Officiating tonight | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Officiating tonight

To me, it seemed like we got the benefit on out of bounds calls. They got a gargantuan benefit on foul calls.

And I still believe that Duke got just as many calls that went their way as we did. We just got them in the closing moments. For example, Jabari fouled out on an iffy call, but he could have easily fouled out earlier if they had called him for an offensive foul when he actually swung his elbows and instead drew an And-1 from Keita.

I agree. I'm not trying (although it may seem that way, the way this post is worded) to turn this back into a "duke foul piss match". I'm just saying, some huge (some 50/50) calls went in our favor in that game when it mattered most. The worst calls in this Pitt game were some of the and 1's when nobody touched the pitt player.

Complaining about the officiating in this game is really funny to me after some of the calls that went our way in the Duke game. I completely agree the officiating was awful for a good part of the game last night (Cooney's charge, lack of calls on our drives to the hoop, phantom and 1's on anticipation fouls, etc), but we also got some calls too. A few times the ball was blatantly off us and we got it. It was pretty bad both ways, it just seemed like we were getting the short end of the stick due to style of play.

Take the win and run. Zanna could teach Fair and Grant a thing or two about physicality.

You completely miss the point. It's not about which team gets more calls or doesn't get them, it's about the officiating in TOTAL and its impact on the game.

Bad calls are bad calls, regardless of which team is advantaged. And last night's game was chock full of bad calls against BOTH teams.

Set aside the "calls that went our way" sentiment and try to look at it big picture--because when you do that, it is intolerable that teams would be subjected to such a horrendous effort on the parts of the officiating crew. What's the point of even having refs if they blatantly don't enforce the rules and make bad calls impacting both teams all game?

because it was...

No doubt but I tend to drink and get emotional watching the games live. I have watched the next day and often said to myself yep the refs made 4 or 5 really bad calls but we also got the benefit 4 or 5 times and truthfully it wasn't that bad. After rewatching this one it was one of the worst I have ever seen. I'm convinced in a fairly called game on both ends we are 10pts better than them easily.

Equally? After 3 viewings, it gets worse with each one.

I'm with you, bees--I watched the game three times. The latter two weren't in the heat of the moment while the game is going on / hypercharged emotional state. And if I went through and made a list of all of the absurd calls, it would be a ridiculously long list.

It has nothing to do with the refs making a questionable call or two. Anomalies happen, its a faced paced game, and human error is a factor. Mistakes are part of the game.

But this isn't griping about not getting a call or two. This was a consistent pattern of god awful officiating from opening tap until the very end of the game. This crew deserves even MORE criticism than they've received on this forum for their efforts last night. It was a joke.

And BTW, we got the win, so I feel completely vindicated saying that and not making these posts as a function of disappointment after a loss.

What amazed me was the calls were not difficult to make. Cooney was tripped clear as day. The worst I thought late was when ennis attacked the rim and missed a layup and on the replay his arm was hit 3 times and no call. It was big because pitt got a bucket on the other end I believe. I disagree that the ennis drive against robinson was close. He continued to move and never established position and got set. Thats an easy call and a block 9 out of 10 times. The triche call was a charge 10 x vs that play.

How about that rebound on the defensive end and Patterson hacked him across the arm to get the ball back? Geez, I was livid on that one.

Complaining about the officiating in this game is really funny to me after some of the calls that went our way in the Duke game. I completely agree the officiating was awful for a good part of the game last night (Cooney's charge, lack of calls on our drives to the hoop, phantom and 1's on anticipation fouls, etc), but we also got some calls too. A few times the ball was blatantly off us and we got it. It was pretty bad both ways, it just seemed like we were getting the short end of the stick due to style of play.

Take the win and run. Zanna could teach Fair and Grant a thing or two about physicality.
It certainly looked like the ball could have went off of a Cuse player on the out of bounds calls. But how are you so sure when neither garnered an up close replay? On both plays a ref was standing a few feet from the play. Not saying they couldn't have made a mistake, especially considering their incompetence throughout the game, but the majority of calls that went against Syracuse were shown on replay to be just as egregious. This game was about as one-sided as you'll ever see in basketball game, even with those two plays went our way.

Stephens is a Providence native and a Big East ref , so it's not too hard to see who's behind trying to ruin Beohiem's dream season.

I just watched the Ennis drive and block call again...that really could've gone the other way. It was more a charge than Triche against Michigan.
I disagree. The defender was never set and he moved into Ennis after he went in the air. The call on Triche was not a charge either.

My favorite ref moment was when they called it out of bounds off us or a foul on us (cant remember) and then some Pitt dude came flying in like Goldberg and speared our guy in the back.

Hey everyone. Just joined so this is my first post. I thought the officiating was very poor--phantom fouls on CJ, Ennis, even Rak on that moving screen. And where was the offensive foul on Cooney? That was ridiculous.

I am also on a Duke forum and, boy, they hate us already! LOL They think they got totally hosed by the refs.

You completely miss the point. It's not about which team gets more calls or doesn't get them, it's about the officiating in TOTAL and its impact on the game.

Bad calls are bad calls, regardless of which team is advantaged. And last night's game was chock full of bad calls against BOTH teams.

Set aside the "calls that went our way" sentiment and try to look at it big picture--because when you do that, it is intolerable that teams would be subjected to such a horrendous effort on the parts of the officiating crew. What's the point of even having refs if they blatantly don't enforce the rules and make bad calls impacting both teams all game?

Oh no, I got the point. The officiating was awful. I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom