Next years backcourt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next years backcourt

Agreed our backcourts defense is likely the biggest question IMO. Two have never played in it, one is much smaller than our usual guys and Frank who did play never seemed to fully grasp the whens and wheres of the defense. I think they will struggle early and hope that we have enough shotblocking to counteract it until they get things down.

Every year the defense takes practically the whole season before it gets really good. There is no doubt there will be a learning curve at the top of the zone.

Michael Carter-Williams/Triche was pretty good

Which do you think was the best pairing:

Triche / Rautins

or

Triche / Jardine

or

Trich / MCW

Operative word here is Triche!

Which do you think was the best pairing:

Triche / Rautins

or

Triche / Jardine

or

Trich / MCW

Operative word here is Triche!

He was the only freshman guard to defend even adequately; it really helps to have someone like that on the team (by the way, Triche/Rautins is the combo I'd go with - better overall than the 2013 guards, who are mainly remembered because of the big postseason run).

I don't expect our defense to be good this season. The question is, will it be just mediocre or Flynn/Devendorf-level bad? Our lack of depth could do two things for Gillon and Battle: it could get them more reps and help them improve, or it could take away the fear of an extended benching and deemphasize the importance of defense.

Either way, I expect this problem to be more than offset by our offensive improvement. For the first time in a very long time, we've got a rotation of three guards with a full set of offensive skills. If Battle adjusts to the college game quickly, these guys should be really good.

He was the only freshman guard to defend even adequately; it really helps to have someone like that on the team (by the way, Triche/Rautins is the combo I'd go with - better overall than the 2013 guards, who are mainly remembered because of the big postseason run).

I don't expect our defense to be good this season. The question is, will it be just mediocre or Flynn/Devendorf-level bad? Our lack of depth could do two things for Gillon and Battle: it could get them more reps and help them improve, or it could take away the fear of an extended benching and deemphasize the importance of defense.

Either way, I expect this problem to be more than offset by our offensive improvement. For the first time in a very long time, we've got a rotation of three guards with a full set of offensive skills. If Battle adjusts to the college game quickly, these guys should be really good.

You think it's going to be easy to score when we have three non-shooters in the game in Howard/Roberson/Chukwu?

You think it's going to be easy to score when we have three non-shooters in the game in Howard/Roberson/Chukwu?

Howard's a good offensive player, Roberson can do a number of things (and probably will see a green light on his 15-footer, finally), and I don't expect much from the big guy.

I won't make any predictions about it being "easy" for a Syracuse team to score after what I've seen for the last four years, but the point was that each guard is an actual high-level college basketball player -- something we've had too few of at those positions for four seasons -- and that that will help those guys operate offensively and overcome what I expect to be some shaky defense for much of the season.

Lydon's sophomore jump will be really interesting to watch.
It's hard not to expect big things from Tyler Lydon.
He may become the best all-around player we've had in a LOOOONG time...and that's taking nothing away from anyone else.
He had a solid freshman year...often playing out of position...and he's only going to get stronger and better.
If the guards run and get into the lane next year Lydon could have spectacular offensive year.

But let me stop here.
Low expectations are best way to get a pleasant surprise (see 2016 season).

Howard's a good offensive player, Roberson can do a number of things (and probably will see a green light on his 15-footer, finally), and I don't expect much from the big guy.

I won't make any predictions about it being "easy" for a Syracuse team to score after what I've seen for the last four years, but the point was that each guard is an actual high-level college basketball player -- something we've had too few of at those positions for four seasons -- and that that will help those guys operate offensively and overcome what I expect to be some shaky defense for much of the season.

I guess you're way more optimistic than I am. I'm thinking at all times we will have at least two guys on the court that won't be able to score outside of five feet, sometimes three.

What Gillon lacks in size he will make up for with quickness.

JB wouldn't give the fourth guard much PT, so it's not like this missing player would be a game changer. Let's face it, if Battle gets hurt, the team is screwed whether we have a fourth guard or not.

What Gillon lacks in size he will make up for with quickness.

JB wouldn't give the fourth guard much PT, so it's not like this missing player would be a game changer. Let's face it, if Battle gets hurt, the team is screwed whether we have a fourth guard or not.

I was thinking along these lines as well. It would be great if the guards were able to keep players in front of them and prevent dribble drives. Maybe better lateral quickness will help with that.

I guess you're way more optimistic than I am. I'm thinking at all times we will have at least two guys on the court that won't be able to score outside of five feet, sometimes three.

More optimistic? I'll take it!

This is all predicated on Howard and Roberson coming back in the fall with fairly completely-developed offensive games. If Roberson's in a shell half the time and Howard's a 2-20 type shooter, I'll walk it back. But I bet both guys will surprise some people.

It's hard not to expect big things from Tyler Lydon.
He may become the best all-around player we've had in a LOOOONG time...and that's taking nothing away from anyone else.
He had a solid freshman year...often playing out of position...and he's only going to get stronger and better.
If the guards run and get into the lane next year Lydon could have spectacular offensive year.

But let me stop here.
Low expectations are best way to get a pleasant surprise (see 2016 season).

Lydon should be the best player on the team...but I'm concerned that our two most proven players(Lydon and Roberson) are both best at the same position. Roberson can't play anywhere else but PF. Lydon can play C, but we've got two other guys there. Can he play SF? Based on our roster and on getting our best players on the floor, it seems that he has to play most of his minutes there. How will he adjust, and how will we adjust what we do to best make use of his talents? Big questions IMO.

I think Gillon / Battle might be the best top of the zone defense we've had in a very long time.

Gillon/Battle > G/Cooney?

Ok, I'm sorry but this is one of the craziest thing I've ever read on this board. G and Cooney have 9 years combined of learning and practicing the zone and played it pretty damn well last year in spite of the awful defense behind them.

This defense isn't something you just pick up during summer and fall practices and have it down. I'll take the guys with 9 years worth of experience playing in it and learning it over two guys who has 0.

The experience of the 3 guys is what concerns me the most.
One has three seasons of D1 ball under his belt, one showed flashes as a freshman and was improving quickly and gaining confidence as the year progressed, and the other is a potential one-and-done talent. I can think of worse hands to play.

So nobody is all that worried with us having only 3 guards? I think we need 1 more.

I mean, it would be preferable to have four guards. I don't think anybody would dispute that.

However, the fourth guard would be more of an insurance policy than anything, since JB prefers to play 3. Even when he had MCW [a McD's all american], he rarely played behind three experienced players who were all quality on a terrific team.

At this point, it is highly unlikely that we'd be able to add a fourth guard who would crack the rotation. If a guy like Kaleb Joseph--who was the handpicked successor that the staff chose to replace Ennis--wasn't able to get off of the bench as a returning starter the previous year, why do we think that a guy like Mike Bibby, Jr. [for example, since his name has been brought up] would somehow provide depth?

If one of the three guards gets injured, we're screwed anyway. Having a fourth guy like Bibby or any other similar player wouldn't change that.

One has three seasons of D1 ball under his belt, one showed flashes as a freshman and was improving quickly and gaining confidence as the year progressed, and the other is a potential one-and-done talent. I can think of worse hands to play.

If Gillon = Cooney, Battle = Mali, you're left with G and Howard, that's a pretty big gap. Not to mention the defensive difference up top.

If Gillon = Cooney, Battle = Mali, you're left with G and Howard, that's a pretty big gap. Not to mention the defensive difference up top.
But Mali played the 3 last season. So the comparisons would be Gillon to Cooney, Battle to Gbinije, and sophomore Howard to freshman Howard. But your concern about the defense up top (at least early in the season) is legitimate. Thankfully, the defense and experience at the back of the zone should be a real strength (as opposed to a glaring weakness) next season, and will trigger a lot of transition scoring opportunities.

I mean, it would be preferable to have four guards. I don't think anybody would dispute that.

However, the fourth guard would be more of an insurance policy than anything, since JB prefers to play 3. Even when he had MCW [a McD's all american], he rarely played behind three experienced players who were all quality on a terrific team.

At this point, it is highly unlikely that we'd be able to add a fourth guard who would crack the rotation. If a guy like Kaleb Joseph--who was the handpicked successor that the staff chose to replace Ennis--wasn't able to get off of the bench as a returning starter the previous year, why do we think that a guy like Mike Bibby, Jr. [for example, since his name has been brought up] would somehow provide depth?

If one of the three guards gets injured, we're screwed anyway. Having a fourth guy like Bibby or any other similar player wouldn't change that.
Correct. Would be nice to have a 4th, but only as an insurance policy. We are not getting another guard this late that would 'usurp' the other 3.

We don't have one guard who is a knock down shooter.

Too early to claim that. Gillon could be that guy. Maybe Battle will prove to be a better three point shooter than expected. Before anyone pooh-poohs that last statement, consider that Carmelo Anthony wasn't necessarily expected to be a consistent three point shooter. I know that he only shot 33% for the year, but he got better as the year went on, and who can forget that MSU game? By the end of the year, his versatility was impossible to match up with.

Too early to claim that. Gillon could be that guy. Maybe Battle will prove to be a better three point shooter than expected. Before anyone pooh-poohs that last statement, consider that Carmelo Anthony wasn't necessarily expected to be a consistent three point shooter. I know that he only shot 33% for the year, but he got better as the year went on, and who can forget that MSU game? By the end of the year, his versatility was impossible to match up with.

And Battle shot over 40% from 3 last year. He also sounds very determined to prove his doubters wrong with his outside shooting. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up somewhere near 35-37% from deep.

And Battle shot over 40% from 3 last year. He also sounds very determined to prove his doubters wrong with his outside shooting. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up somewhere near 35-37% from deep.

...which would certainly place him in the range of being considered a knock down shooter [especially if one considers 40% to be elite]. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gillon approach that as a complimentary shooter [he did that two of his three years], and Lydon was around 40%, too.

If Howard also shows some aptitude [and he was much better by the end of the season], we could end up having a pretty good outside shooting team after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom