Officiating tonight | Syracusefan.com

Officiating tonight

RF2044

Living Legend
Okay, we got the win. And I'm extremely excited about CJ's / Ennis's late game heroics.

But I've just watched the replay of the game for a second time, and now that I've seen it twice and had a chance to depressurize and soak things in without being in the heat of the game, I am simply stunned by what an atrocious job the refs did tonight.

Please note, having watched the game twice [with a much calmer eye the second time], this isn't just a post griping about how the refs were out to get us. But they were terrible tonight. Inexcusably bad / inconsistent / absurd in the way they allowed contact on one end of the floor, providing an advantage to the home team. It was ridiculous.

So much for the points of emphasis the NCAA communicated this past off-season. Tonight was pure slop house ball--a situation facilitated by incredibly poor officiating.

Despite all that, we still won. We came all the way back despite the disparate calls, and overcame a lot to secure tonight's win--but why were we subjected to such nonsense? What happened to cleaning up the game? Why do certain venues get a different set of rules in terms of how games are officiated than others? Because there really isn't an excuse [my opinion, I want to own this] for the hatchet job we were subjected to tonight from the refs on both ends of the court.

I'm just curious to see if others felt the same way about the zebras tonight, and what others make of how the game was officiated, to say nothing of what it means in terms of the refs either officiating to the intent of the rules changes or not.

Or if you think I'm off target, I welcome that feedback as well. I just don't think that's the case--and I don't see how anyone could make that claim with a straight face given what transpired in tonight's game. I played, and I know many others have played competitive hoops as well, so if I'm off target please share your thoughts and help me understand the mockery of officiating I witnessed tonight. For the record, there were also some bad calls that favored us -- but bad calls are bad calls.

Regardless, really proud of our kids tonight. Glad we pulled out the win... despite the officiating.

Last edited:
I'm just happy for the huge win on the road but except for the mystery fouls that were called, what was up with their moving picks just about every time they were on offense. Not only were they not setting proper picks but they were pushing our guys when they tried to get around the pick.

Agreed 100%. I thought BoDog sent the refs to Pittsburgh. They couldn't even prevent Ennis from covering, even though he got hacked and hand-checked the whole game.

Besides the obvious thrill of the buzzer-beater, that game is the equivalent of 5 wins for me. Feels that good to beat Pitt twice in a season and keep Dixon's mouth shut.

Okay, we got the win. And I'm extremely excited about CJ's / Ennis's late game heroics.

But I've just watched the replay of the game for a second time, and now that I've seen it twice and had a chance to depressurize and soak things in without being in the heat of the game, I am simply stunned by what an atrocious job the refs did tonight.

Please note, having watched the game twice [with a much calmer eye the second time], this isn't just a post griping about how the refs were out to get us. But they were terrible tonight. Inexcusably bad / inconsistent / advantaging the home team.

So much for the points of emphasis the NCAA communicated this past off-season.

I'm just curious to see if others felt the same way about the zebras tonight, and what others make of how the game was officiated and what it means in terms of the refs either officiating to the intent of the rules changes or not.
Short answer: yes. I hate complaints about refs but holy hell, that was one of the most poorly officiated games I've seen in a very, very long time. It was a joke.

There wasn't one moving pick called. After 40 minutes it's impossible to not call at least one.

They get calls because they play so aggressive. So many of our fouls were weak slaps in comparison.

I really thought it would get better in the ACC, but it's exactly the same.

There wasn't one moving pick called. After 40 minutes it's impossible to not call at least one.

They get calls because they play so aggressive. So many of our fouls were weak slaps in comparison.

There actually was one moving pick...and IT WAS ON RAK.
Laughable, horrendous.
The "charge" on Cooney where the Pitt dummy FELL ontop of him was special.

I just watched the Ennis drive and block call again...that really could've gone the other way. It was more a charge than Triche against Michigan.

I just watched the Ennis drive and block call again...that really could've gone the other way. It was more a charge than Triche against Michigan.
Agreed. It probably would have been a charge 7/10 times on the road. Be careful though, you might be persecuted for pointing that one out.

This was actually one of the better officiated games I'd seen us play against Pitt, which is disturbing.

This was actually one of the better officiated games I'd seen us play against Pitt, which is disturbing.
No doubt, that is disturbing ha. Epecially when it comes to officiating AT the Zoo

Think about this: if they weren't as bad as they were we get the steal, Zanna doesn't get those free throws on a cheap "foul" call, and Ennis doesn't happen

Tonight's officials- Brian Dorsey, Michael Stephens, Mike Eades

Stephens was not suppose to ref this game. Another official could not make it due to the weather. Matt Park said in the pregame that the ref that could not make is one that JB has praised as a good ref and that Stephens was not very well liked after some bad calls/questionable officiating in previous games this season. Also went on to say that Dixon made comments that Stephens was a very good ref.

As I watched the game, I said that if we lost I would only post that the reffing was absurd without giving any details. Now that we won, I will say that the reffing was absurd. That 28 footer was basketball justice.

Please note, having watched the game twice [with a much calmer eye the second time], this isn't just a post griping about how the refs were out to get us. But they were terrible tonight. Inexcusably bad / inconsistent / absurd in the way they allowed contact on one end of the floor, providing an advantage to the home team. It was ridiculous.

So much for the points of emphasis the NCAA communicated this past off-season. Tonight was pure slop house ball--a situation facilitated by incredibly poor officiating.

Despite all that, we still won. We came all the way back despite the disparate calls, and overcame a lot to secure tonight's win--but why were we subjected to such nonsense? What happened to cleaning up the game? Why do certain venues get a different set of rules in terms of how games are officiated than others? Because there really isn't an excuse [my opinion, I want to own this] for the hatchet job we were subjected to tonight from the refs on both ends of the court.

I'm just curious to see if others felt the same way about the zebras tonight, and what others make of how the game was officiated, to say nothing of what it means in terms of the refs either officiating to the intent of the rules changes or not.

Or if you think I'm off target, I welcome that feedback as well. I just don't think that's the case--and I don't see how anyone could make that claim with a straight face given what transpired in tonight's game.

Tonight's officials- Brian Dorsey, Michael Stephens, Mike Eades

Stephens was not suppose to ref this game. Another official could not make it due to the weather. Matt Park said in the pregame that the ref that could not make is one that JB has praised as a good ref and that Stephens was not very well liked after some bad calls/questionable officiating in previous games this season. Also went on to say that Dixon made comments that Stephens was a very good ref.

That figures [that Dixon would praise Stephens]. Too funny.

IMHO, he is the worst ref in college basketball this year--hands down, not even close.

Like I said in a previous thread, this is the second worst officiated game I've ever seen in my life. The only other was the Kings Lakers game 6 back in 2001 I believe. There were lots of talks about that game being fixed. The reason I'm comparing them is no matter what the Kings or Syracuse did the calls went against them. Both teams fought until the very end and kept the game close. Only difference is the refs won the Kings game against the Lakers. Refs couldn't stop this team tonight.

I know we all get caught up in our discussions and love this team, but I can honestly say that I was hugging strangers at the Change of Pace tonight. The national championship will always be my favorite Syracuse moment and I know that this was just a regular season game but this game symbolizes so much more than just this single game. This may not be the most dominate team we've ever had, it may not be the most talented team we've ever had, but this may be the most unbeatable team we've ever had. These guys do not have the word loss in their personal dictionaries and just will not let it happen no matter the circumstances.

We had every reason to lose tonight. The location, the injury, the refs, Pitts big playing a hell of a game among more but out boys refused no matter how hopeless things looked. The look on Ennis's and Cooney's face with about 30 seconds left and being down tells me everything I want to know about this team. They still had the cocky look on their faces like they knew we had this game won.

Bravo guys, you earned this game probably more than any Syracuse team I've ever seen play. Let's keep it going!!!!!

Last edited:
The Zanna push in the back on Fair after the whistle was a good one. No play on the ball whatsoever, and sent Fair flying into the cameras. In hockey that's called boarding. You should not be allowed to get away with plays that are penalties in hockey and football, yet Pitt somehow makes a living out of it.

Like I said in a previous thread, this is the second worst officiated game I've ever seen in my life. The only other was the Kings Lakers game 6 back in 2001 I believe. There were lots of talks about that game being fixed.

The reason I'm comparing them is no matter what the Kings or Syracuse did the calls went against them. Both teams fought until the very end and kept the game close. Only difference is the refs won the Kings game against the Lakers. Refs couldn't stop this team tonight.

I know we all get caught up in our discussions and love this team, but I can honestly say that I was hugging strangers at the Change of Pace tonight. The national championship will always be my favorite Syracuse moment and I know that this was just a regular season game but this game symbolizes so much more than just this single game. This may not be the most dominate team we've ever had, it may not be the most talented team we've ever had, but this may be the most unbeatable team we've ever had. These guys do not have the word loss in their personal dictionaries and just will not let it happen no matter the circumstances.

We had every reason to lose tonight. The location, the injury, the refs, Pitts big playing a hell of a game among more but out boys refused no matter how hopeless things looked.

The look on Ennis's and Cooney's face with about 30 seconds left and being down tells me everything I want to know about this team. They still had the cocky look on their faces like they knew we had this game one.

Bravo guys, you earned this game probably more than any Syracuse team I've ever seen play. Let's keep it going!!!!!

Great post!

I am really tired of hearing how they get the calls because they are so aggressive (not a slam on you Bayside but a slam on the lack of actual BB ability by Pitt). If its a foul call the damn foul. The point of emphasis this year was supposed to address that. Apparently tonight, one team was allowed to shove the other out of the way for rebounds while the other team got called for being in the area of a Pitt player shooting. Several replays showed the anticipation whistles with not little contact, but with absolutely no contact. Also many replays showed arms being hooked during shots and drives by SU and no call vs Pitt. What?

Especially loved the out of control run at Cooney, losing his balance and sliding under Cooney and tripping him. Result: foul on Cooney. That call should cause an honest man to quit the job. Embarrassing to have made that call.

The2-3PWN said:
This was supposed to be a big payday for the bookies. 72% of the money was on us. The partisan officiating was so blatant. It was almost as bad as the elite 8 game against Ohio st. Almost

The Ohio State game was really bad. The Cooney offensive foul is what put this one over the edge for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom