Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here

of course not.

but lets say he stayed and 17.7 & 7.2 with .345% from 3, becomes 22 & 10 with .38-.39% from 3??

with that...he goes lottery, makes a boatload...and somebody easily gives him a 2nd contract.

and if not, then he goes to Europe with being treated like royalty by the fans of Syracuse for a year in his backpocket with who knows what success and a nice NBA paycheck.

Greene was foolish, I think Mal is headed that way.
Come on, there's no way Greene is going for 22 and 10.

That would have been a pretty good team--sophomore Greene / Flynn, Devendorf, Rautins, Harris, and Arinze / Rick in the middle.

Onganet played quite a bit on that team, that got housed in the sweet 16 game against Oklahoma. Might have been a different story with a more physically mature Greene that year. We'll never know.

That would have been a pretty good team--sophomore Greene / Flynn, Devendorf, Rautins, Harris, and Arinze / Rick in the middle.

Onganet played quite a bit on that team, that got housed in the sweet 16 game against Oklahoma. Might have been a different story with a more physically mature Greene that year. We'll never know.
I have no doubt for the team it's a different story. I mean to say that on that team Greene isn't averaging 22 and 10.

the #s are pretty close, good call.

but JW got a college F4, double the amount of NBA years and double the amount of $$.

to me, JW wins.

going away...

And I believe JW is doing some motivational speaking stuff now. If he left early and didnt have that '96 run, nobody would really give a crap what he has to say. He would be just another very good player that's sort of remembered vs. the Syracuse legend that he is due to that '96 run.

And I believe JW is doing some motivational speaking stuff now. If he left early and didnt have that '96 run, nobody would really give a crap what he has to say. He would be just another very good player that's sort of remembered vs. the Syracuse legend that he is due to that '96 run.
He also has a college degree from a well respected university.

He made millions between the nba and China. If my work took me to uae, it would be seen as an interesting angle of business. For basketball, it means you've failed? Doesn't make sense.

I don't think playing in China was in the plans when he declared for the draft.

KaiserUEO said:
youre taking this too personally, Reverend. all we are trying to do is discuss the merits of him going Pro based on where we see his draft position. then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on the actual draft slot. then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on PT. then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on D League time if warranted. then ultimately we will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on a 2nd contract. hes made his decision, hes gone. we will now discuss, justify, validate, praise or condemn or whatever that...as we deem just. right or wrong. welcome to the internet

At least you're honest about it ;)

It is how the internet works. Just hate to see a kid somehow hear about all of our opinions and have it flavor his decision somehow. I mean that would never happen, right?

MSOrange said:
That's exactly how I interpreted your original post. Malachi was the one who made the first round comment. But I guess some people just feel the need to argue.

No - I don't feel the need to argue. If I didn't feel strongly about it I wouldn't have shared or put so much effort into it. Like the other bizzillion threads I just like and thumbs up and move on.

No - I don't feel the need to argue. If I didn't feel strongly about it I wouldn't have shared or put so much effort into it. Like the other bizzillion threads I just like and thumbs up and move on.

We're good. Should have stayed out of it as I enjoy your posts most of the time.

Time will only tell who is eating crow here......
Eat+Crow.jpg

I don't think playing in China was in the plans when he declared for the draft.
Who has a perfect handle on their future career when they leave college? Odd that we expect that of these guys. I know my career changed very quickly upon leaving school. Imagine most people's did. And actually, I bet the understanding that playing internationally was a viable option most certainly was part of the plans.

Who has a perfect handle on their future career when they leave college? Odd that we expect that of these guys. I know my career changed very quickly upon leaving school. Imagine most people's did. And actually, I bet the understanding that playing internationally was a viable option most certainly was part of the plans.

Alot of people have made mistakes, I know I have, I will be the first to admit it, nothing wrong with it. Donte should have probably stayed another year. Why do people have such a tough time admitting it?

Alot of people have made mistakes, I know I have, I will be the first to admit it, nothing wrong with it. Donte should have probably stayed another year. Why do people have such a tough time admitting it?

There is no perfect path for anybody coming out of school, or anybody in general. Nobody knows what the future holds, sometimes it's riskier to take a "lesser risk" which I think you're thinking Mali did. There is NOTHING that says next year he is going to improve his draft stock. It takes a monumental leap in production for a soph to jr. to improve your stock, for some reason that one year age difference means a lot to NBA GMs. Even after all of this plays out nobody will know if this was the right decision or not. It's too easy and lazy to say without a doubt he improves his stock going into the next draft, there are multiple reasons a guy leaves early, they've all probably been mentioned on here, how can you fault a guy for that? How can you judge a guy for that? How can you say it's the wrong decision? I don't know, you don't know and as far as anybody knows he's maximizing his worth. Maybe he worked his tail off and doesn't think he can get better than he is, if that's the case, was it dumb for him to leave?

At least you're honest about it ;)

It is how the internet works. Just hate to see a kid somehow hear about all of our opinions and have it flavor his decision somehow. I mean that would never happen, right?
If our opinions factor in his head, then he should just join a men's beer league.

The kid screwed up, let's see how bad...

KaiserUEO said:
If our opinions factor in his head, then he should just join a men's beer league. The kid screwed up, let's see how bad...

I agree that it shouldn't factor. But ...

I agree that it shouldn't factor. But ...
I believe we're giving ourselves too much credit if we think places like this are significantly influencing players' decisions.

Mali is a confident kid and had shown great ability before the UVA game. With the new rules in place, I believe he would have tested the waters even if that game had never happened, and would have heard the same things from NBA types that ultimately resulted in him entering the draft.

The goals for these guys are as follows:

1) make as much money playing pro ball as you can.

That's it.

If it's the NBA, great. If not, you can still live VERY well playing pro abroad.

Playing in college is a de facto mandatory pit stop along the way.

Mali isn't young for the draft. He has a coveted skill set. Chances are, we aren't going to another final four next year. He's taking his calculated risk to get to his goal.

Syracuse is a pit stop. Keep remembering that when judging these decisions.

There is no perfect path for anybody coming out of school, or anybody in general. Nobody knows what the future holds, sometimes it's riskier to take a "lesser risk" which I think you're thinking Mali did. There is NOTHING that says next year he is going to improve his draft stock. It takes a monumental leap in production for a soph to jr. to improve your stock, for some reason that one year age difference means a lot to NBA GMs. Even after all of this plays out nobody will know if this was the right decision or not. It's too easy and lazy to say without a doubt he improves his stock going into the next draft, there are multiple reasons a guy leaves early, they've all probably been mentioned on here, how can you fault a guy for that? How can you judge a guy for that? How can you say it's the wrong decision? I don't know, you don't know and as far as anybody knows he's maximizing his worth. Maybe he worked his tail off and doesn't think he can get better than he is, if that's the case, was it dumb for him to leave?

All your arguments are just an opinion. Just because its YOUR opinion does not make it a factual truth.

I hope Malachi gets drafted. In my opinion, if he stayed another year in school he would have undoubtedly improved his draft stock. How could he not? But if he doesn't want to play CBB, then good luck to him. College is just not for everyone. If he doesn't get drafted in the NBA there's always European and Asian professional leagues. He may still may play professional ball.

All your arguments are just an opinion. Just because its YOUR opinion does not make it a factual truth.

I hope Malachi gets drafted. In my opinion, if he stayed another year in school he would have undoubtedly improved his draft stock. How could he not? But if he doesn't want to play CBB, then good luck to him. College is just not for everyone. If he doesn't get drafted in the NBA there's always European and Asian professional leagues. He may still may play professional ball.

I don't believe I even gave an opinion in my post.

Dave85 said:
All your arguments are just an opinion. Just because its YOUR opinion does not make it a factual truth. I hope Malachi gets drafted. In my opinion, if he stayed another year in school he would have undoubtedly improved his draft stock. How could he not? But if he doesn't want to play CBB, then good luck to him. College is just not for everyone. If he doesn't get drafted in the NBA there's always European and Asian professional leagues. He may still may play professional ball.

You're trying to post opinion as fact. The other didn't.

If a NBA 1st rnd pick as a3/4, can't stay in College and improve by 2.5 pts and 2.5 rbs, then he shouldn't be a NBA 1st rounder and end up making an arse of himself by gong pro.

Thanks for making my point.

If a NBA 1st rnd pick as a3/4, can't stay in College and improve by 2.5 pts and 2.5 rbs, then he shouldn't be a NBA 1st rounder and end up making an arse of himself by gong pro.

How many guys in college average 22-10? By ESPN's count, 13 guys in the country averaged 22 a game last year. All of them guards. And that was a higher # than normal, year before was 3.

How many guys in college average 22-10? By ESPN's count, 13 guys in the country averaged 22 a game last year. All of them guards. And that was a higher # than normal, year before was 3.
Thought I typed 20, you guys are particular...

It's actually 4.5 points and 2.5 rebounds going from a 6 man rotation to a team with a lot more depth and having to account for shots shared around an improved Flynn and a returning Devo, but you and I both know nuanced understanding is for chumps.

The NBA is a lot smarter now about understanding the concept of contextual statistics. We should basically just throw that out when we talk about our own guys though.

Brent Axe had a scout he knows and trusts tell him Mali got a first round promise from a team at the combine, before he even hired an agent.
How can a team possibly do this when they have no idea how the draft is going to turn out? Unless they have Richardson #1 overall on their board. Which of course would be insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom