NCAA 1st Round Games for March 18 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 1st Round Games for March 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying the ACC had a bad year is not personal opinion. Even if the ACC plays well this tournament it does not change the conclusion. It does mitigate some of the badness, that I agree with.

Let's compare to the Big East.who isn't doing as well in the tournament.

The Big East an 11 team league had 11 Out of Conference Wins over Top 12 seeds, and 2 others over the first 4 out (13 total). The ACC a 15 team league only had 6. That's a big difference (1.2 per team vs 0.4 per team)

View attachment 215759

The Big East had 4 bad out of conference losses (q3+q4 losses). The ACC had 17 of them!!! 17 vs 4. (1.1 per team vs 0.3 per team)

It was a really bad year for the ACC. It deserved its low seeds, and the tournament won't change that conclusion. It could certainly reduce how bad the conference is viewed in the end.
I pretty much agree with everything you say here though I'm not too enamored with the BE (not saying you are). I think we need to hold the phone on initial ACC success. We haven't even hit the first weekend yet.

I had bet on Michigan St earlier in the day at +1.5 but about 15 minutes before the game I changed my mind. I wanted to void that bet and bet on Davidson instead. I suspect it was the Illinois and Iowa factor.

But they would not let me void a bet that close to a game. Too bad for them and good for me!

UK won by 17, but perhaps it was them blowing them away at the end?
Don't remember the game much, I had forgot their run until now. And didn't think it was already 12 years ago.

View attachment 215760
It was close early. Cornell took the air out of the ball and that UK team couldn’t shoot. It’s why they lost to West Virginia.

I had bet on Michigan St earlier in the day at +1.5 but about 15 minutes before the game I changed my mind. I wanted to void that bet and bet on Davidson instead. I suspect it was the Illinois and Iowa factor.

But they would not let me void a bet that close to a game. Too bad for them and good for me!
You could always do an in-game bet if your book provides that.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here though I'm not too enamored with the BE (not saying you are). I think we need to hold the phone on initial ACC success. We haven't even hit the first weekend yet.

I'm not enamoured with the Big East by any means but it played really well before January 1. It deserved what it got.

But they also fit into my theory I made a few times here. All conferences are not stagnant -- some are improving more than others... but its so hard to see once they only play each other. Conferences that get a large % of teams in do deserve those seeds (you just can't guess what league is now playing better) but at times can be overvalued as well.

Saying the ACC had a bad year is not personal opinion. Even if the ACC plays well this tournament it does not change the conclusion. It does mitigate some of the badness, that I agree with.

Let's compare to the Big East.who isn't doing as well in the tournament.

The Big East an 11 team league had 11 Out of Conference Wins over Top 12 seeds, and 2 others over the first 4 out (13 total). The ACC a 15 team league only had 6. That's a big difference (1.2 per team vs 0.4 per team)

View attachment 215759

The Big East had 4 bad out of conference losses (q3+q4 losses). The ACC had 17 of them!!! 17 vs 4. (1.1 per team vs 0.3 per team)

It was a really bad year for the ACC. It deserved its low seeds, and the tournament won't change that conclusion. It could certainly reduce how bad the conference is viewed in the end.
Remember they played most of these OOC games in November to early, mid December . Teams improve or wane, tire through the season. Conferences have increased their intra conference games and decreased the number of OOC games they play. They no longer play any OOC games the last 3 months of the season. Particularly with all the transfers, new players coming in, current players checking out planning to transfer, injuries, trying to mesh new players - teams will be evolving during the season. Some teams improve, others start falling apart. Much more difficult for teams to play one OOC opponent in a conference and make generalizations which conference is better or worse 3 months later anymore. Most teams aren’t performing at the same level they were 3 months ago - whether better or worse. Things have changed.

I'm not enamoured with the Big East by any means but it played really well before January 1. It deserved what it got.

But they also fit into my theory I made a few times here. All conferences are not stagnant -- some are improving more than others... but its so hard to see once they only play each other. Conferences that get a large % of teams in do deserve those seeds (you just can't guess what league is now playing better) but at times can be overvalued as well.
The Big East peaked early except for Villanova.

You could always do an in-game bet if your book provides that.

They do but BET365 takes -115 instead of -110 on most in game bets. Didn't want to lose that cut on something I was just betting on to bet on.

TCU playing with their food with 10 minutes left you just hate to see it

Yeah personally I think the committee puts too much emphasis on what happens in november and december. That's how u get a Dook with a 2 seed cuz they had some big wins 3-4 months ago but have looked so-so in the last month leading up to the tourney. Too much emphasis on games played long ago often screws up the seedings. JMO.

Remember they played most of these OOC games in November to early, mid December . Teams improve or wane, tire through the season. Conferences have increased their intra conference games and decreased the number of OOC games they play. They no longer play any OOC games the last 3 months of the season. Particularly with all the transfers, new players coming in, current players checking out planning to transfer, injuries, trying to mesh new players - teams will be evolving during the season. Some teams improve, others start falling apart. Much more difficult for teams to play one OOC opponent in a conference and make generalizations which conference is better or worse 3 months later anymore. Most teams aren’t performing at the same level they were 3 months ago - whether better or worse. Things have changed.
Excellent points.

Certainly agree that teams and leagues improve at different levels (I posted it above in a reply to BPO) and you certainly well laid out some of the reasons. But it is almost impossible to determine which league is moving which way when they are only playing each other.

The committee can't just start guessing on who is playing better. How do you fairly decide what conference is improving when they are only playing each other. You can't say x conference deserved more teams after the tournament has been played. There has to be some rhyme and reason as to why teams are selected and it can't be guesswork over data.

The fact is that the ACC dug itself a historically major hole with its play before the end of December. This could have easily resulted in the league getting 3 teams if a few game results change or there was a different committee (i.e VTech winning, Notre Dame getting in instead of A&M). That has to make it a bad year for the league, that can only be partially mitigated in March.

Can't let 5 or 6 games cloud your judgment on how the conference did, when there is a sample of 170 earlier Out of Conference games that cost the league several bids to the NCAA tournament. No matter the time of the year, it makes it a bad year.

Last edited:
Davidson hoisting bad 3’s down 4, instead of maybe just 1 more quick 2 after the Michigan State turnover… would have liked to see that play out differently

As I watch SH and Kadary, not sure how much he would have played this year our lineup or when he got in would he have been any more effective than Symir? Kind of gets me over the concern of him leaving.

I watch quite a bit of SH because my nephew is a JR there and he’s nowhere near the player he was for us. They don’t have the shooting there that we had around him last year and would have had this year. It was a lose/lose for both sides.
I hate Seton Hall for a number of reasons including the Taurean debacle and I’m sure they tampered with Kadary. But it still is kind of sad seeing Kadary go out like this with five turnovers and playing for a coach who is clearly leaving and did not have his team ready for the tournament. Kadary should have played for Syracuse and we desperately needed him. I’m not going to go over again all that JB did wrong it’s just said that it had to come to this.
nobody did the kid right. Before the season he was mentioned as a potential second round pick. His stock has dropped. Nobody won with this one.

too bad that first free throw went in for Mich St, it'd be overtime

DAVIDSON +1.5 DONT LET ME GET HOT

UK won by 17, but perhaps it was them blowing them away at the end?
Don't remember the game much, I had forgot their run until now. And didn't think it was already 12 years ago.

View attachment 215760

The Kentucky/Cornell game started just after SU lost to Butler. I remember going to the Dome with a few friends and it was the last place I wanted to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom