Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here

RF2044 said:
Pure bunk. Now you're a mindreader who can discern intent? The word wasn't wrong. Your misguided attempt to attribute meaning that you are inferring which wasn't implied is what's wrong. Please stop heaping your baggage onto my posts. I've already clarified that I'm referring to the only thing that can be evaluated objectively: his draft position.

Look - I 100% respect you as a poster. The only reason I'm pushing is that I think you're wrong. I don't know what baggage you think I have nor do I care. I agree with your positions most of the time.

You can't add the word "validate" and have your argument not be attached to the decision. Had you simply said "Mali might not go as high as we thought last week" you'd be measuring it objectively.

Words have meaning.

I see Boston grabbing him. With 3 first round picks there's 0 reason not to reach for a young talent like Malachi.

I have a good reason. If Boston likes at least one player left in the draft more than Malachi each time their pick is up.

Look - I 100% respect you as a poster. The only reason I'm pushing is that I think you're wrong. I don't know what baggage you think I have nor do I care. I agree with your positions most of the time.

You can't add the word "validate" and have your argument not be attached to the decision. Had you simply said "Mali might not go as high as we thought last week" you'd be measuring it objectively..

I didn't use the word "validate."

And again, I'm not interested in hair splitting over personal definitions of what words mean. You seem to be the only one having this reaction in this thread, so...

From draftexpress' scouting report on Malachi: They'll also point to the fact that he is older than many of the sophomores expected to be drafted next month, and is only six months younger than one even junior in Damian Jones.

Now I understand why he had his mind made up to go and only would have returned had he been talked out of it at the combine--the stupid, idiotic and just plain dumb age bias thing got to him.

I thought we were friends. Don't take what I say too personally; if not for differing opinions, there would be a lot less activity here.

I know. As long as we respect other people's opinions it's all good.

It's semantics, but "laboring" feels hyperbolic. People make career choices all the time that yield less money but are what somebody really wants to do. If you love it and get paid, that's not laboring.

He wants to play in the NBA. No one wants to play in the D League.

We'll see, this has wildcard written all over it.

He wants to play basketball, get paid and not have to go to college. He'll be fine. Donte Green, the negative example always put out there, is a multi millionaire. Mission accomplished.

Donte played 4 years in the league and now is in the UAE...how much money does he have? And I doubt UAE was his plan.

The guy is 28 and his best earning days seem behind him.

Donte played 4 years in the league and now is in the UAE...how much money does he have? And I doubt UAE was his plan.

Some of that was bad luck though. He was going to get a contract from the Nets and then broke his foot.

Maybe not the plan, but still not a bad life. Spend some time in other parts of the world, experience different cultures, get treated like royalty by the fans, make some decent money playing the game you love; one could do worse.

Maybe not the plan, but still not a bad life. Spend some time in other parts of the world, experience different cultures, get treated like royalty by the fans, make some decent money playing the game you love; one could do worse.
of course not.

but lets say he stayed and 17.7 & 7.2 with .345% from 3, becomes 22 & 10 with .38-.39% from 3??

with that...he goes lottery, makes a boatload...and somebody easily gives him a 2nd contract.

and if not, then he goes to Europe with being treated like royalty by the fans of Syracuse for a year in his backpocket with who knows what success and a nice NBA paycheck.

Greene was foolish, I think Mal is headed that way.

Alsacs:

One correction: Boston didn't draft Sherman Douglas--Miami did. He played for the Heat for two years before being traded to Boston.

The other two players are recent, and probably fresh in the mind of the front office that drafted them [headed by Danny Ainge]. I don't know that he'd be opposed to dipping back in the Syracuse well, but obviously Fab / Kris didn't pan out for them.

Would Kris even really count? He was the 51st overall pick, that's not supposed to turn into anything really. Fab, sure that was a pretty big bust.

RF2044 said:
I didn't use the word "validate." And again, I'm not interested in hair splitting over personal definitions of what words mean. You seem to be the only one having this reaction in this thread, so...

Fair enough. Re-insert "justify" in place of "validate" and my point still stands.

Justify to who!? Who is that in reference to?

You cannot use that word and have it not be applied to Mali's decision making. He didn't fall and trip and wake up in the draft. No one else can make that choice for him.

The point I've been making is that where he goes does not make anyone right or wrong about him leaving. Only the person who made the decision is allowed to have regrets - OR feel justified or validated or whatever word you want to use.

If he goes #10 does he feel justified? How about #40? The reason you can't answer that is that you're not him.

He made millions between the nba and China. If my work took me to uae, it would be seen as an interesting angle of business. For basketball, it means you've failed? Doesn't make sense.

of course not.

but lets say he stayed and 17.7 & 7.2 with .345% from 3, becomes 22 & 10 with .38-.39% from 3??

with that...he goes lottery, makes a boatload...and somebody easily gives him a 2nd contract.

and if not, then he goes to Europe with being treated like royalty by the fans of Syracuse for a year in his backpocket with who knows what success and a nice NBA paycheck.

Greene was foolish, I think Mal is headed that way.
I get you, but you don't ever really know. Maybe Greene comes back and has a big season like you describe, goes in the lottery and still has a disappointing NBA career, much like John Wallace did. FWIW, compare their career totals and per game numbers, as they are quite similar.

NBA & ABA Players Who Attended Syracuse University | Basketball-Reference.com

Last edited:
Fair enough. Re-insert "justify" in place of "validate" and my point still stands.

You cannot use that word and have it not be applied to Mali's decision making. He didn't fall and trip and wake up in the draft. No one else can make that choice for him.

The point I've been making is that where he goes does not make anyone right or wrong about him leaving. Only the person who made the decision is allowed to have regrets - OR feel justified or validated or whatever word you want to use.

If he goes #10 does he feel justified? How about #40? The reason you can't answer that is that you're not him.
youre taking this too personally, Reverend.

all we are trying to do is discuss the merits of him going Pro based on where we see his draft position.

then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on the actual draft slot.

then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on PT.

then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on D League time if warranted.

then ultimately we will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on a 2nd contract.

hes made his decision, hes gone.

we will now discuss, justify, validate, praise or condemn or whatever that...as we deem just.

right or wrong.

welcome to the internet

I get you, but you don't ever really know. Maybe Greene comes back and has a big season like you describe, goes in the lottery and still has a disappointing NBA career, much like John Wallace did. FWIW, compare their career totals and per game numbers, as they are quite similar.

NBA & ABA Players Who Attended Syracuse University | Basketball-Reference.com
the #s are pretty close, good call.

but JW got a college F4, double the amount of NBA years and double the amount of $$.

to me, JW wins.

going away...

youre taking this too personally, Reverend.

all we are trying to do is discuss the merits of him going Pro based on where we see his draft position.

then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on the actual draft slot.

then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on PT.

then will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on D League time if warranted.

then ultimately we will discuss the merits of him going Pro based on a 2nd contract.

hes made his decision, hes gone.

we will now discuss, justify, validate, praise or condemn or whatever that...as we deem just.

right or wrong.

welcome to the internet
Sad, but true.

Cusian, during the NBA combine, Richardson stated that he would only remain in the draft if he was going to be a first rounder. Look it up--there's an article on Syracuse.com where you can find the quote.

That's not me imposing any benchmark upon him, that's his stated line of demarcation.

I posted a thread stating, "uh oh--I'm seeing some sources of data that have him outside that range." It isn't me feeling that he needs to justify to me or anybody else that he went pro. It isn't applying a framework of "right" or "wrong." It is objectively looking at where he is projected [the key word being PROJECTED] in some [operative word: SOME] coverage of the NBA draft.

So yes, to put it in your terms, if he goes #10 I'm sure he'd feel that his decision to turn pro was justified, based upon the criteria that he himself stated. If he goes #40--again, borrowing from your example--then I doubt he would. Because being drafted higher in the draft means more money. It means near automatically making a roster. It means having a guaranteed contract [which can be earned as a 2nd round pick or even as a UFA I suppose, but that is no sure thing either way]. And the higher he goes, the more his salary increases.

Since he's a professional basketball prospect, I assume that those things are important to him, and don't need to be justified nor validated by me. His professional goal is to make money playing a game that he's good at. And I'm sure once he gets drafted, he'll have other professional goals. But I can't envision under any circumstances that he'd feel satisfied with being a second round pick, and getting a lot less money and / or possibly not making an opening day roster if he gets drafted by a team with lots of guaranteed contracts that doesn't have room for him.

I labelled this business about "right" or "wrong" as your baggage, because you are inserting a bunch of stuff into the discussion that doesn't belong. I'm sure there are threads criticizing his decision to go pro--this isn't one of them.

Would Kris even really count? He was the 51st overall pick, that's not supposed to turn into anything really. Fab, sure that was a pretty big bust.

He counts because he was a recent draftee, and part of an all-Syracuse draft for Boston that this front office made--hence, why I brought it up as a POSSIBLE factor that might influence Ainge and the C's front office.

I don't disagree that not much is expected from late second round picks.

Cusian, during the NBA combine, Richardson stated that he would only remain in the draft if he was going to be a first rounder. Look it up--there's an article on Syracuse.com where you can find the quote.

That's not me imposing any benchmark upon him, that's his stated line of demarcation.

I posted a thread stating, "uh oh--I'm seeing some sources of data that have him outside that range." It isn't me feeling that he needs to justify to me or anybody else that he went pro. It isn't applying a framework of "right" or "wrong." It is objectively looking at where he is projected [the key word being PROJECTED] in some [operative word: SOME] coverage of the NBA draft.

So yes, to put it in your terms, if he goes #10 I'm sure he'd feel that his decision to turn pro was justified, based upon the criteria that he himself stated. If he goes #40--again, borrowing from your example--then I doubt he would. Because being drafted higher in the draft means more money. It means near automatically making a roster. It means having a guaranteed contract [which can be earned as a 2nd round pick or even as a UFA I suppose, but that is no sure thing either way]. And the higher he goes, the more his salary increases.

Since he's a professional basketball prospect, I assume that those things are important to him, and don't need to be justified nor validated by me. His professional goal is to make money playing a game that he's good at. And I'm sure once he gets drafted, he'll have other professional goals. But I can't envision under any circumstances that he'd feel satisfied with being a second round pick, and getting a lot less money and / or possibly not making an opening day roster if he gets drafted by a team with lots of guaranteed contracts that doesn't have room for him.

I labelled this business about "right" or "wrong" as your baggage, because you are inserting a bunch of stuff into the discussion that doesn't belong. I'm sure there are threads criticizing his decision to go pro--this isn't one of them.

That's exactly how I interpreted your original post. Malachi was the one who made the first round comment. But I guess some people just feel the need to argue.