for sure, coach sure loves him and his flexibility of usage as evidenced in the presser.

Ignoring the real problem I see. A national search should’ve been conducted.
Were external candidates not considered as part of a succession plan that was two years in the making? Were discussions not held about the potential of almost three dozen other candidates to succeed JB not conducted with other coaches, administrators, broadcasters, prep and high school coaches and former players? Were agents not consulted to gauge interest level and requirements others might have had? Was the succession plan not continuously vetted and updated based on this input?
Either your definition of "national search" is narrowly limited to reading on twitter that so-and-so was interviewed for the Syracuse job or you, and all of us, are ignorant as to what actually led to Autry being promoted.
I do know for a fact that the opposing coach Saturday was at one time a candidate and discussions did take place. I am guessing he was not the only external candidate considered. I also know that there was a lot of support in the greater basketball community for the decision to hire Red.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread you hijacked. Start your own diatribe in another place to make it easier to ignore.

Last edited:
Yeah, we need to go across the country to find a guy that can recruit to Syracuse, instead of, you know, hiring a guy that can recruit to Syracuse. Like he was yesterday after the game (along with others).

But sure, some mid major guy would take the job and have JB on the ACCN after games ripping him up, sounds peachy.
Please tell me more about an up-and-coming coach who would turn down $3M+, 30,000+ fans and the ACC because JB might say something mean about their coaching style. As for recruiting, coaches are bringing in top players to Rutgers, lets not pretend like Syracuse is at some disadvantage there.

Please tell me more about an up-and-coming coach who would turn down $3M+, 30,000+ fans and the ACC because JB might say something mean about their coaching style. As for recruiting, coaches are bringing in top players to Rutgers, lets not pretend like Syracuse is at some disadvantage there.

Again, you are just wishcasting.

And frankly Consigliere answered you better than I can.

Last edited:
He’s had one good game so far, I wouldn’t exactly say the disappointment in JJ is unwarranted so far. Pair that with continued mistakes from Quadir (yes, he played a great second half but are we really going to ignore the other 7 games), Benny being awful for 2 and 1/3rd years, and McLoed being a huge let down, nothing I’ve seen has been unfair criticism. This is big time college basketball, if you want a patient fan base go play in the MAC.
Impatient is fine but that ranks pretty far down the list of words I'd use to describe this fan base.

My stance was that a hall of fame head coach, whose contract was rumored to be ending in 2024, should’ve been able to coach it out. I was vehemently against the red hire from the start, I thought it was a bad idea and that a REAL national search should’ve been conducted. As far as his choice for the next coach, i respected his ability to coach HIS teams, I did not believe he should’ve been able to hand pick the next coach because it was obviously going to be one of his assistants who have no business taking over a top tier job. They should’ve gone off somewhere else and learned the ropes first, not on the fly with a historically great program.
If JB had recruited better, rather than lying to the fans that his last class was his best ever, the next coach, whoever it might be, would have had a better chance to succeed.
For that alone, JB did not deserve to go out on his time line, because he never would have had a time line. If he had years left on his contract, I am sure he was paid.
Red's recruiting class of 2 will probably exceed the accomplishments of JB's last class, which is basically filled with role players, Mintz aside (and he was a hail Mary).

What key player? Chance never played a minute. And as for recruiting, Donnie is a good get, but talent only gets you so far. Coaching needs to be there too. Things like calling a coherent scheme to cover short comings, putting guys in the right position to be successful, getting your stars to make the guys around them better, even when they’re struggling. 10 games in and I can’t say we’ve seen a coherent scheme in a game yet. It’s been guards making shots. Georgetown was carving up Syracuse and had open shots left and right, Syracuse was constantly battling to get even half decent looks.

Lol round and round you go. I half expect you will be rooting for Oregon so you keep your shtick going.

Were external candidates not considered as part of a succession plan that was two years in the making? Were discussions not held about the potential of almost three dozen other candidates to succeed JB not conducted with other coaches, administrators, broadcasters, prep and high school coaches and former players? Were agents not consulted to gauge interest level and requirements others might have had? Was the succession plan not continuously vetted and updated based on this input?
Either your definition of "national search" is narrowly limited to reading on twitter that so-and-so was interviewed for the Syracuse job or you, and all of us, are ignorant as to what actually led to Autry being promoted.
I do know for a fact that the opposing coach Saturday was at one time a candidate and discussions did take place. I am guessing he was not the only external candidate considered. I also know that there was a lot of support in the greater basketball community for the decision to hire Red.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread you hijacked. Start your own diatribe in another place to make it easier to ignore.
Prefer going internal and giving Red, a loyal SU guy the chance. I am sure he shared his plan to recruit, switch defense/ offense schemes to give AD confidence. Think the key will be his ability to go get elite talent and not be afraid to recruit over guys that are not preforming or cant cut it. Next year would like him to go after two elite transfers 6’9” scorer, and a top notch center. Think we will be stacked at Guard/ Small forward types.

That’s how JB got his chance isn’t it? Don’t start up with how things were different and we couldn’t have gotten a former head coach back then, we’d done that - Fred Lewis who recruited both Dave Bing and walk on JB was head coach at So Miss and he brought Ray Danforth who had jr college head coaching experience in as his assistant. When Fred was fired, Danforth, was elevated from ass’t to head coach and then hired JB as his only assistant. Sound familiar? :)Back then college basketball programs even had only one assistant. We thankfully are in fine hands as we have been for over a half a century at SU.
Just one correction Fred was not fired, he resigned to take an AD job. He was frustrated by what he perceived as a lack of support at SU for basketball, football at the time being the king.

Just one correction Fred was not fired, he resigned to take an AD job. He was frustrated by what he perceived as a lack of support at SU for basketball, football at the time being the king.
Thank you for the correction. He was actually the coach who got recruiting going and started the beginnings of our turnaround and he loved the fast paced run n gun tempo. He recruited Bing and brought Boeheim on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom