Last night's telecast | Syracusefan.com

Last night's telecast

Nicknack

All Conference
What was up with the love fest for Okie State coaches last night?? The video they showed with the coach being interviewed was fine. Then the follow-up and continued discussion about the coach during game play was a little irritating but whatever. Then the split screen of game action and video of the coach - why?? This was all followed up later by similar crap about their assistant coach including again, split screen of game action and a picture on the assist coach.

Between all of this was visuals about their recruiting. Why all the love for the cowboys? Maybe if we weren't stinking up the joint and able to play decent basketball, my attention would have been on something else. I don't know, all in all, a very annoying and frustrating game to watch.

Agree. I hate those side videos while the action is going on regardless of whether the video is about us or the other team as they are not doing play by play during those videos. Then the announcers went on a binge of college football and probably missed 5 or 6 plays on the court. We want to watch a basketball game and know what's going on like who got the foul, who's in for whom, etc. Very poor production in my opinion.

Realistically what else do they do to try to make that watchable? Remember, they are trying to keep general viewers watching, not diehard fans of the teams. Syracuse was so bad that the game would’ve been turned off by 89% of everybody. They clearly knew this going in, so they had a bunch of Oklahoma State fluff to show to try to keep some interest.

The color announcer (Francisca? ) had nothing but love for OU, and not SU. Merek misses a 3pt shot and he says thats why you don't want him talking those shots. Didn't Merek shoot an extremely high % on 3 pointers the last 2 years. OU subs and he feels he has to explain why? Then misses when SU subs! He does the same every time he does a SU game.

"The color announcer (Francisca? ) had nothing but love for OU, and not SU. "
JB probably pissed off Francisca in the past

It was brutal to listen to, the bits I did watch. Seemed like there were constant split screens so we could hear about OSU’s head coach. What about him was so interesting, I could not tell you.

I had to put it on mute shortly after Hughes’ foul on a 3 point shooter. Hughes barely bumps the guy’s hip, the shooter exaggerates the contact and gets the call. Fran acted like Hughes shot a man in the face. A few plays later, an OSU player makes slight contact with Hughes’ right foot (which wasn’t kicked out), Hughes gets the call. Fran acts like Hughes got away with highway robbery.

Realistically what else do they do to try to make that watchable? Remember, they are trying to keep general viewers watching, not diehard fans of the teams. Syracuse was so bad that the game would’ve been turned off by 89% of everybody. They clearly knew this going in, so they had a bunch of Oklahoma State fluff to show to try to keep some interest.

Who, outside of the 17 Oklahoma State fans, would be interested in hearing fluff pieces about their coach though?

It was brutal to listen to, the bits I did watch. Seemed like there were constant split screens so we could hear about OSU’s head coach. What about him was so interesting, I could not tell you.

I had to put it on mute shortly after Hughes’ foul on a 3 point shooter. Hughes barely bumps the guy’s hip, the shooter exaggerates the contact and gets the call. Fran acted like Hughes shot a man in the face. A few plays later, an OSU player makes slight contact with Hughes’ right foot (which wasn’t kicked out), Hughes gets the call. Fran acts like Hughes got away with highway robbery.
He's not very professional. That's why he isn't a coach any longer.

The play-off announcer was Doug Sherman. He is an SU alum and worked at WRGB in the Capital District for many years. Doug never hid his love for his alma mater and did an excellent job last night.

What was up with the love fest for Okie State coaches last night?? The video they showed with the coach being interviewed was fine. Then the follow-up and continued discussion about the coach during game play was a little irritating but whatever. Then the split screen of game action and video of the coach - why?? This was all followed up later by similar crap about their assistant coach including again, split screen of game action and a picture on the assist coach.

Between all of this was visuals about their recruiting. Why all the love for the cowboys? Maybe if we weren't stinking up the joint and able to play decent basketball, my attention would have been on something else. I don't know, all in all, a very annoying and frustrating game to watch.
My takeaway was that the coach is originally from Brooklyn and this was his first return there as a HC. I heard them mention that he took he team to his old HS and there was some sort of mention of an overhang that could interfere with shots. Frascilla is from Brooklyn as well, so that added to it.

My takeaway was that the coach is originally from Brooklyn and this was his first return there as a HC. I heard them mention that he took he team to his old HS and there was some sort of mention of an overhang that could interfere with shots. Frascilla is from Brooklyn as well, so that added to it.

A perfect summation! At times I almost forgot a few of the details, but thankfully (and it's that time of year), Fran was always there to remind me every 4 minutes. That bit about the overhang was GOLD.

Also, Fran does NOT like this SU team much.

Considering the violations this program has had over the last few years and then hearing about how squeaky clean they are was disingenuous at best and an outright lie at worst. No mention of the rapes and other less than stellar players in teh last few years makes you wonder if the Ok St sports director came to ESPN with all this worthless hoopla about Brooklyn and their coach to get ahead of the bad press. SU was treated like the Washington Generals in the Harlem Globetrotters games.

The color announcer (Francisca? ) had nothing but love for OU, and not SU. Merek misses a 3pt shot and he says thats why you don't want him talking those shots. Didn't Merek shoot an extremely high % on 3 pointers the last 2 years. OU subs and he feels he has to explain why? Then misses when SU subs! He does the same every time he does a SU game.
Not true. Early on he spoke multiple times about what OSU had to do to beat the zone and win, as if he favored SU. When OSU took control of the game, commentary shfted in their favor. When we were good, that used to be us.

Agree with all of the above that became more sickening as the game went on.

Fran also liked to make sure everyone knew he had contact with several coaches and players some of which had nothing to do with the game.

I think he's just a very insecure man living what he feels were/are his glory days.

Fran must have just forgotten to mention that his son, James, was a 5’10” walk-on at Oklahoma State from 2011-2015 after averaging 6 points his senior year in school. :rolleyes: Obviously he has some connections with Oklahoma St.

Frashilla Just watch the Video when Ryan Blackwell hit the Game winner vs St Johns.. Theirs a reason he does not Coach anymore... Fran Fraschilla - Wikipedia

I was at the game in the student section (although not a student) and Fran's cartoonish "travel" pantomime after the final shot looked even more ridiculous in 3D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom