Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The decision to come back would thrill a university, a city, and an entire fanbase. It would likely be more lucrative (immediately and long term) and probably put him in a better position to achieve his ultimate dream of playing in the NBA.

I find it hard to believe the allure of playing in a mostly empty arena to fans that don't know your name is really that big a draw. But I guess we'll see.
That's why he is the only one who can make sense of it from his vantage point.

Even in G-league he may think it's one step closer to his dream.

Who knows how much playing in a packed dome is an attraction to him, he already experienced the dome and the status of the program is not packing the dome.

As fans we also do not know how much he enjoys going to class every day. That may be a big part of it. Go to classes every day or take that time to do shooting drills, strength and conditioning and strip clubs.

Last edited:

Who knows how much playing in a packed some is an attraction to him, he already experienced the dome and the status of the program is not packing the dome.

As fans we also do not know how much he enjoys going to class every day. That may be a big part of it. Go to classes every day or take that time to do shooting drills, strength and conditioning and strip clubs.
Syracuse has strip clubs. Sort of

Who knows how much playing in a packed some is an attraction to him, he already experienced the dome and the status of the program is not packing the dome.

The Dome will be packed next year if he returns.

Hmmm…

drip GIF

That's my understanding. Only grad transfers are an exception to that deadline.

This article appears to confirm that:

The number of high-impact players available on college basketball's transfer market continues to dwindle following the May 11 deadline for non-graduates to enter the portal and be eligible immediately.

I completely agree! Once again. The microphone screwed up what I'm trying to say. I don't have time to text the traditional way because I'm just not that fast at it and I prefer not to do it so once in a while. More often than I like , that is the result. Putting ?s and periods where they shouldn't be

The dream is the NBA and not extended time in college. So, just the chance of being drafted, even if it's late second round, is more appealing to most than to go back to school for another year to improve your draft stock. There are other factors; kid doesn't like classes, kid didn't keep a respectable GPA because come hell or high water the plan was to never return, and lastly, handlers/yes men not offering sage advice.

If Judah decides to stay in the draft and is a late 2nd rounder or an undrafted player who gets a two way contract, it will be a long hard road to an NBA career. It is really hard for guards to make the league as they are plentiful and are the ball handlers/decision makers. It's so easy to get lost in the shuffle as the NBA is rarely patient and they don't have to be as again, guards are plentiful and each year there are many Judah's leaving college with big holes in their game. Where are guys who were just as talented, had the potential tag and left school earlier than they should have? A few recent examples... Josh Shelby, Trevon Duval, Nico Mannion, Isaiah Briscoe. One more year to these young guys seems like a lifetime and they lack the maturity and insight to be patient and to get it until it's too late.

Some posters tend to say, one more year would not make a difference for certain players, and sometimes that is correct but it's a case by case situation. I feel that Judah is a much better shooter than he displayed freshman year. With better athletic players around him this upcoming season, continued work on his shot, and very important - a much weaker draft next year, he should be a guaranteed first rounder. Timing and positioning yourself to be a first rounder can make a world of difference in a team having no choice but to diligently work and be patient with their investment if the returns aren't good right away.

Last edited:
Judah at 55 (out of 58) in the latest ESPN mock draft. Seems about right to me.
Is this the best he thinks he can do? Then go.
I think he could be a first rounder with another year.
this is one of the hardest player decisions for me to call that i can think of...I think he's right on the cusp of go or stay...

judah needs to improve on things that (mostly) he might not be able to:
  • wingspan
  • size
  • 3 pt shot
shooting is something he can improve...but no guarantee that he actually does in NCAA next season...he can bulk up but doens;t need to be in college for that...wingspan wont change

He seems to have gotten better a bit at PG play and setting the table - had some dimes in the combine scrimmage...

IDK - I think he has "it"... the intangibles to play in the NBA - the mentality the drive etc...

but not sure what he should do, really - I think he could be a first rounder next year,,,but it's not certain...

hard call.

Next years guard class is weak, if he comes back and improves (like most players do freshman to sophomore year) I think he’s a first round pick. There’s obviously a lot of variables but with decisions like this sometimes it’s best to simplify it, as he tweets often “don’t overthink it”

Let’s be selfish as SU fans for a second…

Regardless of if it’s the right decision or not for Judah, and you can certainly debate that if you wish, there have not been many of these wins for our program in recent years.

With additional support around him, and a different system that might hopefully highlight his skill set even more, Judah should be in the mix for a big year.

Starters
G - Mintz - So.
G - Starling - So.
G - Westry - RFr.
F - Williams - Jr.
C - McLeod - Jr.

Second Unit
G - Copeland - So.
G - Taylor -So.
G - Cuffe - RSo.
F - Bell/Brown - So./So.
C - Hima/Brown - Jr./So.

Developmental
Patterson - Fr.
Carey - RFr.

For a three-guard system, and one that presses and expends energy on defense, this is a very good roster construct. Impressively quick transformation from last year to this year.

No pure shooters in the starting lineup but all four of the non centers can make them. Not GMac/Girard level but not Josh Pace either. The bench has two shooters that can play if we are zoned against. A couple of interchangeable parts and bigger guards who can play a wing, and Brown who can probably play the 5 if we are facing a smaller team.

One thing that stands out is no seniors, but in the new college basketball world, that’s not abnormal. Also, our schedule looks like it could be a gauntlet this year.

But I would be shocked if this team with normal health isn’t a tournament team.

Let’s be selfish as SU fans for a second…

Regardless of if it’s the right decision or not for Judah, and you can certainly debate that if you wish, there have not been many of these wins for our program in recent years.

With additional support around him, and a different system that might hopefully highlight his skill set even more, Judah should be in the mix for a big year.

Starters
G - Mintz - So.
G - Starling - So.
G - Westry - RFr.
F - Williams - Jr.
C - McLeod - Jr.

Second Unit
G - Copeland - So.
G - Taylor -So.
G - Cuffe - RSo.
F - Bell/Brown - So./So.
C - Hima/Brown - Jr./So.

Developmental
Patterson - Fr.
Carey - RFr.

For a three-guard system, and one that presses and expends energy on defense, this is a very good roster construct. Impressively quick transformation from last year to this year.

No pure shooters in the starting lineup but all four of the non centers can make them. Not GMac/Girard level but not Josh Pace either. The bench has two shooters that can play if we are zoned against. A couple of interchangeable parts and bigger guards who can play a wing, and Brown who can probably play the 5 if we are facing a smaller team.

One thing that stands out is no seniors, but in the new college basketball world, that’s not abnormal. Also, our schedule looks like it could be a gauntlet this year.

But I would be shocked if this team with normal health isn’t a tournament team.
Does anyone know if Maliq is working on shooting, or is he just focusing on getting better at what he did last year? I saw a video of him as a recruit making open threes in practice, which all guys try in practice, but it makes me wonder if that's something he regularly practices and whether he'll develop a jump shot. He had a horrible FT percentage last year. If he can shoot well enough to draw a defender, our small ball lineup with him at center could be effective to open things up for our slashers, and would make him more playable at the 4. I suspect that might be a few years away, if ever, but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it. We need ways to open lanes for this group of guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom