Latest on Hopkins situation is... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Latest on Hopkins situation is...

I'm sure we'd find another recruiter. We got Weaver, Murphy, and AA is doing a pretty good job. Pretty sure wee at the point in a program where we can lose an assistant coach.

It's my belief that he has an offer. Gonna be an interesting 24 hours. I hope.

I think Hop has played that card too many times. Seems like he tried to play it again last year with the USC job possibility. I think he has been out in the press a couple too many times. He has been the coach-in-waiting. I'm sure he has renegotiated his salary. Short of demanding a time for JB to leave, I don't know what else he's looking for.

When he hired an agent, I said right then you don't hire an agent to stay at your current job. You hire an agent to get you a new job. Hop will be gone, and I don't expect that he will be back.

I'm sure we'd find another recruiter. We got Weaver, Murphy, and AA is doing a pretty good job. Pretty sure wee at the point in a program where we can lose an assistant coach.
but we are at the point in a program where we CANT lose THAT assistant coach.

thats what we're discussing.

the tug of war between fine and orr might've had something to do with that

Let me tell you about Jesus. NO follow me to the basement. Jesus! Basement! Jesus! Basement!

That's in really poor taste, even by your standards.

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I don't think you've ever been sold on handing the job to Hopkins, right?

Murphy can't hold Hop's jock when it comes to recruiting. Would love to see SU get aggressive and go make a big run at Orlando Antigua if Hop leaves.

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I don't think you've ever been sold on handing the job to Hopkins, right?
you are right.

but that was also about 5 years ago.

i always felt JB was going to make a run at 1000 Ws. therefore i wanted Hop out getting his feet wet before he came back, or maybe we wouldnt want him.

that said, the finish line is here. 2 years, the Olympics and hes out. at this point, i think the best case for the program is for Hop to be here and involved in recruiting.

Any of you young guys who never say Hop play don't have a clue as to his fierce competitive intensity. No player has ever played with more effort or lack of self concern than Mike Hopkins in an Orange uniform. After his first few games , I remember telling people that he would be Syracuses coach after Beohiem. It's gonna be a damn shame if he's not.
If Hop leaves I think SU's next head coach will be from Scranton. ;)

Especially to an ACC team that the conference has deemed our rival.

I think Hop has played that card too many times. Seems like he tried to play it again last year with the USC job possibility. I think he has been out in the press a couple too many times. He has been the coach-in-waiting. I'm sure he has renegotiated his salary. Short of demanding a time for JB to leave, I don't know what else he's looking for.

When he hired an agent, I said right then you don't hire an agent to stay at your current job. You hire an agent to get you a new job. Hop will be gone, and I don't expect that he will be back.

Agreed, I get it from both sides. Hop feels like he has to play a bit of hard ball, and SU has a HOF coach who is comfortable and doesn't want to leave. It has the potential to get ugly. Best if the two separate and remain friends, (although I really don't want to see him go) but I don't see him coming back, unless for instance JB goes another 5 years and Hop has success at BC or wherever up to that point and is primed to grab a top 10 job. I do see a possibility though that if Hop goes to a conference rival and starts recruiting against us, his bridge back is burned...

Just like we survive missing recruits, we would survive this. The programs bigger than any one person at this point.

I mean, it's not like Mike Hopkins is even the sure thing as head coach everyone makes him out to be.
Then when he leaves you'll be happy , and he won't worth have to endure these kind of pot shots. That alone is got to be worth it.

Then when he leaves you'll be happy , and he won't worth have to endure these kind of pot shots. That alone is got to be worth it.

Because that's exactly what I said.

Murphy can't hold Hop's jock when it comes to recruiting. Would love to see SU get aggressive and go make a big run at Orlando Antigua if Hop leaves.
Antigua isn't moving from an assistant position to another assistant position.

Unless Antigua ends up with the USF job.

Agreed, I get it from both sides. Hop feels like he has to play a bit of hard ball, and SU has a HOF coach who is comfortable and doesn't want to leave. It has the potential to get ugly. Best if the two separate and remain friends, (although I really don't want to see him go) but I don't see him coming back, unless for instance JB goes another 5 years and Hop has success at BC or wherever up to that point and is primed to grab a top 10 job. I do see a possibility though that if Hop goes to a conference rival and starts recruiting against us, his bridge back is burned...
If Hop leaves for BC IMO it guarantees he will not replace JB when he finally retires. There are going to be some raw feelings in the parting and Hop will build his own program there and if he has success will be there for a while. A more likely scenario is that Hop would return to SU to replace the guy after JB if he doesn't have success and the program declines. Somewhat like the Roy Williams scenario at UNC.

If Hop leaves for BC IMO it guarantees he will not replace JB when he finally retires. There are going to be some raw feelings in the parting and Hop will build his own program there and if he has success will be there for a while. A more likely scenario is that Hop would return to SU to replace the guy after JB if he doesn't have success and the program declines. Somewhat like the Roy Williams scenario at UNC.

Besides family reasons, I haven't seen an actual arguement for why he wouldn't come back. People just say it as if it's predestined.

Besides family reasons, I haven't seen an actual arguement for why he wouldn't come back. People just say it as if it's predestined.
BC or any other school would be fools if there was not a condition in his contract which made it financially improbable for Hop to leave and go back to SU to become head coach.

I would just argue that it would come down in recruiting to JB vs Hop on the road. I guess both sides have that inside knowledge, but Hop has youth and longevity on his side. I think that will sour some relationships at SU. May not be Hop not wanting to come back, although thats a strong possibility, might be us wanted to look like we can have any coach we want, and wanting to start fresh. Who knows, I just wish he didn't have to go to a conference foe, right next door... Anywhere else, any other conference and I'm fine with it.

and this of course...

BC or any other school would be fools if there was not a condition in his contract which made it financially improbable for Hop to leave and go back to SU to become head coach.

Lots of people say this but every contract can be broken. I don't think Hop would agree to a contact with some crazy penalty for leaving why would he. If they really want him they should offer a clean contract like everyone else.

That being said I think if he left for BC that would burn too many bridges for him to return. USC is one thing but a conference opponent in the same region... totally different.

Two things that I can think of,

1. In the Post Standard article from several days ago Hop stated,

"If I go, I'm going to a place where I feel I can be forever and win forever."

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...sity_yes_but_itd_take_a_perfect_storm_to.html

2. Say Hop leaves this year to BC and JAB retires in two years. BC is going to be damned if they go through another head coaching search in two years. They will make it difficult for SU/Hopkins to buy out his contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom