NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

Very douche comment. Every time we have debated this issue I thought you had more respect I guess I am wrong. Congrats.
Just pointing out that you've beaten this horse to death... all by yourself. SWITCHING TO AN ALL-CAPS FORMAT DOESN'T CHANGE THINGS.

You'd help reach your goal faster by contacting the Syracuse sports press directly and in a civil manner. You might want to start with Niko and Mink. Even if they take an interest in the story it still may not go anywhere.

Dr. Gross never destroyed the Metlife-Notre Dame deal when we joined the ACC why?
He's made it clear that he sees SU as New York's College Team. Part of that vision includes playing some games in the NYC market. Why would he "destroy" the deal if it serves his needs? How do you know that the deal hasn't been modified?

Why didn't he try to get the Metlife games moved to the Dome when Notre Dame committed to the 5 annual ACC games?
How do you know that he didn't try to have one of the games moved? I expect to see Syracuse as one of the schools that gets an extra ND game. I also expect that game to be played in the Dome. It's the best outcome for all parties while respecting the existing agreement. It would translate to a 1-2-2 series. Going forward, it wouldn't be strange to see 1-1-1 scheduling arrangements for this series.

This isn't revisionist history all my points are legit.
Your questions are mostly legit. Not everyone here would consider them to be "points" or "facts", however, even though you often attempt to present them as such.

The people who don't care don't need to try and spin this. I get people who like the Metlife games, but people trying to make people like me as extremist just either don't like me personally or want to drink the kool-aid.
There are other possibilities along with the two that you've listed. I believe that many here fall into one of those other possibilities.

If we never play the home/home with Penn State because of their 9 game B1G I would be disappointed but okay with it.
The remainder of that 3-game series is dead.

Moontan...is honing in on the reality of the issue. Going forward only Notre Dame, PSU, plugging nose-->Rutgirls, and a few other select B1G and SEC teams can help us get to 60k+ at MetLife. TGD has over 10 games to go...you can bet your bupkis...the best we'll see with ND is a 2-2-1 series (with 1 being the Carrier Dome). I hope we can get PSU to commit to more 1-1-1's. The game in NJ helps both programs. MetLife is with us...I do agree with Alsacs that TGD needs to address the MetLife games going forward.

Can't believe the number of people that think attendance will come back when we start winning 9 games again but are OK with playing games in MetLife where we lose 100% of a home field advantage. And we haven't seen any exposure pluses since we lose each time. I also don't think in he end any recruit picks SU because we play a game in MetLife.

If we were a really good team, we might get something out of playing at MetLife. Since we're an average team, we get little.

So we get fewer wins by playing in MetLife and we get fewer fans in the Dome because all these games are in NJ.

I can not believe we are still talking about MetLife games. Holy crap. What don't people understand?!!!!
These games are scheduled years in advance. They weren't home games that were moved. They were originally scheduled in NYC as part of the scheduling negotiations.
If you recall, we were in the Big East trying like hell to get out so these games were necessary.
As you can see, now that we are in the ACC, we are starting to schedule bigger names in the dome...see LSU for example.
We were targeting NYC and NJ recruits under Marrone so these games helped big time.
Playing at MetLife helped attract a better opponent since NYC is an attraction.
We received a heck of a lot more money for these games than a regular home game at the dome where no one feels like showing up for some reason.
Do you not see ND, Florida State, LSU and many other major program doing the same thing playing games in Dallas, Atlanta, Indianapolis or Baltimore?
It was a no brainer people! Get over it.

Can't believe the number of people that think attendance will come back when we start winning 9 games again but are OK with playing games in MetLife where we lose 100% of a home field advantage. And we haven't seen any exposure pluses since we lose each time. I also don't think in he end any recruit picks SU because we play a game in MetLife.

If we were a really good team, we might get something out of playing at MetLife. Since we're an average team, we get little.

So we get fewer wins by playing in MetLife and we get fewer fans in the Dome because all these games are in NJ.
1 game.

1 game.

1 game.

only 1 game was moved...usc.

1 game.

1 game.

1 game.

Fn relax people.

NYC is 1 thing, but bergen/essex/passaic countys are being recruited not only by nd & the b1g...but by the SEC and the rest of the ACC.

its GREAT to play there.

I'm a season ticket holder, loyal to the program and I'm fine with the MetLife games. Great exposure for the program. We wouldn't be getting a prime time game on national TV if it was played at the Dome. I drive 4 plus hours to go to SU games. People from Syracuse can do that once a year.
Honestly, if the program is making that much money off of these games then so be it. Its a disadvantage to play home games in front of hostile crowds, that was the case last year against PSU and will be Saturday.
As a season ticket holder I'm psyched to have LSU coming, its the first elite non conference foe we have had in the dome in a while. And I selfishly prefer this to playing at Met Life. Again if the amount of $$$$$$ coming in from the Met Life games is that great then so be it, I can live with it.

DPCuse said:
I can not believe we are still talking about MetLife games. Holy crap. What don't people understand?!!!! These games are scheduled years in advance. They weren't home games that were moved. They were originally scheduled in NYC as part of the scheduling negotiations. If you recall, we were in the Big East trying like hell to get out so these games were necessary. As you can see, now that we are in the ACC, we are starting to schedule bigger names in the dome...see LSU for example. We were targeting NYC and NJ recruits under Marrone so these games helped big time. Playing at MetLife helped attract a better opponent since NYC is an attraction. We received a heck of a lot more money for these games than a regular home game at the dome where no one feels like showing up for some reason. Do you not see ND, Florida State, LSU and many other major program doing the same thing playing games in Dallas, Atlanta, Indianapolis or Baltimore? It was a no brainer people! Get over it.

This.

We have six home games this year. Of course it would be nice to have Notre dame here, but it wasn't "taken away" from us

You hit the nail on the head. Axe said that SU gets $5 million to play Notre Dame at Met Life this year. We all complain about attendance and the last time we played Notre Dame and Penn State in the Dome we could not sell out the games (even though the visitors sold 10,000+ tickets). I have had football season tickets for 25 years and with the lack of interest towards this program locally I don't blame them for playing the games at Met Life.

5 million dollars is a lot of money for Syracuse and we dont have to share any of it.

The Texas Bowl paid out $1.7 mil by comparison.

5 million dollars is a lot of money for Syracuse and we dont have to share any of it.

The Texas Bowl paid out $1.7 mil by comparison.
and the team, staff, adminstration and 95% of the fans...couldnt drive to it.

its also 1 night of a hotel instead of 4 or 5.

$$$$$

Playing the game for money is fine. The tv exposure could be great if SU wins one of these games (this weekend obviously makes the biggest impression because of the time slot).

What needs to stop is the message about it helping recruiting, so let's all just call it what it is- a big money game played in an area convenient for many SU alums, which gives the players a chance to play in a NFL stadium.

Nothing wrong with it, so no need to pretend this is anything else.

SU screwed people in the NY metro area when it joined the ACC. We lost 6-8 football, basketball and lacrosse games a year. I see the MetLife games as a payback to those fans like myself.
I'm having trouble coming up with 6-8 lost NY metro area games, especially with the RUrahs off to the B1G.

DPCuse said:
I can not believe we are still talking about MetLife games. Holy crap. What don't people understand?!!!! These games are scheduled years in advance. They weren't home games that were moved. They were originally scheduled in NYC as part of the scheduling negotiations. If you recall, we were in the Big East trying like hell to get out so these games were necessary. As you can see, now that we are in the ACC, we are starting to schedule bigger names in the dome...see LSU for example. We were targeting NYC and NJ recruits under Marrone so these games helped big time. Playing at MetLife helped attract a better opponent since NYC is an attraction. We received a heck of a lot more money for these games than a regular home game at the dome where no one feels like showing up for some reason. Do you not see ND, Florida State, LSU and many other major program doing the same thing playing games in Dallas, Atlanta, Indianapolis or Baltimore? It was a no brainer people! Get over it.

You might have an argument if it wasn't a 20+ year deal. Also, trust was damaged when this whole thing started with a game scheduled at the Dome got moved.

KaiserUEO said:
1 game. 1 game. 1 game. only 1 game was moved...usc. 1 game. 1 game. 1 game. Fn relax people. NYC is 1 thing, but bergen/essex/passaic countys are being recruited not only by nd & the b1g...but by the SEC and the rest of the ACC. its GREAT to play there.

Yea, 1 game got moved. But that isn't the point at all. We've lost the potential of playing the games at home. Negatives out way the positives.

lummgr said:
This. We have six home games this year. Of course it would be nice to have Notre dame here, but it wasn't "taken away" from us

Plenty of teams have 7. The program would be far better off having another home game instead of a road game.

The NC locals think otherwise, of course, but I think Duke should schedule an annual or semi-annual game or two at the Meadowlands. More alumni up there than in NC. If they did it Thanksgiving weekend, there might be more students too. Duke-Syracuse in FB on Saturday, then a Duke and Syracuse MBB nonconference double header at MSG on Sunday would be especially awesome.

A Couple Questions:

1) Since I pay for season tickets and Met Life is considered a home game shouldn't I get a ticket or at least some sort of discount for my home game that I am screwed out of?

2) Is it going to be worth the exposure if we end this Met Life series with a record of 0-10? Sounds like we are getting paid to take a beating ala FCS teams.

3) If these series were scheduled so far in advance like DPCuse said above, could someone tell me who we are playing?

4) Why are we the only ACC team going forward that has given up home games against ND? I can understand neutral series but does this mean all ND games are at Met Life or just OUR home games?

5) If LSU is coming to the Dome next year why can't other high profile teams? Kinda kills that whole argument that big teams won't come here.

6) Where is $5M per Met Life game coming from? The numbers don't work if the other team is getting paid that kind of money too. Not everyone buying a ticket is paying for parking or concessions. Even at 80,000 persons there (which I HIGHLY doubt will happen), an average ticket price of $100, $30 parking for everyone there and $20 in concessions per person, that's $150 x 80,000 = $12,000,000. I don't think Met Life is giving away $5M to Syracuse, $5M to ND and only keeping $2M. And that's with a very optimistic ticket price and extras.

I'm going to the game for $75 which includes a bus from Albany and my ticket. I'm guessing a lot of other people are getting these kinds of deals.

The numbers don't work.

Yea, 1 game got moved. But that isn't the point at all. We've lost the potential of playing the games at home. Negatives out way the positives.
potential?? POTENTIAL??? POTENTIAL??

we talkin bout potential, man. potential.

not reality, just potential.

POTENTIAL??

not reality, potential.

you guys are all insane.

Syracuse gets huge exposure playing in NYC and cashes a nice paycheck...and all we are talking about is the threat of a 1 off starting in 2019, a 1 off that likely never wouldve happened without Giants Stadium.

and to top off, the school puts LSU in the freakin Dome, LSU!!! thus proving to everyone that all the big games wont be at Giants Stadium, but you guys are all out here crying wolf on potential.

fluckin unreal.

im not bringing any kill to this weeks tailgate and i wont pay for anything now either and i will eat like a king, because you all piss me off.

Last edited:
I am not sure if these games make economic sense (apparently they do) or if they provide us with a stage that creates recruiting traction but I love this trip, love the venue and don't feel any resentment
against SU or the AD. There is going to be fantastic weather and a great time, win or lose. , I will even add some Tito's and sip the kool-aid.

rrlbees said:
Can't believe the number of people that think attendance will come back when we start winning 9 games again but are OK with playing games in MetLife where we lose 100% of a home field advantage. And we haven't seen any exposure pluses since we lose each time. I also don't think in he end any recruit picks SU because we play a game in MetLife. If we were a really good team, we might get something out of playing at MetLife. Since we're an average team, we get little. So we get fewer wins by playing in MetLife and we get fewer fans in the Dome because all these games are in NJ.

Losing at home with low exposure and low money < Losing at MetLife with high exposure and high money

The games don't bother me that much but what does is that the alumni in the NYC metro area are pretty poor supporters of their alma mater. Its one thing to get outdrawn by PSU but by USC?? If we have so many alumni in the area what's their excuse?

I live out of state and this week is the only week I have seen anything on TV about an upcoming SU football game. This is great for the profile of the program and the coffers. It sucks for the season ticket holders, but at $99...I don't think a high profile non-conference game is necesarily priced in. Florida State, the defending national champs and #1 team in the country is playing in the dome this year. Not sure what more you can expect for the price. FSU fans are going to take over the dome and make it feel like Tallahasee north. It is unavoidable for a conference game but I don't want 15k Notre Dame dbags taking over the dome. NYC is a really smart choice for multiple reasons.

Not everyone pays 99 dollars for season tix BTW... I'm one of the people going to MetLife, actually enjoy attending, and am completely fine if they continue scheduling games there until the world stops spinning. Just wanted to clarify that some people pay A LOT more than 99 bucks for their season tix so I could understand why they'd be a little miffed. On the other hand, if you have that much disposable income to spend on seasons, don't you have enough to take a weekend trip to NYC in the early fall.