next years team is going to be sick | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

next years team is going to be sick

RF2044 said:
We are really not that far from the top 15 THIS year; that's the irony. Maybe if McCullough didn't get injured, or if Joseph were a little further along the developmental curve, we would have closed out a few games. But how bad this team is is being overstated. And with three figural pieces coming back next year, that's a tremendous nucleus to build upon.

Maybe, but even with McCullough this year AND having Rak we got smoked by an awful Cal team and still lost other games. It's evenly debatable both ways on how good we could have been. We get McCullough back but lose Rak. Knowing how JB uses his bench we'll probably go 7, 7.5 deep next year giving us IMO Joseph, Cooney, Richardson, Gbinije, Roberson, Diange, McCullough, and Coleman with the .5 being a mix between BJ, Buss, Howard and Chinoso (I don't see Lydon having much of an opportunity unless BJ leaves us).

That 7.5 is solid but the additions to the team do not surpass the subtractions (Rak) by a lot. Richardson isn't playing more than 20 minutes and the offensive and defensive production coming from the 5 is going to be a big drop off.

We do have the pieces and weapons to be a strong strong team, but I think next season we have just as many questions going in as we have answers. Right now the only sure bets we have are G and Cooney. I personally see McCullough having a great year but until Roberson can show some consistency I'm going to considering him a question mark and I think everybody else in the discussion of the 7.5 I think is fair to say is a question mark as well. Again, not saying we can't get to the promise land, it's just not a sure thing and I don't think it's unfair saying that.

Maybe, but even with McCullough this year AND having Rak we got smoked by an awful Cal team and still lost other games. It's evenly debatable both ways on how good we could have been. We get McCullough back but lose Rak. Knowing how JB uses his bench we'll probably go 7, 7.5 deep next year giving us IMO Joseph, Cooney, Richardson, Gbinije, Roberson, Diange, McCullough, and Coleman with the .5 being a mix between BJ, Buss, Howard and Chinoso (I don't see Lydon having much of an opportunity unless BJ leaves us).

That 7.5 is solid but the additions to the team do not surpass the subtractions (Rak) by a lot. Richardson isn't playing more than 20 minutes and the offensive and defensive production coming from the 5 is going to be a big drop off.

We do have the pieces and weapons to be a strong strong team, but I think next season we have just as many questions going in as we have answers. Right now the only sure bets we have are G and Cooney. I personally see McCullough having a great year but until Roberson can show some consistency I'm going to considering him a question mark and I think everybody else in the discussion of the 7.5 I think is fair to say is a question mark as well. Again, not saying we can't get to the promise land, it's just not a sure thing and I don't think it's unfair saying that.
Hey you are softening a tad, just a few hrs ago you were willing to bet me we wouldnt finish top 15. You sound just slightly more optimistic now. Maybe you had a couple beers since then

Jack Hall said:
Hey you are softening a tad, just a few hrs ago you were willing to bet me we wouldnt finish top 15. You sound just slightly more optimistic now. Maybe you had a couple beers since then

I am willing to bet they won't as I think the odds are in my favor. It's not impossible, I just don't think the improvements will translate as sexy as they do on paper. Losing Rak is my big issue.

I think our best lineup next year is
Pg: Gbinije
Sg: Cooney
Sf: Roberson
Pf: Mccullough
C: Coleman
Bench: Joseph, Diange, Richardson, Lyndon, Bryant, Howard, chinoso and maybe Patterson and Johnson
Nothing against Joseph but Gbinije is hard to keep off the floor and seems to be the better playmaker. Very deep team and lots of talent!!!!

Can't say I dissagree but Gbinije will barely score as a pg, and thats not going to happen. Although he is making the jump to sg from sf much eaiser then fair did. It make sense using him off the ball heck even at pf for a few if need be.

Next years team has so many questions we all need to step back and enjoy the game.
patterson/BJ step up into a jr role and as upperclassmen JB will favor that. Its tough to imagine but possible to see malachi, lydon, Howard gettting the nod over them if they are more ready though.
Will McCullough, Gbinije return .
Will Dajaun come back healthy. How good will he be? The poor guy has been through so much good to see him get 2 more years of elgibility.
Will Obokoh be ready to play.
I think Diagne is going to suprise but to what level is questionable.
It will be nice to use Cooney for shorter bursts I would rather see him at full hustle for 26 then conserving for 32 even.
Will Roberson and Kaleb jump to a leadership role, will they be able to create their own shots?
Thats ALOT of questions.

We are really not that far from the top 15 THIS year; that's the irony. Maybe if McCullough didn't get injured, or if Joseph were a little further along the developmental curve, we would have closed out a few games. But how bad this team is is being overstated. And with three figural pieces coming back next year, that's a tremendous nucleus to build upon.

Totally agree RF and Great Point! Every team gets better as the year goes along, and kaleb and joseph have been.

Last edited:
I am willing to bet they won't as I think the odds are in my favor. It's not impossible, I just don't think the improvements will translate as s e xy as they do in paper. Losing Rak is my big issue.
We lost what 4 huge players after the 2012 season, Dion, Scoop, KJ, and Fab, then we went to FF. We lost 3 after 2013, MCW, BRandon, and JSuth, we were ranked #1 then limped in but were top 20. We lost 4 last yr, Grant, Ennis , CJ, Keita and it really caught up to us. (But possibly because we lost Cole and McC as well). Losing Rak is huge but JB has dealt w far far worse and we have a nice nucleus and a top ten freshmen class coming in. If Bryant comes it is likely top 5. JB wants title number 2 badly. Go Cuse

Can't say I dissagree but Gbinije will barely score as a pg, and thats not going to happen. Although he is making the jump to sg from sf much eaiser then fair did. It make sense using him off the ball heck even at pf for a few if need be.

Next years team has so many questions we all need to step back and enjoy the game.
patterson/BJ step up into a jr role and as upperclassmen JB will favor that. Its tough to imagine but possible to see malachi, lydon, Howard gettting the nod over them if they are more ready though.
Will McCullough, Gbinije return will Dajaun come back healthy.
Will Obokoh be ready to play.
I think Diagne is going to suprise but to what level is questionable.
It will be nice to use Cooney for shorter bursts I would rather see him at full hustle for 26 then conserving for 32 even.
Thats ALOT of questions.

Totally agree RF Great Point!
Wait ? G will barely score as pg? He played a ton of point against #4 duke and scored 28 pts

we don't even know what next years roster is, much less what anybody else's roster is. let's worry about next year next year.

Wait ? G will barely score as pg? He played a ton of point against #4 duke and scored 28 pts
Fair enough.
Imo he played more sg then point against duke. there was a 4-5 minute stretch in the second half when he stopped scoring once kaleb came back in he went back to it. Its a different role when you have to move the ball around the offense and score at the same time. When you are a sg and you first receive the ball there is no shame in looking to score though.

If he learns to do both and get more assist then he should be considered a better pg then MCW was here because of his pullup,his height and physicallity. Tts possible but I just am not seeing that. His mindframe is not the Derek Rose type,not yet anyway. imo He is more of a in control half court isolation scorer then a half court transition scorer. But that could always change Not saying I am right just my observations.

Last edited:
Jack Hall said:
We lost what 4 huge players after the 2012 season, Dion, Scoop, KJ, and Fab, then we went to FF. We lost 3 after 2013, MCW, BRandon, and JSuth, we were ranked #1 then limped in but were top 20. We lost 4 last yr, Grant, Ennis , CJ, Keita and it really caught up to us. (But possibly because we lost Cole and McC as well). Losing Rak is huge but JB has dealt w far far worse and we have a nice nucleus and a top ten freshmen class coming in. If Bryant comes it is likely top 5. JB wants title number 2 badly. Go Cuse

And every year and guy you've mentioned we had capable players behind them. We don't have a Triche making up the lost Dion minutes, don't have a MCW making up for Scoops, don't have a Southerland in for KJ, don't have a Ennis for a MCW.

We didn't have anybody close to Ennis's level coming in when he left and we don't have anybody close to this years Rak coming in. This man has put up numbers that the ACC POY is putting up. This is different.

We do have a top 10 freshman class coming in, the question I pose to you is, how many minutes do you think each player gets per game?

My guess (it's per game, minutes divided by the number of games we played, not their minutes divided by the number of games the player plays) I'm going high end with my guesses.

Richardson 20
Howard 5
Diange 10 (dependent on DCs health)
Lydon 3

The big deal next season with changes to the roster is McCullough coming back and Richardson getting some minutes. To me what those guys are going to offer isn't going to be much higher than what Rak is producing right now.

Fair enough.
Imo he played more sg then point against duke. there was a 4-5 minute stretch in the second half when he stopped scoring once kaleb came back in he went back to it. Its a different role when you have to move the ball around the offense and score at the same time. When you are a sg and you first receive the ball there is no shame in looking to score though.

If he learns to do both and get more assist then he should be considered a better pg then MCW was here because of his pullup, its possible I just am not seeing that. His mindframe is not the Derek Rose type, yet anyway. imo He is more of a in control half court isolation scorer then a half court transition scorer.
Yup its tough to pigeon hole G to a single position, he appears to play 3 different ones. I think he is our best pg by a lot. Probably next year too, but maybe Kaleb makes that big leap

Yeah G is 6'7 hes strong, and hes coming in with a year of smooth isolation and a smooth dagger pullup that is absolutely priceless. When you can do that at more then one position even more so.

I would have loved to see Rak play some PF with Dajuan at center this year.

Sport is all about optimism. Next year is a blank page. I guess you can write whatever you want on it. Now is a good time to do it because when that season starts, we won't be doing the writing: the players will.

Last edited:
And every year and guy you've mentioned we had capable players behind them. We don't have a Triche making up the lost Dion minutes, don't have a MCW making up for Scoops, don't have a Southerland in for KJ, don't have a Ennis for a MCW.

We didn't have anybody close to Ennis's level coming in when he left and we don't have anybody close to this years Rak coming in. This man has put up numbers that the ACC POY is putting up. This is different.

We do have a top 10 freshman class coming in, the question I pose to you is, how many minutes do you think each player gets per game?

My guess (it's per game, minutes divided by the number of games we played, not their minutes divided by the number of games the player plays) I'm going high end with my guesses.

Richardson 20
Howard 5
Diange 10 (dependent on DCs health)
Lydon 3

The big deal next season with changes to the roster is McCullough coming back and Richardson getting some minutes. To me what those guys are going to offer isn't going to be much higher than what Rak is producing right now.
Fair enough, but just remember. Rak as great as he has been for us is seen as a late 1st rd to 2nd round draft pick. There is a very good chance McC will go earlier than that next yr. if Ennis was one and done, not out of the question Malachi could become a legit draft prospect next year as well. Talent goes, talent comes. We shall see. There are tons of question marks no question but i see more good scenarios next year than bad ones (if the ncaa doesnt hammer us). Thats just me

Last edited:
pearl31 said:
It is, isn't it?

At least you're here to add something to this debate. You can use your big boy words at any time and join in to add something constructive. image-3665848947.jpg

I personally think that's insulting Rak saying Mc, Chin, and Diagne can replace him there. If McCullough plays 20 minutes a game at the 5 we have even bigger issues, he'll be eaten alive down there game by game. If you don't think Raks presence is a big deal in our zone and Chin and Diagne isn't a drop off I don't know what to tell you.

We may reach the top 15 next season, but I'm willing to bet you that we don't start nor finish there.

I'd take that bet. Your track record judging talent isn't exactly on point.

Cusefan0307 said:
I'd take that bet. Your track record judging talent isn't exactly on point.

You may want to check my track record before making accusations like that. Wondering where I swung and missed so bad for you to make a comment like that.

You may want to check my track record before making accusations like that. Wondering where I swung and missed so bad for you to make a comment like that.

You're consistently one of the more pessimistic posters on the board. There is nothing wrong with that, it is for your opinion. I'm not attacking you

But it's for that reason alone, it's a solid bet to take you on. I don't see this program missing the sweet 16 three years in a row.

We will have a lot of players next year, some very good proven ones, and others with an opportunity to step up. This year is different because we are down to seven options. College basketball does not relate one season to the next either. Just because you were good or bad last season, doesn't mean you won't be good or bad next season.

But what's not foolish is that we've been competitive in several of those games right down to the wire. No doubt, we haven't gotten W's. But for this being our worst team in 10+ years, we seem to be able to hang with top 10 teams for 38 minutes.

I don't take comfort in pyrrhic victories. And we didn't win those games. But you'd have to be blind to not see that even with a team that is extremely limited from a depth standpoint and has imbalanced scoring, we are an eyelash away from being pretty good THIS YEAR. Many of those issues can improve over the course of the next year or two with the players we're bringing in, and who we'll have returning.
Gee hope your right but:
Coleman may not be ever ready to play certainly not a replacement for Rak
CMac is coming off a major injury and may not be up to speed till January 2016 how can he bulk up to play a Pf or car position?
KJ will be our only true point and he hasn't learned a hell of a lot this year especially on D
Silent G is showing how great he can be but does he have NBA on the brain needs to shoot 75% fts as will have ball in closing minutes of tight games
Cooney can put this team on his shoulders and win or shot 2-16 and lose
GRob can rebound and dunk but can he hit or even take a open 10 ft shot? Fts too
BJ will he even be here?
Chibok not even ready for D 3
The rest are freshmen like a box of chocolates and finally
Will we even be able to go to a post season game? That's still up in air and the consequences of a second year ban might mean a new coach if some of the posters here are correct.

Sorry for the wet blanket but ?. Remain.

Gee hope your right but:
Coleman may not be ever ready to play certainly not a replacement for Rak
CMac is coming off a major injury and may not be up to speed till January 2016 how can he bulk up to play a Pf or car position?
KJ will be our only true point and he hasn't learned a hell of a lot this year especially on D
Silent G is showing how great he can be but does he have NBA on the brain needs to shoot 75% fts as will have ball in closing minutes of tight games
Cooney can put this team on his shoulders and win or shot 2-16 and lose
GRob can rebound and dunk but can he hit or even take a open 10 ft shot? Fts too
BJ will he even be here?
Chibok not even ready for D 3
The rest are freshmen like a box of chocolates and finally
Will we even be able to go to a post season game? That's still up in air and the consequences of a second year ban might mean a new coach if some of the posters here are correct.

Sorry for the wet blanket but ?. Remain.
That may be a viable take but are you so caught up in being a wet blanket that you assume McC cant/wont work on his upper body strength because of a knee injury? That would be a very pessimistic take. And an even more pessimistic take is stating CO not ready for D3. Hyperbole much?

You're consistently one of the more pessimistic posters on the board. There is nothing wrong with that, it is for your opinion. I'm not attacking you

But it's for that reason alone, it's a solid bet to take you on. I don't see this program missing the sweet 16 three years in a row.

We will have a lot of players next year, some very good proven ones, and others with an opportunity to step up. This year is different because we are down to seven options. College basketball does not relate one season to the next either. Just because you were good or bad last season, doesn't mean you won't be good or bad next season.

im pretty pessimistic usually as well, but I am with you on this one. We will be top 12 to start the year (assuming G comes back and McC stays)... and the sky is the limit. I have no doubt that if McC didnt get hurt, we would have seen G at the point a lot this year. I really think that down the stretch in games next year, we will have G/Cooney up top and Roberson/McC/Bryant down low. firepower.

Guys Cmac will be ready by October barring catastrophe.
And as tragic as the knee injury was, a potential blessing is that the whole time he can not do any running because of his knee rehab, he will be able to do upper body strengthening, which was his biggest weakness. You think a guy w time on his hands and the potential to be a lotto pick someday (making millions) might be motivated to bulk up his upper body a little? I hope so

Cusefan0307 said:
You're consistently one of the more pessimistic posters on the board. There is nothing wrong with that, it is for your opinion. I'm not attacking you But it's for that reason alone, it's a solid bet to take you on. I don't see this program missing the sweet 16 three years in a row. We will have a lot of players next year, some very good proven ones, and others with an opportunity to step up. This year is different because we are down to seven options. College basketball does not relate one season to the next either. Just because you were good or bad last season, doesn't mean you won't be good or bad next season.

And what have I been so pessimistic on that has been off base? I honestly don't view it as pessimistic. There are years I think we have had legit number one teams and it would be difficult to lose games, there are years where it's tough to call, and there are years where you can look at everything and make an educated prediction an make a statement saying we're not going to be a top 15 team. If you'd like to place a wager, count me in, problem is I've won every one I've placed on this site and have been paid up once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom