NCAA Boogeyman | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Boogeyman

Isn't the hearing basically an appeal? It's not labeled such, but they get to plead their case since we disagree with a charge. I'm not exactly sure how it works after that, but they know what the penalties are. It's a joke that the Lloyd Carr, and Bobby Cremins are the 2 people hearing our side. Didn't Cremins get caught cheating at GT?
No it is not. The hearing is our chance to explain our side. We have been notified of the issues and this is our chance to respond to them. If we don't like the results, we have the appeal process at that point.

NCAA investigators.jpg

The Coaches and University can't comment on this per the NCAA. Nothing about the investigation, the way it was handled or the penalties can be spoken about. JB has mentioned that multiple times.

I'm not sure what the consequences will be, but if I had to read the Tea Leaves, I don't think it will be that bad as we are still recruiting the best of the best out there and Jim Boeheim is still the coach of Syracuse Basketball. If the consequences were truly awful, I doubt he would be coaching. He mentioned this in his book that has yet to hit the shelves.

For me personally this investigation is way to drawn out. I mean in the time period since the investigation started, we have made the elite 8, final four, changed leagues, Penn State was given sanctions, then those sanctions were taken away, UNC was accused of "teaching fake classes" and they haven't really been investigated except internally, FSU and Tallahassee Police botched a s e xual Assault investigation, and here we have the sudden moral characters of Lloyd Carr and Bobby Cremins telling us how immoral our basketball program is. So I guess to answer your question the NCAA is a joke, and if what they find is what we already know, I hope Daryl and Kent appeal any possible scholarship losses or postseason bans, because the entire Academic support staff in the basketball program has been replaced.
The drug policy which we had , and no-one else had, was the fault of the previous AD Jake, so we shouldn't get any punishment for his actions. As for the academic problems, see the report that came out about UNC, our new Chancellor needs to talk to Donna S from Miami, and get her lawyer to tell the NCAA what they can do. We also are now in one of the Power 5 conferences, so I expect we will be treated differently, then in the past.

Last edited:
baggerbob said:
The drug policy which we had , and no-one else had, was the fault of the previous AD Jake, so we shouldn't get any punishment for his actions.

Not sure what that means. NCAA requires you to have a policy. Then to follow it.

iommi said:
I tend to be a nervous, easily excitable type. (Maybe that's why I love the song, "Excitable Boy" by the late, great Warren Zevon.) I know this and accept this about myself. I just wanted to preface what I am writing about here with that realization. That being said, I'm shocked at what I perceive to be a lack of concern about the possible sanctions against our beloved hoops program. I mean there are a few threads about this but not as much chatter as I'd expect. Now I realize that whatever happens at and after the NCAA hearing is out of our control, but the rumors that have been circulating certainly sound serious. I'm trying not to think about the what if's but as I've said, worrying about things is part of my DNA. It just pisses me off that this cloud is hovering over our program once again. I'm not sure whom my anger should be directed toward but I'm always ready to tell the NCAA to go to hell. It's a very frustrating situation; I can only imagine how frustrating it is for JB, the hoops staff and the rest of the athletic department at my beloved alma mater. Here we are in the middle of a tremendous era in SU Hoops and I feel very uneasy instead of feeling hopeful and optimistic about a future that looks very bright on paper. I've gone through some tough personal stuff in the past year; so let me make it clear: despite this post sounding very doom and gloom, it obviously is in context. Nothing that happens to the hoops team is that important in the big picture and I'm well aware of that. Maybe we're just used to being under the microscope after being dragged through the mud with all the negative news about our program in recent years that we've become desensitized?? I really don't know but I'm hoping someone can talk me off the symbolic ledge because I have been out of sorts since this news leaked last Friday.
Great song. Zevon is so underrated. Lawyers Guns and Money is top 10 for me.

Great song. Zevon is so underrated. Lawyers Guns and Money is top 10 for me.

He was a brilliant songwriter. It's a joke he's not in the Rock Hall of Fame. He also took on his terminal cancer like only he can: with a sense of humor. I'm very upset I never saw him in concert.

iommi said:
He was a brilliant songwriter. It's a joke he's not in the Rock Hall of Fame. He also took on his terminal cancer like only he can: with a sense of humor. I'm very upset I never saw him in concert.
I got into him and tom waits and others like them about 10 years ago. Real artists. I have no idea about the HOF. Neil diamond is in it!

I'm going with fine and jb suspension. I think we mitigated some of the damage by retooling the student stuff.

I'm going with fine and jb suspension. I think we mitigated some of the damage by retooling the student stuff.

What do you mean by your first sentence? Is there a typo--"fine and jb suspension?" Oh, I think I get it...we'll be fined and JB suspended? I'm not sure fines and suspensions are the norm...

I got into him and tom waits and others like them about 10 years ago. Real artists. I have no idea about the HOF. Neil diamond is in it!

And Madonna...and Public Enemy...acts like that have nothing to do with Rock and Roll.

Not sure what that means. NCAA requires you to have a policy. Then to follow it.
90% of division 1 university's have their own drug testing programs in addition to the NCAA's. The NCAA one is done by a random selection. I believe the one that we are talking about was done by the University. The NCAA does not make you have an additional drug policy. Had this been a failed drug test administered by the NCAA there would be no discussion the NCAA would have taken action. I believe the NCAA is sniffing around on how we handled our own drug policy.

cusetown1 said:
90% of division 1 university's have their own drug testing programs in addition to the NCAA's. The NCAA one is done by a random selection. I believe the one that we are talking about was done by the University. The NCAA does not make you have an additional drug policy. Had this been a failed drug test administered by the NCAA there would be no discussion the NCAA would have taken action. I believe the NCAA is sniffing around on how we handled our own drug policy.

Yep.

Yep.
The problem was we had a university policy which our AD at the time didn't follow, if we were like other schools who didn't have one we would have been fine.

It's going to be a lot worse then that unless we can make a really good case. Which I feel we did by being proactive. We're going to get screwed big time.

The problem was we had a university policy which our AD at the time didn't follow, if we were like other schools who didn't have one we would have been fine.
How do you know he didn't follow it?

It's going to be a lot worse then that unless we can make a really good case. Which I feel we did by being proactive. We're going to get screwed big time.
Lol this is nothing compared to what the ncaa has been letting go. If we get screwed big time that's when I quit watching college sports.

Lol this is nothing compared to what the ncaa has been letting go. If we get screwed big time that's when I quit watching college sports.

Do we really know what "this" is?

Do we really know what "this" is?

Dude slow down/calm down. Follow your own words in your original post.

Let this play out.

I kinda of get the sense from you reply posts in this thread.

NBC news just ran a story about the results of the North Carolina independent study which they are forwarding to the NCAA. Evidently horrible findings...let's see what happens.

Dude slow down/calm down. Follow your own words in your original post.

Let this play out.

I'm actually very calm. I'm just saying we don't know what the specific allegations are, so it's difficult to compare our case to other ones.

Enjoy every sandwich. I saw him in concert on the Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School tour. Great. Still have the shirt I bought. It's a bit tight now. ;)

Actually, I appreciate a good deal of his music, before the Forever in Blue Jeans crap. Really early stuff is good. Taproot Manuscript is a great album, IMO.

Actually, I appreciate a good deal of his music, before the Forever in Blue Jeans crap. Really early stuff is good. Taproot Manuscript is a great album, IMO.
I appreciate his music don't get me wrong, but for what it is...cheese. But if he's in the hof lots of others belong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom