Nassib | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Nassib

Not telling you anything you don't already know, but even if that happens -- Nassib's pro career has already been a smashing success. Just getting to the league is a major accomplishment, and he managed to stick for a few years. Not bad for a two-star QB who ran the wing-T coming out of high school.

And hopefully he finds a watch to latch on for a bit longer, to continue making money. But even if he doesn't, he's taken steps to be prepared for life after football [NFL's MBA summer program, etc.]. Kid will be fine.
absolutely.

Once a Giant, Always a Giant.

I know hes a Philly kid, so if im him, I move to Cherry Hill or somewhere else that is an easy drive to both Cities.

last weeks big Giants softball game had guys on the practice squad from years ago playing with Tuck & O'Hara & Pierce etc...

he should stay on their philanthropy pay role.

I would have been shocked if his career ended without a second opportunity. Backup quarterbacks seem to circulate forever in the NFL. He may not make it past training camp, but to end without any invitation would have been just as remarkable as Colin Kapernick's saga.

Not telling you anything you don't already know, but even if that happens -- Nassib's pro career has already been a smashing success. Just getting to the league is a major accomplishment, and he managed to stick for a few years. Not bad for a two-star QB who ran the wing-T coming out of high school.

And hopefully he finds a watch to latch on for a bit longer, to continue making money. But even if he doesn't, he's taken steps to be prepared for life after football [NFL's MBA summer program, etc.]. Kid will be fine.

Agree. Ryan is in good shape. He made decent money and I know these guys are competitors and want to play. But it's not so bad to make some decent change and not have your brain all beaten in.

I would have been shocked if his career ended without a second opportunity. Backup quarterbacks seem to circulate forever in the NFL. He may not make it past training camp, but to end without any invitation would have been just as remarkable as Colin Kapernick's saga.
I don't find the Colin Kapernick situation all that surprising from a football point of view. Kapernick is a starting qb type of player. You want your back up qb to come in and be able to play your offense. That isn't Colin. You would need to have a different offense ready for your back up qb.

I don't find the Colin Kapernick situation all that surprising from a football point of view. Kapernick is a starting qb type of player. You want your back up qb to come in and be able to play your offense. That isn't Colin. You would need to have a different offense ready for your back up qb.

I think the other issue with Kapernick (regardless of whether one feels he was justified or not in his kneeling) is that he's publicly broke ranks with his prior team in not following their policies and putting his own interests (standing up for his societal beliefs) above that of the team as a whole. That behavior doesn't necessarily jive well with a starter taking a step back and being the "team player" backup.

I'm happy that Nassib is still hanging around, hope he does get signed for a few more seasons and maybe we can see him actually get a shot to start a few games.

I think the other issue with Kapernick (regardless of whether one feels he was justified or not in his kneeling) is that he's publicly broke ranks with his prior team in not following their policies and putting his own interests (standing up for his societal beliefs) above that of the team as a whole. That behavior doesn't necessarily jive well with a starter taking a step back and being the "team player" backup.
I didn't want to even get in to that.

Here's hoping he has a good shot. Brees eats a lot of salary. They're all chips in on him and can't afford much for a backup. Ryan's, uhm, affordability may work in his favor.

Your vastly overestimated opinion of Nassib's abilities at the NFL level are a bit puzzling to me. Have you seen him play against NFL talent?

Look, I love Nassib and what he did for us at Syracuse. I always want former players to succeed, and succeed big. But there's no way he was taking Eli's job. There's no way he is taking Brees' job. There is no way he starts for the Saints unless it's a) pre-season, or b) the result of a string of unfortunate and wide-spread injuries. Ryan is what he is - a good to very good college QB who will hold the clipboard and be ready to go in the game due to injury. Good coach material? :noidea:

You are being too kind. I will be more blunt. Nassib is a training camp arm so they can rest Brees and not overuse him in July/August in meaningless practices in 100 degree weather having him throw a ton of balls before the season starts. Come cut time Nassib is most likely gone unless he plays out of his mind and wins the 2nd string or 3rd string QB job. Which is unlikely since N.O took a QB in Round 3 a couple years back they are high on and probably won't kick to the curb so quick

Nassib is a little stiff , Qb's should be fast twitch in there throwing most big guys don't pan out exception Big Ben , but anyway he is on a roster getting paid good for him

yep, donating over a million dollars to charities, and having most of your teammates support what you're doing definitely makes him a bad "team player". :rolleyes:

yep, donating over a million dollars to charities, and having most of your teammates support what you're doing definitely makes him a bad "team player". :rolleyes:

He was a backup QB that became a distraction to his team's business of winning football games this season - that is not debatable. Doesn't matter what his teammates thought about what he did, doesn't matter what I thought about it, doesn't matter what you thought about it. At the end of the day, it was still a distraction.

Show me one NFL GM that has on his checklist for a backup QB - "Good likelihood of being a team distraction". Good luck with that.

I have watched a lot of football and I can't remember another QB who had as many 4th quarter comebacks in so few games, with such a relatively lower talent team. I'm thinking it was 10-12 in 3 seasons. I don't think he will displace Brees, but Drew is almost 40 and I don't think the Saints want to expend more cap on him, so there is a chance. I believe his IQ gives him an edge over the other 2 backups, that and he is a Syracuse man.

What? Yes, RN is smart and his senior season under DM and Hackett was great, the offense was hummin, esp. In tbe second half of the season. However, that offense wasnt short on talent, excellent running game, and OL. very capable receivers, and an OC who was emerging as a very good play caller. In the pros RN has shown happy feet, and not a great ability to ad lib when the first few reads break down. The pro game slows down for the guys that get it in the NFL. THAT hasn't happened yet for RN.

Here's hoping he has a good shot. Brees eats a lot of salary. They're all chips in on him and can't afford much for a backup. Ryan's, uhm, affordability may work in his favor.

Great point, one of the reasons Brees has always bugged me. He takes every last nickel and doesn't care about paying talent to help out the team. Aa you said, hopefully this helps out RN.

Great point, one of the reasons Brees has always bugged me. He takes every last nickel and doesn't care about paying talent to help out the team. Aa you said, hopefully this helps out RN.
It's Drew Brees's fault that New Orleans offered him that much money?

It's Drew Brees's fault that New Orleans offered him that much money?

Nope, but when you want to win championships, qbs are cap sensitive and understand where $$$ needs to be spent to make the team better. NOT Brees. Sure its on the management, too.

Nope, but when you want to win championships, qbs are cap sensitive and understand where $$$ needs to be spent to make the team better. NOT Brees. Sure its on the management, too.

You would think a Pats fan would understand that

Tom takes what's offered when the team asks to restructure. If they offered him a 20mil deal I think he'd take it.

A giant contract never stopped Manning or Roethlisberger from winning a title.

Bingo, Brady has sacrificed $$$ the last 5-7 years to allow the signing of players, team friendly, championship in mind. Brees only cares about brees, thus he can rot in NO, with no defense.

Sort of how Tim Duncan handled it in SA allowing them to add better pieces than otherwise possible for many years and and a few championships.

Sort of how Tim Duncan handled it in SA allowing them to add better pieces than otherwise possible for many years and and a few championships.

Exactly! Brees takes every nickle them screams when his defense is swiss cheese. Many think Brady is the highest paid qb, not even close. He has always allowed for cap room to better the team.

In fact, Brady isn't even in the top 10!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom