Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here

I have no insider info, but Malachi seems savvy to me, so I suspect he has first round guarantees from two teams.

How can a team possibly do this when they have no idea how the draft is going to turn out? Unless they have Richardson #1 overall on their board. Which of course would be insane.

It's a hedge. They like a player very much at the spot. They give him a promise.. in return the player agrees to work out for no other teams or only 1 or 2 other teams. It significantly reduces the risk that the player is gone before they pick. In return the player agrees for the certainty. A "real" promise is done with an agent -- the team has no interest in pissing off the agent so the promise has some weight.

Has Malachi attended any individual team workouts yet? That is the easiest way to see if a player was given a legit promise.

Last edited:
There is no perfect path for anybody coming out of school, or anybody in general. Nobody knows what the future holds, sometimes it's riskier to take a "lesser risk" which I think you're thinking Mali did. There is NOTHING that says next year he is going to improve his draft stock. It takes a monumental leap in production for a soph to jr. to improve your stock, for some reason that one year age difference means a lot to NBA GMs. Even after all of this plays out nobody will know if this was the right decision or not. It's too easy and lazy to say without a doubt he improves his stock going into the next draft, there are multiple reasons a guy leaves early, they've all probably been mentioned on here, how can you fault a guy for that? How can you judge a guy for that? How can you say it's the wrong decision? I don't know, you don't know and as far as anybody knows he's maximizing his worth. Maybe he worked his tail off and doesn't think he can get better than he is, if that's the case, was it dumb for him to leave?

Players usually make a jump from their freshman year, not everyone, but most players. If he isn't drafted in the first round, or he doesn't earn a 2nd contract, I think we can say he made the wrong decision.

How can a team possibly do this when they have no idea how the draft is going to turn out? Unless they have Richardson #1 overall on their board. Which of course would be insane.

They don't, which is why i find some of the talk in here absurd. The draft is the ultimate unknown. A team could love Malachi on draft day, and then there is a player they never expected to be there, and take him, or a team could overwhelm them with a trade. The only thing we know about this draft is that Simmons and Ingram are going 1-2, and we don't even know whos going first.

They don't, which is why i find some of the talk in here absurd. The draft is the ultimate unknown. A team could love Malachi on draft day, and then there is a player they never expected to be there, and take him, or a team could overwhelm them with a trade. The only thing we know about this draft is that Simmons and Ingram are going 1-2, and we don't even know whos going first.

It's true, there are no guarantees in the draft, so is that a reason for players to never leave early? Please add something new to the thread. You say the same thing over and over again. Aren't you weary of typing the same argument?

Last edited:
It's true, there are no guarantees in the draft, so is that a reason for players to never leave early? Please add something new to the thread. You says the same thing over and over again. Aren't you weary of typing the same thing over and over again?

Because others keep typing the same thing over and over again.

Briancuse said:
I think we can say he made the wrong decision.

WE can't say whether it was a bad decision or not. Only he can.

br801 said:
I believe we're giving ourselves too much credit if we think places like this are significantly influencing players' decisions. Mali is a confident kid and had shown great ability before the UVA game. With the new rules in place, I believe he would have tested the waters even if that game had never happened, and would have heard the same things from NBA types that ultimately resulted in him entering the draft.

I was lumping Twitter in with places like these. And while I don't think it played a huge part - that he addressed Syracuse fans on Twitter and was upset should at least give cause for pause here.

That's how I roll anyways. Everyone else can do what they want.

He made millions between the nba and China. If my work took me to uae, it would be seen as an interesting angle of business. For basketball, it means you've failed? Doesn't make sense.

He made around what 4 mil in the NBA? Lost half to taxes off the top.

China, yeah, awesome.

IF your work was American sports and you ended up in the UEA (I could see Real Madris or something being cool) then...

I was lumping Twitter in with places like these. And while I don't think it played a huge part - that he addressed Syracuse fans on Twitter and was upset should at least give cause for pause here.

That's how I roll anyways. Everyone else can do what they want.

You can't compare Twitter with a message board. The whole point of this forum is to discuss sports.

Briancuse said:
So we aren't allowed an opinion in the matter?

You like to state things as fact and then say it was just your opinion.

There are no guarantees when it comes to the draft.
OK. Then I suspect two teams have strongly suggested to Malachi that if he is available when they have first round selections they will take him.

But they didn't guarantee it, because doing so would be absurd.

OK. Then I suspect two teams have strongly suggested to Malachi that if he is available when they have first round selections they will take him.

But they didn't guarantee it, because doing so would be absurd.

Ok so now its strongly suggested to him that they will take him. How many kids do you think have heard that line before?

Thought I typed 20, you guys are particular...

20-10 is still a monster line for a college player. Melo barely got there (rounding up, 349 rebounds in 35 games)

Briancuse said:
You can't compare Twitter with a message board. The whole point of this forum is to discuss sports.

That's funny. It's just slow moving, much smaller and way more focused Twitter.

Briancuse said:
Ok so now its strongly suggested to him that they will take him. How many kids do you think have heard that line before?

Absurd. What's gained by teams telling kids and their agents they'll take them only to not?

If an NBA team tells you that, I'd take it as a pretty good sign. Not end all be all - but worth way more that what you're describing.

It only matters if Malachi has those strong suggestions or not.

I assumed that is what you thought.

Then I assume that your reading comprehension skills are lacking. I suggest you read my original post again.

Briancuse said:
Like what?

Like most of your posts including the one I quoted.

Briancuse said:

I heard he was talking about you on Twitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom