No second round guarantee for Tyus | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

No second round guarantee for Tyus

Still believe the only way he improves his stock is with an acc and national championship.

He should go.

He also has shown the ability to run the point which is one of the reasons he's higher than Tyus.
The problem is ... Huerter's a "3" with no "D". Frank and Tyus were begging for the ball when UM played us so they could drive by him at will. Not sure that bodes well for the NBA .. especially at guard ... unless he's going to be used as a rotation outside sniper like Steve Novak.

The problem is ... Huerter's a "3" with no "D". Frank and Tyus were begging for the ball when UM played us so they could drive by him at will. Not sure that bodes well for the NBA .. especially at a guard spot ... unless he's going to be used as a rotation outside scorer like Steve Novak.

Agreed -- but he can really shoot. Probably well enough to lean on that as the "one great skill" some teams look for in bench role players who aren't well rounded or are defensive liabilities.

I’d be curious to know the average career length and statistical production for 18th picks. I believe John Wallace was also picked 18th? Warrick went 19th.

If I had to guess, I would think Warrick exceeded the average career length and production for 19th picks, Wallace was probably about right on average(maybe his Toronto years bring him a little above average)?

There’s anomalies, but people that act like our late first round picks are disappointments probably arent correctly gauging the production of most late first round picks and instead are just hyper focused on our guys.

I agree with your point. Many do not understand that even MAKING it to the bigs is an accomplishment. Any career "accomplishments" beyond that are gravy, especially for guys that earn a second contract.

I think that many [most?] posters view our recent late first round picks as disappointments because they aren't guys who end up being contributors, and instead spend quite a bit of time in the G-League instead of on TV for our fans to watch / see their success. Or the perception that they don't have the long-term potential to stick, play, or get a second contract [a la Donte Greene, possibly Ennis, possibly Mali]. Or an expression of disillusionment with the process because we've had numerous, beloved players who were fringe NBA prospects [like Rak, Gbinije, CJ, Arinze, etc.] who've come really close, but didn't get more than a cup of coffee, if that.

Still believe the only way he improves his stock is with an acc and national championship.

He should go.
SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

The problem is ... Huerter's a "3" with no "D". Frank and Tyus were begging for the ball when UM played us so they could drive by him at will. Not sure that bodes well for the NBA .. especially at guard ... unless he's going to be used as a rotation outside sniper like Steve Novak.

Yeah but look at how cut he is!

He should go.

So improving his effiency, passing, and defense doesn’t improve his stock but winning a title does?

So improving his effiency, passing, and defense doesn’t improve his stock but winning a title does?
There will be younger, flashier players at his position. He’ll need to look like a dominant five tool leader to move up.

Donte DiVincenzo is officially remaining in the draft btw.
And he should. He's NBA material... played incredible in the title game. Couldn't be stopped driving and hit shots all over the court.

As far as Tyus I'm with RF. Staying versus leaving is a highly individualized choice. All these comparisons are meaningless because we don't know what his personal goals are (or what he's been told) and thus we have no way to compare his decision to other borderline NBA prospects. If his goal is to play for money, there's no issue - he goes no matter what. If his goal is the NBA but he still likes college (as his dad said) - then it's a closer call. In all likelihood, he's looking at the second round, possibly without a guarantee. If that's the scenario, I don't see how coming back would hurt him. All his weaknesses (playmaking, rebounding, outside shooting and efficiency) would likely improve - the team will be more balanced and experienced. He can show his stuff as a play maker because he won’t be the go-to guy on a poor offensive team (12th out of 14 in the ACC), stuck in iso as the shot clock expires. Instead, with more experience, other offensive options (besides Frank) and better movement this year, his efficiency and play making are likely to spike.

Last edited:
he's been a bust? 5 years in the nba and made $8M so far. that's hardly a bust. not everyone can be a star.
If that's all we're going by, then sure, not a bust.

There will be younger, flashier players at his position. He’ll need to look like a dominant five tool leader to move up.

Another thing to consider...if his stock isn’t great right now and isn’t likely to improve, do you look at how ready he is to contribute right away?

Sometimes these guys like Josh Hart for example - their draft stock was never going to be super high. In his case, he came into the league a pretty well rounded and mature(for a rookie) player that could contribute. Could he have contributed as a rookie like that if he came out after his sophomore year?

Lots of things to think about. Glad he’s doing his due diligence and seems to have good people around him that are helpful.

If that's all we're going by, then sure, not a bust.

What do you want to go by then?

The criteria should be playing in the NBA. I don’t think people understand the difficulty in sticking on a roster. Look at a guy like Anthony Bennett. Number 1 pick. Got like 1 more chance and he’s gone.
Everyone who ever played in an NBA or ABA game would fill the old Manley Field House to about half its capacity.

What do you want to go by then?
If you leave early and are the 18th pick in the draft, I think the bar should be higher than "Third-stringer on a bad team, but still getting a paycheck." He doesn't have to be a star player, but would you even say he's a good player at this point?

This is a tough call since in order to win a NC, he theoretically would have to have shown improvement in the areas mentioned.
Winning a title on the big stage would definitely be the bigger factor, IMO, because that result mitigates any negative subjectivity.
“He carried that team to a NC”, works better than, “His defense, passing, and efficiency have improved”.
Mali, Jonny, even Ennis were all drafted, arguably, due to in-game performances rather than subjective metrics. One man’s “his defense and shooting has improved”, is another man’s “he played in a system that highlighted his attributes, and covered his weaknesses”. The NC trump card mitigates some of that debate. JMHO

Ennis isn't a bust - but he's not a productive pick for the 18th overall selection in the draft
In fairness, this is going to come down to semantics. We're on the same page with the second half of your post...and just choose to label it differently.

Battle should absolutely go btw...

If he wants to play basketball for money.

If he wants to attend college, he should come back for another year.

That’s really the only decision here

Why the backlash on Bazley if this is so cut and dry?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom