Maryland to the Big Ten? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland to the Big Ten?

In WVU's case $5 million- or was it $10 million- became $20 million.

That's what happens.

MD isn't going anywhere.

Apples to oranges. That was to leave early. ACC to my knowledge has no time limit. And WVU didn't pay 20. They paid 10 and the B12 paid 10 of which WVU will pay back 5 over several years.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The ACC will see every penny of that $50 million one way or the other. West Virginia paid $20, Syracuse and Pitt paid $7.5 leaving a Big East that required $5

The increase was for leaving early. And WVU didn't pay 20.

Looks like someone on twitter is trying to drive traffic to a maryland premium board.

This thread is really on page 2, unreal.

First of all, this is a BS internet rumor.

Second of all, Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha! Let them have them. Like anyone else in the ACC, I'm struggling to find my give a . Mediocre hoops and terrible football. Crap brand. Paging UConn or Louisville. Both would be an upgrade.

Enjoy, B1G!!!

I've heard this before, but in reality the last time around they tried for all proven commodities (ND, Texas, Texas A&M, etc) and only got Nebraska.

Cheers,
Neil

Sure. Ultimately if you can hit four home runs, you try. But it doesn't mean they're unwilling to take anyone else. They tried to land Texas but the Big 12 was rescued. Texas A&M simply always preferred the SEC. Notre Dame will do anything it can to avoid joining a football conference. But the Big Ten now knows if it weakens the ACC significantly, Notre Dame will run out of places to land eventually. Teams like Maryland can kill two birds with one stone.

I live in Virginia and get the Big 10 network. Maryland is taxed to death as is, I doubt a cable tv fight is what Gov O'Malley wants. I would their fans also, as they are known to do, would riot at the notion. Maryland is a hoops school.

No one said the Big Ten Network isn't on in Virginia. But not everyone gets it in Virginia or Maryland.

In Big Ten states, cable operators pay an average of 75 cents per subscriber to the Big Ten, and the network is on in every market on basic or expanded tier. Outside of Big Ten states, cable operators pay an average of 5 cents per subscriber to the Big ten, and in most markets (though not all), the channel is on a premium or sports tier.

What the Big Ten is trying to do is simply getting the network on basic or expanded tier in those states and instead of getting 5-10 cents per month, they'd get 75 cents to a dollar per month. That's why Maryland is valuable despite not being 'king' of the market so to speak.

First of all, this is a BS internet rumor.

Second of all, Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha! Let them have them. Like anyone else in the ACC, I'm struggling to find my give a . Mediocre hoops and terrible football. Crap brand. Paging UConn or Louisville. Both would be an upgrade.

Enjoy, B1G!!!

Scott Van Pelt has said he's hearing these rumors have legs. He's a Maryland grad, FWIW.

How much more revenue would the B1G need to generate to increase it's per team cut significantly enough to make adding 2 more teams worthwhile?

They'll do this by adding some cable fees, someday, maybe, in Baltimore?

Exactly.

The stupid is contagious.

Sure. Ultimately if you can hit four home runs, you try. But it doesn't mean they're unwilling to take anyone else. They tried to land Texas but the Big 12 was rescued. Texas A&M simply always preferred the SEC. Notre Dame will do anything it can to avoid joining a football conference. But the Big Ten now knows if it weakens the ACC significantly, Notre Dame will run out of places to land eventually. Teams like Maryland can kill two birds with one stone.

No way in hell ND would join the B10 if that happened. However, they may loosen up a team like UNC. As if ND needs even more reasons to not want to join the B10.

Fwiw, it appears the start of these rumors, true or not, was by Phil Grosz. He has ties to PedSt.

How much more revenue would the B1G need to generate to increase it's per team cut significantly enough to make adding 2 more teams worthwhile?

They'll do this by adding some cable fees, someday, maybe, in Baltimore?

Exactly.

The stupid is contagious.

There's nothing stupid about it.

Excluding advertising or revenue created by tier-1 deals with ESPN or (in the future) NBC, very simple math...

Currently let's say 25% coverage in 5 million households in Maryland at 10 cents per pop. That's about $1.5 million in operator fees.

Now increase that to 75% coverage at 80 cents per pop. Suddenly that's $36 million a year.

And I just used the current averages for the BTN in Big Ten states for a conservative, fair estimate. That $35 million increase to the BTN would increase the Big Ten's share by almost $20 million, which is enough to cover the new $9 million share and roughly $1 million per team.

Again, I didn't even factor tier-1 or advertising.

Fwiw, it appears the start of these rumors, true or not, was by Phil Grosz. He has ties to PedSt.

The rumor was out there before he said anything. It's been around for a few days. He only commented on it today.

In an unrelated but potentially VERY related Tweet by ESPN's Darren Rovell the other day...

Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank cashing out 5% of his holdings over next year. Will be about $65M, w/10% going to his foundation.

In an unrelated but potentially VERY related Tweet by ESPN's Darren Rovell the other day...

Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank cashing out 5% of his holdings over next year. Will be about $65M, w/10% going to his foundation.
aren't you a penn state dude? why would you have any unique insight on maryland. where does maryland come up with the exit fee?

aren't you a penn state dude? why would you have any unique insight on maryland. where does maryland come up with the exit fee?

I've opined in this thread already where I think Maryland could come up with the exit fee. And the post you just quoted of mine is a possible clue as well... potentially.

The increase was for leaving early. And WVU didn't pay 20.

They paid $20 million. That's what the BE received.

I don't care why and I don't care that they borrowed the money.

If MD leaves- and they won't- they will somehow and some way pay more than $50 million.

They are going nowhere.

They paid $20 million. That's what the BE received.

I don't care why and I don't care that they borrowed the money.

If MD leaves- and they won't- they will somehow and some way pay more than $50 million.

They are going nowhere.

How can you not care about the "why?" The "why" is the whole basis of "when" a stipulation is met.

The exit fee for West Virginia was $5 million and 27 months notice. The reason for the settlement was because of the possibility of punitive damages for West Virginia breaking the 27 months notice, not because of the exit fee. That's wholly relevant because negotiating an exit fee isn't the same as collecting damages for breaking the contract to begin with.

Regardless, Maryland will not, and I will state this emphatically because I have a high level of confidence, will not wind up paying anywhere near $50 million. The punitive nature will have that tossed out if it's challenged, but it won't likely get that far. I imagine you'll wind up seeing about half of that paid -- about $15 million by Maryland and $10 million by the Big Ten. But it won't be a total of $50 million.

The ACC won't see anywhere near $50 million. I'd be surprised if it's half that.

And from my experience, more Big Ten fans like the idea of Maryland than don't. Certainly not all of them are excited about Maryland, but many think it's a very good academic, financial, athletic and cultural fit.

So they like being broke? Maryland is a financial disaster. B1G should be focused on Oklahoma, Ok St and Texas.

Lol...the next time the ACC loses a team to another conference will be its first.

Even if crazy and unsubstantiated becomes true, ND>MD. We are still ahead by miles...

How can you not care about the "why?" The "why" is the whole basis of "when" a stipulation is met.

The exit fee for West Virginia was $5 million and 27 months notice. The reason for the settlement was because of the possibility of punitive damages for West Virginia breaking the 27 months notice, not because of the exit fee. That's wholly relevant because negotiating an exit fee isn't the same as collecting damages for breaking the contract to begin with.

Regardless, Maryland will not, and I will state this emphatically because I have a high level of confidence, will not wind up paying anywhere near $50 million. The punitive nature will have that tossed out if it's challenged, but it won't likely get that far. I imagine you'll wind up seeing about half of that paid -- about $15 million by Maryland and $10 million by the Big Ten. But it won't be a total of $50 million.

Still doesn't make sense. Big East gets more than $5M bylaw from departures of WVU, SU, Pitt.

But Maryland will only pay half because they comply with everything else?

You haven't said what's in it for the ACC to want to negotiate this. Or why they would even have to.

And for the record, I'm just talking hypotheticals, because I think this just goes on top of the gigundo pile of baseless Internet expansion rumors that apparently put people like Greg Swaim's kids thru college.

Maryland has been insignificant for years and ain't going nowhere and lucky to be in ACC. Conference realignment is practically dead. Only the B12 conference may expand to create a conference champ game if in the future it teams get locked out of the final four more often than not like ND may this year.

There are only 2 issues on the table for change - NC final four enhancement/lockouts or Billy Fucillo HUGE added value to a conference like ND to the ACC or Texas/Oklahoma to the B1G. Maryland has nothing to offer.

Finally I cannot even believe I read this thread in the first place - I guess I have nothing better to do with my time...

Was Maryland the other school, along with FSU, that voted against the $50 mil exit fee?

There's nothing stupid about it.

Excluding advertising or revenue created by tier-1 deals with ESPN or (in the future) NBC, very simple math...

Currently let's say 25% coverage in 5 million households in Maryland at 10 cents per pop. That's about $1.5 million in operator fees.

Now increase that to 75% coverage at 80 cents per pop. Suddenly that's $36 million a year.

And I just used the current averages for the BTN in Big Ten states for a conservative, fair estimate. That $35 million increase to the BTN would increase the Big Ten's share by almost $20 million, which is enough to cover the new $9 million share and roughly $1 million per team.

Again, I didn't even factor tier-1 or advertising.

As soon as people start trying to do the math of cable TV affiliate fees is when I know they're completely full of it.

But hey, thanks for stopping by. You get paid to troll expansion topics, right? I mean, you're ALWAYS here when a topic comes up.

This whole rumor was LITERALLY started by some kid who lives in his parents' basement who has a group of followers on Twitter. I can't recall his name now, but IIRC he was traced by posters on tOSU's Scout board (Hineygate).

The original rumor, in turn, has been given life by the desperate and butthurt. By that I mean internet fan-boys of Rutgers, Connecticut and West Virginia. The least impressed internet fans of this rumor? Maryland fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom