Next years backcourt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next years backcourt

...which would certainly place him in the range of being considered a knock down shooter [especially if one considers 40% to be elite]. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gillon approach that as a complimentary shooter [he did that two of his three years], and Lydon was around 40%, too.

If Howard also shows some aptitude [and he was much better by the end of the season], we could end up having a pretty good outside shooting team after all.
He was much better by the end of the season based on what. He made two 3's last year. If your going to wave that magic shooting wond sprinkle some on Roberson and Coleman. It would be nice to see them knocking down step back threes.

He was much better by the end of the season based on what. He made two 3's last year. If your going to wave that magic shooting wond sprinkle some on Roberson and Coleman. It would be nice to see them knocking down step back threes.

That he began knocking down long jumpers when he got more playing time toward the end of the year. Not just threes.

I have no illusions about him morphing into Jimmer Fredette. But I do believe Howard can emerge as a reasonably competent shooter as his career unfolds, even in a purely complimentary capacity as early as next season.

And Battle shot over 40% from 3 last year. He also sounds very determined to prove his doubters wrong with his outside shooting. I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up somewhere near 35-37% from deep.
That's just it. I don't know why there are doubters. Is it because he does many things well? I always thought he was a good outside shooter, decent looking form and confident with it. That he drives well, passes the ball and makes the right read and play might mask his ability to shoot? But I am not sure who would evaluate him to say shooting is a weakness. That's crazy talk.

Anyways. Wait til you get a load of his defense.
latest

That's just it. I don't know why there are doubters. Is it because he does many things well? I always thought he was a good outside shooter, decent looking form and confident with it. That he drives well, passes the ball and makes the right read and play might mask his ability to shoot? But I am not sure who would evaluate him to say shooting is a weakness. That's crazy talk.

Anyways. Wait til you get a load of his defense.
latest

My opinion only--but I understand why people question, because there is no guarantee that any frosh [even talented ones] will shoot the ball consistently. But that doesn't mean that Battle isn't capable.

Gillon/Battle > G/Cooney?

Ok, I'm sorry but this is one of the craziest thing I've ever read on this board. G and Cooney have 9 years combined of learning and practicing the zone and played it pretty damn well last year in spite of the awful defense behind them.

This defense isn't something you just pick up during summer and fall practices and have it down. I'll take the guys with 9 years worth of experience playing in it and learning it over two guys who has 0.

No way is this the craziest think you've ever read on this board. You are completely out of your mind!

I imagine top the zone will not be very good until the end of the season regardless of which combination you use with Howard, Battle, or Gillon. Hey, the back of the zone may not be very good either with Chukwu. My thinking is everyone is touting how fast both Gillon and Battle are that we may see some steals that lead to really good fast break transition baskets.

We rarely have freshman come in and carry the team, even our good ones. If Mal was still here we would only need Battle to have a year similar to Mal this year. Now with Mal gone, we need him to be better than that. Problem is if he's better than that, I don't know if we still can contend with the big boys, and he will most likely be one and done. My frustration is with the current continuous roster turnover the last 3 years, we can't get out of the middle of the pack of the ACC, and that's frustrating even with the FF run.

It'll be February,and we get blasted by Louisville everyone will complain and wonder why. Louisville has 12 scholarship guys even if Onuaku leaves, we have 8. I love JB right as a coach and he gets good players, but we need more good players.

We rarely have freshman come in and carry the team, even our good ones. If Mal was still here we would only need Battle to have a year similar to Mal this year. Now with Mal gone, we need him to be better than that. Problem is if he's better than that, I don't know if we still can contend with the big boys, and he will most likely be one and done. My frustration is with the current continuous roster turnover the last 3 years, we can't get out of the middle of the pack of the ACC, and that's frustrating even with the FF run.

It'll be February,and we get blasted by Louisville everyone will complain and wonder why. Louisville has 12 scholarship guys even if Onuaku leaves, we have 8. I love JB right as a coach and he gets good players, but we need more good players.

You make some good points. I'm just not sure what the staff could do differently. Recruiting is very much a craps shoot. You hand out a bunch of scholarships but you only get 2 recruits. I think the scholarship reduction has hurt us with regards to we only have 8. What do you suggest we do to fix the problem?

You make some good points. I'm just not sure what the staff could do differently. Recruiting is very much a craps shoot. You hand out a bunch of scholarships but you only get 2 recruits. I think the scholarship reduction has hurt us with regards to we only have 8. What do you suggest we do to fix the problem?
1. Recruit really good -- but not too good -- players who are ready to contribute significantly as freshmen and then improve incrementally over their careers to all-league levels.
2. Never miss on a recruit.

Piece of cake.

1. Recruit really good -- but not too good -- players who are ready to contribute significantly as freshmen and then improve incrementally over their careers to all-league levels.
2. Never miss on a recruit.

Piece of cake.

BR, you're another one of my favorite posters, and I'm an ANALyst, so I like to analyze situations, even outside of work! I have zero issue with the quality of player JAB brings in. He's bringing in quality talent as the draft as showed us, I just wish we were more aggressive and had more options on the roster, because we have so much turnover with the NBA and transfers the past 4 years. It's one of the reasons I wish we were more aggressive last summer even when we had a projected full roster for 16-17.

We need more players, (8 isn't enough) and we need more high level four year guys to bring continuity to the program. Guys like CJ Fair and Brandon Triche were extremely valuable here, they brought stability and helped us be elite. Theres a reason we were so successful when they were here even as we lost guys like Wes, Dion, and MCW to the NBA. I'm hopefully Moyer is one of those guys that stays. NBA talent is important, but we see less and less of that talent be able to carry us, because we never see them develop enough to carry the team here.

BR, you're another one of my favorite posters, and I'm an ANALyst, so I like to analyze situations, even outside of work! I have zero issue with the quality of player JAB brings in. He's bringing in quality talent as the draft as showed us, I just wish we were more aggressive and had more options on the roster, because we have so much turnover with the NBA and transfers the past 4 years. It's one of the reasons I wish we were more aggressive last summer even when we had a projected full roster for 16-17.

We need more players, (8 isn't enough) and we need more high level four year guys to bring continuity to the program. Guys like CJ Fair and Brandon Triche were extremely valuable here, they brought stability and helped us be elite. Theres a reason we were so successful when they were here even as we lost guys like Wes, Dion, and MCW to the NBA. I'm hopefully Moyer is one of those guys that stays. NBA talent is important, but we see less and less of that talent be able to carry us, because we never see them develop enough to carry the team here.
I was being sarcastic, obviously.

As an analyst, you can surely appreciate that we are dealing with small sample sizes, both in terms of the number of players in a recruiting class and the number of rotation guys on a given team, and that unanticipated events (player performance, player development, injuries, early departures, transfers, NCAA sanctions) can in large part determine your fate both in the short term and long term.

That's why I believe JB's consistent record of success on the court is so remarkable. He has somehow found a way to win with very different rosters and varying offensive and defensive approaches. Last season, he took a thin team with defensive flaws on the interior to the Final 4 with an offense that was heavily reliant on the 3-point shot. Next season's team will likely be built around a strong interior defense and rely heavily on the transition game and offensive rebounding to generate offense. But I wouldn't bet against seeing another deep NCAAT run.

I get your frustration with the roster composition and would love have another impact player or two, but I'm confident JB and his staff will make this work. They usually do.

So I'm at the proctologist and I turn to her and say, "So, do you meet a lot of nice people in your line of work?" I was expecting her to say, "No, just a bunch of a holes." But she just smiled. During a follow up visit, there's a 20 year old beautiful blond nurse there. And I'm feeling a little uncomfortable talking about this stuff. How many beautiful blonds do you meet and talk with in your life (I work with computers). So the doctor comes in, and during my examination, it becomes really uncomfortable for me because the doctor is talking to the nurse about what this means and what to do here while I'm on full display! So I said, "I don't mind you having a teaching moment as long as you don't take any selfies". Neither one cracked a smile. Christ, no sense of humor. So then on the way out I turned to the young nurse and say, "nice to meet you."

How good will the backcourt be with Battle, Howard, and Gillon? And don't you think we need another guard? 3 are not enough in my opinion. What happens if there is an injury? Just trying to start a new topic.
How good will the backcourt be with Battle, Howard, and Gillon? And don't you think we need another guard? 3 are not enough in my opinion. What happens if there is an injury? Just trying to start a new topic.
I agree that one more guard,preferably a shooting guard would be a "bigly" help. That and one more big man for the low post. Then we can start talk about the final four for 2017 March games.

I agree that one more guard,preferably a shooting guard would be a "bigly" help. That and one more big man for the low post. Then we can start talk about the final four for 2017 March games.

We may get there with what we have. You never know how a team will gel. The whole is always greater than the parts.

So I'm at the proctologist and I turn to her and say, "So, do you meet a lot of nice people in your line of work?" I was expecting her to say, "No, just a bunch of a holes." But she just smiled. During a follow up visit, there's a 20 year old beautiful blond nurse there. And I'm feeling a little uncomfortable talking about this stuff. How many beautiful blonds do you meet and talk with in your life (I work with computers). So the doctor comes in, and during my examination, it becomes really uncomfortable for me because the doctor is talking to the nurse about what this means and what to do here while I'm on full display! So I said, "I don't mind you having a teaching moment as long as you don't take any selfies". Neither one cracked a smile. Christ, no sense of humor. So then on the way out I turned to the young nurse and say, "nice to meet you."

This may be the best post I've ever read on this forum.

scoop.jpg
Which do you think was the best pairing:

Triche / Rautins

or

Triche / Jardine

or

Trich / MCW

Operative word here is Triche!

Triche/MCW, then Triche/Rautins, then Triche/Scoop. About three years after Scoop graduated, my daughter drew a picture of me in class for Father's Day. In the picture I look like I am having a stroke and am screaming "Scooooooooooooop!!!!" at the television after Scoop ducked under a pick. That basically disqualifies the Triche/Scoop pairing.

Last edited:
I thought proctologists have the best sense of humor. You would think that they would.

I thought this thread was about back courts not back doors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom