NC State attendance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NC State attendance

Fans who need NC level play to even bother coming will always need that same level. No point in chasing those types, focus more on the Dome experience and value.
I don't think it's that. The issue is getting excited like the program has turned a corner toward sustained resurgence, followed by multiple years of mediocrity or losing records. Who wants to get their hopes up to have them dashed, again. Fool me once...!

Nah marketing’s just what you do when you’ve had less than 10 winning seasons in 20 years and finally have a product that excites people more than picking apples or raking leaves

The history at Syracuse is good teams in the 80s/90s with almost no marketing or focus on Gameday experience (yes, I’m overstating…but generally accurate). Then Syracuse tried marketing when they had the worst teams in school history. The result is a casual fan base which distrusts marketing efforts since they think they’re getting sold a bill of goods - and Clemson in 2019 didn’t help that.

Reality at this point is Syracuse needs 2-3 7+ win seasons in a row to bring casual fans back - a 5-0 start barely moves the needle.

A lot of good ideas here. I don’t watch a lot of TV, but do they have any ads on local networks? I frequently travel between Syracuse & Utica and never see any billboards or anything like that.

The history at Syracuse is good teams in the 80s/90s with almost no marketing or focus on Gameday experience (yes, I’m overstating…but generally accurate). Then Syracuse tried marketing when they had the worst teams in school history. The result is a casual fan base which distrusts marketing efforts since they think they’re getting sold a bill of goods - and Clemson in 2019 didn’t help that.

Reality at this point is Syracuse needs 2-3 7+ win seasons in a row to bring casual fans back - a 5-0 start barely moves the needle.
While I agree with most of that, how can you just abandon trying to market well/better? Its a business too.

Just because 2019 humiliated the program after colossal marketing efforts following the 2018 season, doesn’t mean that its not still what Syracuse University needs to do moving forward.

Eventually an exceptional team will catch stride with the exceptional marketing

Just makes me feel like we’re lowering our own ceiling.

I partially agree, as I posted recently , many of the 90s fans, when we drew 47/ 48 avg , have aged out. Post 2018 we showed we could increase season tickets with a good showing, unfortunately 2019 tanked and then Covid. So we are digging out of a really deep hole. But for recruiting and overall image concerns we need to get a nearly full dome. So for a game or two if you have to dump free tickets then so be it. A band aid not a long term solution, as you said a few winning seasons is the long term.

Long time lurker and in event promotion my entire life. A few ideas that might help attendance, but will definitely make the fan experience better:

- Light the Dome ORANGE during the season only after a win. Make it a "thing". 40,000 fans chanting "light the dome" and one of the players pushing a "fake" button to do it. Everyone in the area will know we won.

- At the same time, have billboards all over central New York that have a schedule, ticket information and a Dome that also lights up Orange after a win. Let everyone in upstate New York know we won.

- Now that SU owns the Varsity, incorporate the banner flipping into the post game experience at the dome. Have one of Otto's Army flip the banner

Could make for 2 instant traditions.

- Make last weeks hype video into a TV ad and start running it now.

- Play up the Loud House even more. Have signs at each entrance "Cheer like a champion today" (sorry Notre Dame), " I leave your voice here", "If your sitting , your not helping". Anything to let the fans know how important they are to the game.

Enough for now. There are so many inexpensive things the university could do.

Long time lurker and in event promotion my entire life. A few ideas that might help attendance, but will definitely make the fan experience better:

- Light the Dome ORANGE during the season only after a win. Make it a "thing". 40,000 fans chanting "light the dome" and one of the players pushing a "fake" button to do it. Everyone in the area will know we won.

- At the same time, have billboards all over central New York that have a schedule, ticket information and a Dome that also lights up Orange after a win. Let everyone in upstate New York know we won.

- Now that SU owns the Varsity, incorporate the banner flipping into the post game experience at the dome. Have one of Otto's Army flip the banner

- Play up the Loud House even more. Have signs at each entrance "Cheer like a champion today" (sorry Notre Dame), " I leave your voice here", "If your sitting , your not helping". Anything to let the fans know how important they are to the game.

Love that victory beacon/orange light on bilboards/wherever when theres a victory idea

Casuals don't care about the quad music, etc.
I care !!!! Lol but seriously the year we played clemson and had the country singer play the quad was so much fun. It was an actual party. Place was bumpin

Attachments

• 706AC834-2B05-42E2-9582-F6CD047DB84F.gif
    706AC834-2B05-42E2-9582-F6CD047DB84F.gif
    744.5 KB · Views: 52

Wow, these are actually really awesome ideas

No disrespect but personally I don’t think those things would make an impact on attendance.

Probably won't help attendance, but it might help the fan culture and that is important as well We should be like Packer fans or Nebraska fans and support the team win or lose. Sure, gripe and complain if necessary, but in the end support the team. I lived in Syracuse for 10 years after graduating and went to every football and basketball game and most lacrosse games. I have watched pretty much every game for the last 40 years. In my opinion every Syracuse sports fan should be behind this team.

Everyone is a marketer. It’s incredible the number of experts there are in the field.
Ok but what's the last creative thing you've seen the SU marketing department do? I can't remember a single thing

Ok but what's the last creative thing you've seen the SU marketing department do? I can't remember a single thing
They do things.. The question I guess is do they add up to any value.. If they spend 5k to make 2K but add 500 people in the building is that effort worth it?

I would think they need to accept very little of what they do is going to bring in people and make them money but the goal now is to get bodies back into the building.. But then does it make the public think they can just hold on every time and get free things..

I think maybe a promotion where if you come you get a discount for a game next year would be interesting if they could pull it off. you have 3 big games coming up at home. Have to find a way to get people in that doesnt also piss of those that bought tickets at a higher price.

Throw in a 2 for 1 beer deal and it will get rowdy in a minute.
If SU does $1 beer for 1st half the dome would be rocking and 1$ hot dogs. They pack them in at the baseball stadium for those nights and the rest of the time place is empty. Do the same thing.

He must read the board. Even uses some of the same words (fairweather).

Yeah saw that. With Alabama at tn that weekend I’d say the one percentage chance of gameday being here went down to zero. Just have resigned myself it ain’t happening in my lifetime, insert depressed face……

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom