Latest on Hopkins situation is... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Latest on Hopkins situation is...

JohnCuse44 said:
My gut feeling is that he stays or waits for a better oppertunity.
I gotta agree. To give up the keys to a top 10 program for BC?!?

Besides family reasons, I haven't seen an actual arguement for why he wouldn't come back. People just say it as if it's predestined.

Because everyone believes that K and Boeheim will both retire after the 2016 Olympics. That's 2 more seasons. Two years isn't long enough for Hop to show anything at BC, and they would probably negotiate against him coming back to SU in such a short time frame. (However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boeheim bait Coach K into retiring, and then come back himself to try to beat K's all-time record!)

He is so not ready.
Yeah if we were gonna go that route of hiring one of the assistants I would think that Red would get the nod since he's been coaching longer and has established recruiting ties. I would also take allen griffin ahead of Gerry as well.

My gut feeling is that he stays or waits for a better oppertunity.

I think he's gone. Sweet nothings posts to the Orange Nation on Twitter, goes on job interview gets offer - gone. The only way he's not gone is if JB says 2016 is it officially, but I don't see JB being pushed into a corner. He's a competitive SOB and I don't see him leaving until the team begins to decline.

May have been discussed (I havent read through the entire thread) but he would be taking a major risk if he went anywhere. What if he fails miserably at BC or someplace else? No way in hell he gets the job here if that happens when JB steps down. Something I dont know if he has thought about.

I think i must be the only guy who will wish Hop well and then not worry one bit. Hop is a great program guy, of course, but Cuse is elite. We will attract guys like Jay Wright and Shaka Smart who have proven successful with half the talent we get. SU will be fine either way.

I think i must be the only guy who will wish Hop well and then not worry one bit. Hop is a great program guy, of course, but Cuse is elite. We will attract guys like Jay Wright and Shaka Smart who have proven successful with half the talent we get. SU will be fine either way.
I hope the school is willing to shell out the bucks for a name coach. Not convinced it is.

Marsh01 said:
May have been discussed (I havent read through the entire thread) but he would be taking a major risk if he went anywhere. What if he fails miserably at BC or someplace else? No way in hell he gets the job here if that happens when JB steps down. Something I dont know if he has thought about.

If you and I had that thought and our livelihoods are not dependent on the decision - you can bet he has thought of that and is weighing that possability.

I think he's gone. Sweet nothings posts to the Orange Nation on Twitter, goes on job interview gets offer - gone. The only way he's not gone is if JB says 2016 is it officially, but I don't see JB being pushed into a corner. He's a competitive SOB and I don't see him leaving until the team begins to decline.

How about if JB's health begins to decline?

Because everyone believes that K and Boeheim will both retire after the 2016 Olympics. That's 2 more seasons. Two years isn't long enough for Hop to show anything at BC, and they would probably negotiate against him coming back to SU in such a short time frame. (However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boeheim bait Coach K into retiring, and then come back himself to try to beat K's all-time record!)
If JB was going to retire in 2 years this whole situation would not be happening. They would have had conversations about it and Hop would bide his time. JB is open ended about it and that is his right. Maybe he wants to coach another 4-5 years and doesn't want a timetable. In that situation Hop doesn't want to wait that long so he out looking.

I hope the school is willing to shell out the bucks for a name coach. Not convinced it is.

I mean, that is a valid concern... i think they will. And who is to say a coach wouldnt take a small pay raise to come here. We arent some D3 school.

I am not going to be upset at a man if he leaves for a better opportunity for himself and his family. Go Coach Hop!

Along these lines, say JB steps down sooner rather than later and Hopkins doesn't leave BC either because of a contract buyout or he doesn't want to jump ship so soon. The next coach that SU brings in may have great success and stay for 20+ years. In that case, there'd be no opportunity for Hopkins to come back.

Syracuse can afford to pay 2m a year for a coach it is pocket change to keep this program at the top

Hey, we have people who don't believe there was a Holocaust, men on the moon or Cooney is a fine college BB player.
Why should they believe anyone who plainly gives out information with no agenda.
Do you have any idea how ignorant that statement was?

On the flip side, if I were BC I would be very weary of hiring Hopkins. Even if he does extremely well, they would always have to worry about Syracuse potentially poaching him back in a few years. This makes me think that should he take the BC job, his contract will have some sort of iron-clad clause that will not allow him to leave for another ACC job (or something similar).

If this does happen, Syracuse's penny-pinching ways make me extremely nervous. I do not think the University would break the bank and hire a brand-name coach. Look at JB's salary. It pales in comparison to other top coaches.

Do you have any idea how ignorant that statement was?
i've heard it all now. there must be some godwin's law for people invoking holocaust denial as being similar to things that are much more debatable

On the flip side, if I were BC I would be very weary of hiring Hopkins. Even if he does extremely well, they would always have to worry about Syracuse potentially poaching him back in a few years. This makes me think that should he take the BC job, his contract will have some sort of iron-clad clause that will not allow him to leave for another ACC job (or something similar).

If this does happen, Syracuse's penny-pinching ways make me extremely nervous. I do not think the University would break the bank and hire a brand-name coach. Look at JB's salary. It pales in comparison to other top coaches.

I firmly believe, and have for a while, that Jay Wright will be our next head coach.

I firmly believe, and have for a while, that Jay Wright will be our next head coach.

I hope not, guy is very likeable but he doesnt recruit too well and his team always chokes in march. I would almost prefer Jamie Dixon the king of chokers lol.

I hope not, guy is very likeable but he doesnt recruit too well and his team always chokes in march. I would almost prefer Jamie Dixon the king of chokers lol.

JTIII wants to have a word with you re: choking.

Blasphemer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom