NCAA 1st Round Games for March 18 | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA 1st Round Games for March 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davidson’s half court offense would have made Dook look silly. I think Izzo out coaches K on Sunday but I looooved the matchup for Davidson

Hope you're right but Izzo has had very little success against K.
2-1 in the last three including that tournament win over the Zion team, at least.

Yeah personally I think the committee puts too much emphasis on what happens in november and december. That's how u get a Dook with a 2 seed cuz they had some big wins 3-4 months ago but have looked so-so in the last month leading up to the tourney. Too much emphasis on games played long ago often screws up the seedings. JMO.

But its not necessarily the equal emphasis on a teams specific November and December games that will determine the fate of conferences as whole. I do agree for individual teams they could be mis-seeded by a few lines based on equal emphasis on early games. Like Duke you just pointed out -- I am up and down on the policy, -- it does take one element of judgment out, but is it the element you want taken out.

But for conferences overall, whether you value late games more, those early out of conference games will still largely determine the fate of its members.

By the end of December, we knew teams in the SEC, B12, BE, BIG would get an inordinate amount of Q1 opportunities and tournament bids... and other leagues like the ACC would not. And when quality wins ultimately are the biggest factor for choosing teams the structure of the entire tournament is almost 100% dictated by how conferences do before January 1st. Even if you start to emphasize later games more for individual teams. And I am not sure if there is a fairer way to be honest.

And that is why you have to conclude the ACC had a bad year. It put itself in such a hole in the 160 or so out of conference games it played, that it was impossible for them to get more than 5 seeds...and they were extremely lucky to get 5. They could just have easily had 3. And even if they went to the last 10 games as a separator of bubble teams again things really would not have changed.

Last edited:
God damn I want to see little Brad Davison cry after this game

nice motion offense by Gate. Fun to watch compared to our iso ball, fadeaway jumper 3s

But its not necessarily the emphasis on a teams specific November and December games. That is another matter which I will address two paragaphs below.

How conferences do before end of December (as a whole) will basically fully determine how many Q1 opportunities a team in that conference will get. By the end of December, we knew teams in the SEC, B12, BE, BIG would get an inordinate amount of Q1 opportunities and tournament bids... and other leagues like the ACC would not. And when quality wins ultimately are the biggest factor for choosing teams the structure of the entire tournament is almost 100% dictated by how conferences do before January 1st. And I am not sure if there is a fairer way to be honest. As long as you want quality wins to be the prime factor this is what will happen.

Now getting to your point. The early games vs last games is always going to be a debate. I think they do a good job selecting within that policy, but the policy could certainly change. However, even if they changed their policy, it might impact individual teams a bit, but the impact of early play by the conference will still always linger. It will be the 4 conferences above that get the most quality opportunities to shine at the end of the year. A team like Virginia Tech for example could not have an impressive run in the ACC tournament like Texas A&M (assuming it loss in the final) It was just not possible - 3 late SEC wins were always going to be better than 3 late ACC wins.

And that is why you have to conclude the ACC had a bad year. It put itself in such a hole in the 160 or so out of conference games it played, that it was impossible for them to get more than 5 seeds...and were lucky to get 5. And if they went to the last 10 as a separator of bubble teams things really would not have changed.
I agree with you about the ACC this season.

I just have a problem with high seedings (higher than deserved) of teams that did well three months ago but are on a bad run coming in to the tourney. It screws up the competitive balance of the brackets. Doesn't happen a lot but it happens every year. Back in the day they would look at last ten games as one metric. They did away with that. unfortunate in my view.

Wisconsin gets to play in Milwaukee and they brought their own announcers to do the game. A lot of rooting by announcing teams this year.

Colgate needs to get back to their threes. Mid range pull-ups aren’t getting it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom