JUDAH'S BACK | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

JUDAH'S BACK

The nice thing about all this young talent is that not every single one of them has to "make the jump" for us to still be a good team. The more that do, the better we'll be, of course. The biggest issues for this team will be a couple guys who are 3 point threats, and a couple guys who can rebound to start the fast break.

So, if you look at the candidates from three - Judah, Benny, Chris and Taylor. We know that they all can make them. If two of them can make them consistently, then that's pretty solid. And I'm not even counting Cuffe.

Rebounding - This is why Maliq is going to play. Benny might make the jump and become a consistent 13 and 8 kind of guy; that's possible. I'm not so sure that Hima is a rebounder, but I think the Florida State kid can help us there. Maybe Hima will improve, too, if he doesn't have to cover from the foul line to both corners in that Boeheim style zone. Maybe Chance or Copeland contributes some boards as the big guard / swingman. Copeland does seem to have a bit of a nose for the offensive rebounds.

We need 2 or 3 guys out of each group of 4 to be contributors, and then this will be a very solid, tournament team. If we get more contributors than that, then the sky's the limit.
All that going for us and not even a mention of the McD's AA and All ACC Freshman team guy! It's good to be Red right now. And Orange!

All that going for us and not even a mention of the McD's AA and All ACC Freshman team guy! It's good to be Red right now. And Orange!
You look at Judah and the three transfer guards, this group is REALLY amazing on paper. Then you add our sophomores, Taylor, Bell and Copeland...the 1-3 is as deep and talented as I can remember. People naturally worry about the 4 and 5 positions, but I think between Benny, Maliq, Hima and McLeod, we are going to be pretty set there. Benny is going to be really good this year.

So let’s think about 2 years ago recruiting when we were pursuing a bunch of big names and came up empty until the last minute when Judah came calling after JJ spurned us (along with Chance). Now we have all 3 along with Cuffe. Never in a million years. We are going to be really good

there is a lot to hate about the constant turnover and lack of contracts keeping people around for more than a year but this is a very underrated point that most people ignore
Roster turnover is fine as long as we can find a way to keep our 2-3 best players from portaling or seeing a 2-way as a better option.

That is the most intriguing lineup to me.
This. Unless there are situations where we need a defensive enforcer, we don’t need a traditional center playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Where Bulldog04 post hyping up Red? :) We need it !!!!
I told ya all along how this whole thing was going to play out! There’s so many take aways here
1. I’m super pumped for Judah. He did everything exactly how he should have and he will be a first round pick next year and im pumped for him and his family
2. This shows how important having the right coach and coaches in the right spots that truly relate to players and support every step of the way. Judah said it himself
3. The staff has done more than anyone could imagine and now it’s complete and time to get to work and contend

Lastly, after all this, it’s now our “job” as fans to show up and show out and support the coaches and players like crazy. This is going to be such a new and exciting way to play and I’m pumped for everyone including all of us! I can’t remember an off season being this eventful in a great way. I’m ready for nachos Grande!

In Red We Trust

No need for him now. I wasn't going to say this before but I think it would have been a disaster if he was our back up pt guard. Let alone the starter.
He will probably grad transfer to Michigan, and take Caleb Love’s spot.

Big get for the Wolverines…

Oh yeah. Super excited to see Judah back. Props to everyone for making it happen.

That was a fantastic video.

So let’s think about 2 years ago recruiting when we were pursuing a bunch of big names and came up empty until the last minute when Judah came calling after JJ spurned us (along with Chance). Now we have all 3 along with Cuffe. Never in a million years. We are going to be really good
Frankly, with the exception of Judah, our backcourt severely has lacked athleticism, strength, dribble penetration, etc the last few years. It took Red about 3 months to put together our best/deepest back court in over a decade. Opposing teams are who used to just focus on Joe, Buddy, Cole, etc taking contested jump shots are going to be in for such a different team this year.

I am fairly confident we have forwards that at least a few figure it out - hopefully Benny is one of them. And it’s not unreasonable to expect maybe one of them to take that huge jump (Taylor, Bell, Copeland).

The 5 is the big question mark to me. McLeod has to be good in order for us to be good. I don’t think we can compete in the top of the ACC if our best big men are Hima and Carey

Red’s toughest job is finding minutes for everyone. This will be his hardest job. Wanting minutes and earning minutes are two different things. There will be talent not playing next year. How Red handles this will determine how successful this team is. Thirteen players are not going to play. Lucky to have 9-10. Good luck.

I think we have enough forwards that are serviceable behind him. If we are playing a 3 guard lineup we can easily shuffle someone in that can be productive. The center position is full of question marks and I don't think any of our forwards can slide down and manage that position.
Question marks about 3 point shooting and rebounding. I think Benny is the only player on the roster who has the skill set to address both.

We won’t replace Jesse’s production but can be successful with a center by committee that can provide rebounding and rim protection.

For those worries about Benny

Got to imagine a new tempo pace and style, coupled with an increase in energy and competitive practices, will push his game to the next level.

Confident he makes the leap to being consistently good and occasionally great this year.

Maliq, showed so much potential last year. Im confident he takes a leap to consistently good this year as well.

Hope the boys get a nice relaxing weekend in. Because they need to start getting intensive cardio sessions in for all the running they are going to do on the court this year.

For those worries about Benny

Got to imagine a new tempo pace and style, coupled with an increase in energy and competitive practices, will push his game to the next level.

Confident he makes the leap to being consistently good and occasionally great this year.

Maliq, showed so much potential last year. Im confident he takes a leap to consistently good this year as well.

Hope the boys get a nice relaxing weekend in. Because they need to start getting intensive cardio sessions in for all the running they are going to do on the court this year.

Agree on both counts.

At the end of the day, Judah and Judah’s Dad played it perfectly. Judah got to go through the process and get incredibly important feedback. I’m sure he wanted to go to the NBA but not at the cost of losing the opportunity to be a high draft pick and get a guarantee. His dad was smart enough to know that the G league could be a ticket to oblivion. I’m sure he impressed some teams along the way and they will be following him closely. He did it the right way and built his brand in the process.

Obviously, this is great for us this year. But it’s also great for us for the future because now it gives Judah a better chance to become a long-term player in the NBA which is what we need him to be for the program.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, Judah and Judah’s Dad played it perfectly. Judah got to go through the process and get incredibly important feedback. I’m sure he wanted to go to the NBA but not at the cost of losing the opportunity to be a high draft picks and get a guarantee. His dad was smart enough to know that the G league could be a ticket to oblivion. I’m sure he impressed some teams along the way and they will be following him closely. He did it the right way and built his brand in the process.

Obviously, this is great for us this year. But it’s also great for us for the future because now it gives Judah a better chance to become a long-term player in the NBA which is what we need him to be for the program.

Great post.

We have Chance at the 3 bringing the ball up? I wouldn’t be against it.

My wish lineup is

Judah
JJ
Chance
Benny
McLeod

Taylor first off the bench

Red may cause a stir in Hawaii. JJ and Judah will shoot for a higher clip from three than many expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom