Latest on Hopkins situation is... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Latest on Hopkins situation is...

Love Hop, but if he leaves JB needs to get another recruiter who can actually coach up big men. You look at Storrs, their bigs were awful early in the year and now they look like All-Americans. That's coaching and we have lacked that development for far too long.

Not worried about recruiting. We shouldn't have any trouble getting someone who can recruit.
Not sure I agree. Any top recruiter would be coming to a job where his boss could be gone in a year and a good chance will be gone within three.

As long as we have the Melo Center and 30,000 butts in the seats, any coach who doesn't completely suck at recruiting should be able to bring in good players.
JB has landed a few guys in his day. Everyone said similar things when Weaver left. The bigger issue than recruiting (and running practice...seriously!?!) is now a sudden lack of a continuity plan...

Anyone hating on Hopkins is hating in SU. Other than JB, nobody is more SU than Hop. You can only wait so long. He's had multiple opportunities in the past. It's not like he is jumping at the first chance he can. I've never seen so many so called SU fans hating on so many in the SU program. Hop, JB, Cooney, Ennis. Sad.

Hopkins left Boston with an offer or an intent.He either leaves or SU reaponds with the timing of Boeheim's retirement.
It appears JB's in good physical health. He seems to be as sharp as ever. Why should he have to retire on anybody's terms, but his own? If he's still successful, what the heck?

Anyone hating on Hopkins is hating in SU. Other than JB, nobody is more SU than Hop. You can only wait so long. He's had multiple opportunities in the past. It's not like he is jumping at the first chance he can. I've never seen so many so called SU fans hating on so many in the SU program. Hop, JB, Cooney, Ennis. Sad.
Who is hating on Hop? I don't see that in the thread.

Who is hating on Hop? I don't see that in the thread.

Then you aren't reading this thread or others very well.

Don't let the door hit you in the...

You can call that and several others what you want.

I couldn't agree more. Hop has been for 19 years. That is an absolute eternity for an assistant coach who is as in demand as he is. If he takes this job or any other I am sure it will be the toughest decision of his life. You can't hate on him for that.

Then you aren't reading this thread or others very well.

Don't let the door hit you in the...

You can call that and several others what you want.
I mean that's digging a little...and seemed directed more about going to a conf rival. pretty much everyone's reaction has been as expected, concerned and respectful.

I assume he means BC "intends" to hire him. Probably waiting for him to say he'll accept before they actually offer.
If BC does that then they are in worse shape than I thought. Real schools don't do that. Make an offer. Face the music.

where does anyone hear that he already has an offer? I haven't read that.

Any of you young guys who never say Hop play don't have a clue as to his fierce competitive intensity. No player has ever played with more effort or lack of self concern than Mike Hopkins in an Orange uniform. After his first few games , I remember telling people that he would be Syracuses coach after Beohiem. It's gonna be a damn shame if he's not.

where does anyone hear that he already has an offer? I haven't read that.

Dont you know that anything posted on a message board is always true?

I read that on the internet.

Any of you young guys who never say Hop play don't have a clue as to his fierce competitive intensity. No player has ever played with more effort or lack of self concern than Mike Hopkins in an Orange uniform. After his first few games , I remember telling people that he would be Syracuses coach after Beohiem. It's gonna be a damn shame if he's not.
When Hopkins was 2 he had already perfected his intensity against his siblings. I knew then he would be the coach.

I don't hate on Hop for looking and/or taking a head coaching job, but sure will be disappointing. I think we'll miss him tremendously on the recruiting trail as he brings top level recruits to his program.

If he goes, I'd like to get a premier big man coach.

If he goes, I'd like to get a premier big man coach.
I hear this comment or similar ones made from time to time. Who is this exactly? Is there a subgroup of them? I know Pete Newell used to be known for it but who now?

I wonder if the Cal job is more attractive to Hop. Looks like there is a good chance Montgomery will retire. BTW I have no idea if they are interest in Coach Hopkins.

If BC does that then they are in worse shape than I thought. Real schools don't do that. Make an offer. Face the music.
I don't know about such things but I assumed it was standard procedure. Especially when it involves a candidate who is already a head coach. If things go south and it becomes public, it allows both parties to say there was no offer.

It's not a fake offer. BC offered him the job. The ball is in Hop's court now

I don't know about such things but I assumed it was standard procedure. Especially when it involves a candidate who is already a head coach. If things go south and it becomes public, it allows both parties to say there was no offer.
I just don't know how that would work. Bc calls and asks him to leave. He says yes, then they make offer mad he says no that's a crap offer? I think they just have to make the offer. Him showing up to the interview is intent...

If Roy Williams can go from being a longtime UNC assistant to head coach at Kansas and then back to UNC as head coach, then Hopkins can go from Syracuse to BC and back to Syracuse. I don't see why Hopkins would suddenly be dead to Syracuse if he accepted a PROMOTION to head coach somewhere. Presumably he'd still want to come back as a head coach when Boeheim retires. He'll be taking on some risk, as if he tanks as a coach Syracuse's interest would wane. But if he does well, Syracuse would reap the benefit of a Hopkins who has already worked out some of the new head coach kinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom