JUDAH'S BACK | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

JUDAH'S BACK

Right. Look at how Villanova plays [which I think will prove to be a similar template on offense to what we see from Red -- time will tell, but that's my expectation].

A lead guard. Two bigger wings [guard, forward -- whatever]. A versatile forward who plays inside / outside, and can shoot. A big to rebound / defend / score inside a little.

We have the right components to play this style.

Lead guard - Mintz.
Two bigger wings - JJ / Westry.
Versatile inside / outside forward - Williams.
Dunker / defender - Brown / McLeod / Hima [depending upon matchups, lots of fouls to use].

But I agree that positions are being rendered obsolete in modern basketball, outside of PG. And even that distiniction, JJ and Westry will both be relied upon to handle against pressure, distribute the rock, and make plays off of the bounce, so...
I hear what u r saying. I love the Nova or UConn styles. We finally seem to have the athletes to possibly emulate, but in order to emulate we will need solid three point shooting to open up the court. The problem on this squad is that our best athletes and our best three point shooters reside in different bodies. I do not expect Benny to be able to hit almost 40% in a bigger role. I do expect our guards to improve, but can they get to 35% plus ?

I think we need to look back in our own history for the style most suitable to this squad. I am talking about the early Cuse teams that pressured, ran, and gunned and averaged 99 PPG before there even was a three point shot.

I hear what u r saying. I love the Nova or UConn styles. We finally seem to have the athletes to possibly emulate, but in order to emulate we will need solid three point shooting to open up the court. The problem on this squad is that our best athletes and our best three point shooters reside in different bodies. I do not expect Benny to be able to hit almost 40% in a bigger role. I do expect our guards to improve, but can they get to 35% plus ?

I think we need to look back in our own history for the style most suitable to this squad. I am talking about the early Cuse teams that pressured, ran, and gunned and averaged 99 PPG before there even was a three point shot.

Shooting is a question mark -- agreed.

But we can also generate easy baskets by getting turnovers or forcing misses, rebounding, and running.

I expect a lot more easy baskets the way Red will play versus how we've played in the recent past. That will help. I also expect the team to be MUCH better at creating dribble-drive opportunities off of the bounce than we have been in a LONG time.

To your point -- guys will have to hit shots, too. But the days of being one-dimensional on offense are over.

Good post.

I think what will be important for Cuffe is for him to be able to see his path, role and potential for success for the following season. I think this would have had to be part of the conversation with coaches and a tradeoff for taking a chance on him after the injury. I will say, I'm really interested to see how Red does it, he's the wild card in the equation. What I've seen, if he's healthy you gotta find some bump for him.

Re: Red - listening to Gerry and AG talking and assuming Straughn would say similar things- they all have a solid positive influence on the team and approach too. Thus it's how the staff does it as a whole albeit certainly the HC owns the accountability. Four strong basketball minds that also have the respect and relationship with the players is always better than 1. It's something that stuck out for me watching Duke this year. For all we throw pot shots at Scheyer - he was the lead man but watch him throughout a game and in timeouts- it's 100 pct a team on that staff and they grew a great deal over the season.

I counter that to Davis at UNC and you don't see that same comraderie and it reflects on the court.

I think the part I'm most excited about is that Red has a true play maker at the point. I wondered earlier on whether Red would have the players to bring his own style to the court in year 1. I believe when you look at the roster there is enough athleticism and talent to get creative. It certainly makes losing Jesse hurt a bit more, as I think center is still our position of weakness, but top to bottom I feel way better about the roster right now.

This is why I hope to see improvement out of Taylor or Bell. We need one of them to play the role Karaban played for UConn. Running is great, but you still need to have a functioning half court offense. That has been Hops demise at Washington.

Good summary.

His PT will likely be determined by:
  1. How much he's recovered from his knee injury
  2. Whether we use a 3-guard lineup [essentially]
  3. How his skill set translates to Red's offensive system, relative to Copeland / Taylor
If he's good to go physically, I wouldn't underestimate his chances to see the floor. Kansas prompted him to enroll early for a reason. But no idea whether he's fully recovered [or not], and ready to challenge for a spot in the rotation.
It's crazy that he hasn't played regular basketball since before COVID.

2019-2020 HS season
2020-2021 HS season shut down after 2 games
2021-2022 graduated early to reclass and be a Kansas redshirt
2022-2023 Kansas medical redshirt after 6 minutes played

He's as big a wildcard as we've seen - someone with huge talent, athleticism and intrigue. Who knows what his game has become, how strong that knee is and if his athleticism is where it was before the injury. Kansas wanted him to enroll a year early, so the upside is certainly apparent.

If he's ready to roll, he has to play. A team of our caliber shouldn't be wasting ability like that buried on the bench. I'm not talking 20-25 a game, but he should be a regular in the rotation 10-12 mpg. This type of player is far different than the JJ/Chance/Copeland big guards we have, and should be a major part of pushing tempo and harrassing on D. Play 3 guards and get this kid up to speed fast.

There is at least the possibility that McLeod will be a better dump off / lob guy at a strong 7’4” than Jesse would have been. And then we’ll have Maliq also available with his nose for the ball. Maliq is also an excellent interior passer.

I’m visualizing one of our three slashing and great finishing guards getting into the lane, having help come, and lob or dump off to McLeod or Maliq. Or depending upon the lineup, a kick out to Benny, Taylor or Bell.

One thing we won’t have to worry about is getting penetration. Or fast breaks. Or steals. Exciting to think about!!

I think the part I'm most excited about is that Red has a true play maker at the point. I wondered earlier on whether Red would have the players to bring his own style to the court in year 1. I believe when you look at the roster there is enough athleticism and talent to get creative. It certainly makes losing Jesse hurt a bit more, as I think center is still our position of weakness, but top to bottom I feel way better about the roster right now

Re: Red - listening to Gerry and AG talking and assuming Straughn would say similar things- they all have a solid positive influence on the team and approach too. Thus it's how the staff does it as a whole albeit certainly the HC owns the accountability. Four strong basketball minds that also have the respect and relationship with the players is always better than 1. It's something that stuck out for me watching Duke this year. For all we throw pot shots at Scheyer - he was the lead man but watch him throughout a game and in timeouts- it's 100 pct a team on that staff and they grew a great deal over the season.

I counter that to Davis at UNC and you don't see that same comraderie and it reflects on the court.
This is the the most underrated part of coaching players today and to me, one of the most significant. They have to know that you "see" them and it's for real.

Very excited for the program going forward. We will get kids. We will play a tempo / style that is attractive. My only question is game management which I thought JB was brilliant at.

I hope Red was taking notes.
Have to imagine there's at least some learning by proximity that's taken place.

Just looking at Malachi’s career - left after FR year, taken #22 by Cha - I hope Judah’s sophomore year puts him on an NBA trajectory rather than Malachi’s journey around the world. Still 26 years old.

Just looking at Malachi’s career - left after FR year, taken #22 by Cha - I hope Judah’s sophomore year puts him on an NBA trajectory rather than Malachi’s journey around the world. Still 26 years old.

They should show this to every player who thinks he's ready for the NBA.

Why would another year at Syracuse have made a difference?

With Malachi not sure it would have but it's hard to say. Not by any means sure on this but I think ( or so it seemed) his issue was not putting the work in during the off season and practice. His poor shooting numbers in his short time in the NBA and even what we saw in TBT looked to do with inconsistency and not being in the best shape.

They should show this to every player who thinks he's ready for the NBA.

If you looked at Richardson's $7 million in NBA earnings by age 22, you probably wouldn't consider his career a disincentive. Getting drafted in the first round is guaranteed lifetime money. He made the right choice.

And he's still playing a kids game for money until he decides to retire and be a young, retired rich guy.

Also, Richardson didn't have the option of taking NIL money like Judah Mintz.

Last edited:
If you looked at Richardson's $7 million in NBA earnings by age 22, you probably wouldn't consider his career a disincentive. Getting dragged in the first round is guaranteed lifetime money. He made the right choice.

And he's still playing a kids game for money until he decides to retire and be a young, retired rich guy.

I don't know why some of our fans choose to do this to themselves. If someone offered me, or them, $7 million to leave college & play for pay, no matter where, I'd take it. It's not that hard, seriously.

If you looked at Richardson's $7 million in NBA earnings by age 22, you probably wouldn't consider his career a disincentive. Getting dragged in the first round is guaranteed lifetime money. He made the right choice.

But is that what the players dream of? Or something short of that?

But is that what the players dream of? Or something short of that?
Short of what? For most athletes, at some time your body or coaches let you know it’s over. Even for professionals, it’s usually a short run.
I never understood why people think going to class and mandatory study halls will help with a jump shot. As a first round pick, he had the disposable funds to get any additional training he needed beyond the team. If he didn’t do it, that’s on him, and another year of college wouldn’t change that.

If you looked at Richardson's $7 million in NBA earnings by age 22, you probably wouldn't consider his career a disincentive. Getting drafted in the first round is guaranteed lifetime money. He made the right choice.

I won’t retire from my profession until I’m in my 60s and I won’t even come close to $7 million in career earnings. Not to mention that I can count the number of countries I’ve been to on one hand.

$7mil in the NBA and making good bank and seeing the world in Europe. Better than most of us will ever do
I won’t retire from my profession until I’m in my 60s and I won’t even come close to $7 million in career earnings. Not to mention that I can count the number of countries I’ve been to on one hand.

But that's not he comparison they are making. They aren't dreaming of playing for GTK Gliwice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom