NBA Draft Tonight | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Draft Tonight

yeah but didn't Leonard get a max deal and green like 12mm per?

Nobody can sign these deals until next week, so as long as the Spurs have Aldridge physically sign before Leonard, Leonard only counts as $7 mil against the cap, creating the cap space. Then he can sign the max deal because of bird rights.

Bucks bringing Middleton back for 5 years, $70 million (player option for the 5th year). This looks great when you consider the deal DeMarre Carroll just got. Hopefully they're able to lock up Tyson Chandler, Greg Monroe (pipedream), or Robin Lopez and call it an offseason.

For them, would you rather have Chandler/Lopez or Monroe? Monroe may be a better player at this point maybe they need the rim protection more?

Leonard only has a cap hold of like $7 mil. Duncan and Ginobili sign for about $5 mil each (probably a little higher than that, but I'm using round numbers). That creates enough cap space to bring back Green and also sign Aldridge to the max I guess. It's really simply about Duncan taking pennies to stay with the Spurs; basically the antithesis of Dwyane Wade.

Well to be fair to Wade he's taken plenty of paycuts through his career. and Duncan was on a max salary (or close to it, I don't know for sure) as recently as 3 years ago, when he was 35, 2 years older than Wade.

Melancer46 said:
Nobody can sign these deals until next week, so as long as the Spurs have Aldridge physically sign before Leonard, Leonard only counts as $7 mil against the cap, creating the cap space. Then he can sign the max deal because of bird rights.
it's just nuts...and they basically just dumped splitter...

If Indiana wouldn't mind trading Hibbert in the division. Hibbert to the Bucks would make sense on a 1 year deal.

With the money being thrown around Paul Millsap has to be getting a max deal which is crazy. All these decent players are getting overpaid the NBA really needs to stop the Max deals and just have a salary cap. If Lebron can command 75% of a team's cap let him. These max deals get a lot of above average guys way overpaid.

Alsacs said:
With the money being thrown around Paul Millsap has to be getting a max deal which is crazy. All these decent players are getting overpaid the NBA really needs to stop the Max deals and just have a salary cap. If Lebron can command 75% of a team's cap let him. These max deals get a lot of above average guys way overpaid.
wait until next year and the year after. Max will be like 40mm

For them, would you rather have Chandler/Lopez or Monroe? Monroe may be a better player at this point maybe they need the rim protection more?

Monroe easily IMO. We had one of the best defenses in the NBA with Zaza as the center. Monroe plays like Zaza but is significantly better at everything, and he'd offer us somewhere to go for easy shots when we're in the half-court, where the offense really struggles.

It sounds like we've fallen out of the race for Chandler (and I don't think we have much of a chance at Monroe either). Not sure how much of an upgrade over Henson Robin Lopez would be, but we'll see what happens.

Tyson Chandler just got 52 million over 4 years from Phoenix. I mean Monroe and Robin Lopez now have everyone over a barrel.

Thunder locked Singler in (pretty cheaply) for FIVE years. The new Nick Collison glue guy for them I guess lol.

Monroe easily IMO. We had one of the best defenses in the NBA with Zaza as the center. Monroe plays like Zaza but is significantly better at everything, and he'd offer us somewhere to go for easy shots when we're in the half-court, where the offense really struggles.

It sounds like we've fallen out of the race for Chandler (and I don't think we have much of a chance at Monroe either). Not sure how much of an upgrade over Henson Robin Lopez would be, but we'll see what happens.

You think he;'s better at defense? I'm trying to talk myself into him for the Knicks. It's a lot easier to do if Amir Johnson gets 12 per year

You think he;'s better at defense? I'm trying to talk myself into him for the Knicks. It's a lot easier to do if Amir Johnson gets 12 per year

I don't think he's step down from Zaza defensively. Neither block shots, both pick up steals more than most centers, Monroe's a better rebounder, and I think Synergy Stats says Monroe was quietly decent defending the post this year. And I think the center is basically the least important part of the Bucks' defense.

I think he'd be a great fit in New York too. He's tailor-made for the triangle. If Porzingis becomes the shot blocker people think he can be, they could form a really formidable and versatile front court.

Tyson Chandler just got 52 million over 4 years from Phoenix. I mean Monroe and Robin Lopez now have everyone over a barrel.
Which just reinforces how foolish it was to give Chandler away for almost nothing last year. He was a marketable chip and the NYK got nothing for him. Just another bizarre move by the NYK. His contract would have expired after the season anyway so it had no bearing on cap space. They attached Felton to the trade which I guess gave them some financial benefit...but overall a really bizarre move.

The Amir Johnson contract is really 1 year 12 million. The second year is NOT GUARANTEED and I guess Johnson becomes the Luke Ridnour of 2016 and will get dealt multiple times next year. His contract is 2 yrs 24 million, but the second year is at Boston's option.

The Amir Johnson contract is really 1 year 12 million. The second year is NOT GUARANTEED and I guess Johnson becomes the Luke Ridnour of 2016 and will get dealt multiple times next year. His contract is 2 yrs 24 million, but the second year is at Boston's option.

Think about this for a second. The NBA MVP makes 11 million per year, and role players are getting this on the open market this year. Insane.

I also think they should get rid of max contracts. It would level the playing field a bit. Guys like Davis, Curry, and Lebron would take up so much cap space, those teams couldn't afford signing more than two top 30 players. The max contract is effectively a price ceiling and helps creat a competitive imbalance because your stars get paid below market value.

Hard salary cap is the way to go. It would give all 30 team an even playing field and if players want money then markets wouldn't as much. Next CBA I really hope we get a hard cap and get rid of max salaries.

According to SI.com the Knicks are now talking with guards Wayne Ellington and Willie Green...good grief. These guys have been cut by multiple teams the last few years and are basically a half step up from D league level. Indicates non of the better players are interested or buying into Phil's pitch. If that is what the NYK get it will be another awful season...and they don't even have a draft pick next year.

They also picked Leonard, who is probably the best player in that draft, at 15th. They know what they're doing.
They're even smarter than that. They made a draft night trade to get that pick.

Do people think the #2 pick becomes a 8 time all star every year? Just look at the draft history.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm sure it would be a fun thread. My projection might also build some decline into his game, since he's on the other side of 30 and has the bad knee. I'm gonna name the guys I think are for sure, no question, better than Melo

Lebron
Durant
Davis
Harden
Curry
I want to put Gasol here. So that's basically first team all NBA, plus Kevin Durant. Then there are some guys I think are better; I'm sure I'll get heat for some of these
Paul
Griffin
Westbrook
Cousins
Duncan

A lot of it will come down to defensive evaluation; just compare Melo to a guy like Jimmy Butler. I'm not saying Butler is better, but he had a really good scoring year and is a lock down defender and just turned 26.

I think assuming Melo comes back and is healthy, he's somewhere in the 10-15 range.

The only difference between say, Harden and Melo is that Harden was healthy and on a good team. Melo is an elite offensive player too.

Gasol has become very overrated. He's good, but he's no more important to that team than Z-Bo or Conley.

Paul, Griffin, and Westbrook are all extremely debatable. Cousins may be playing himself into that picture.

Lebron, Durant, and Davis are the only guys clearly better. The rest, many of them are very close and will come and go. Curry and Harden are coming off great years. George and Leonard were guys everyone wanted to tout as being better last year.

I see something like this, and I think "Blake Griffin is not better at basketball than Carmelo Anthony." No way. He does play with CP3 though.

Last edited:
According to SI.com the Knicks are now talking with guards Wayne Ellington and Willie Green...good grief. These guys have been cut by multiple teams the last few years and are basically a half step up from D league level. Indicates non of the better players are interested or buying into Phil's pitch. If that is what the NYK get it will be another awful season...and they don't even have a draft pick next year.

This is awful...

Lin:

Landry:

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/616353587841605633

Hard salary cap is the way to go. It would give all 30 team an even playing field and if players want money then markets wouldn't as much. Next CBA I really hope we get a hard cap and get rid of max salaries.
Why do we care about an even playing field and markets not mattering as much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom