Officiating tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Officiating tonight

I'll have to watch again but it seemed rediculously one sided to me.

What amazed me was the calls were not difficult to make. Cooney was tripped clear as day. The worst I thought late was when ennis attacked the rim and missed a layup and on the replay his arm was hit 3 times and no call. It was big because pitt got a bucket on the other end I believe. I disagree that the ennis drive against robinson was close. He continued to move and never established position and got set. Thats an easy call and a block 9 out of 10 times. The triche call was a charge 10 x vs that play.

I just watched the Ennis drive and block call again...that really could've gone the other way. It was more a charge than Triche against Michigan.
Agreed. It probably would have been a charge 7/10 times on the road. Be careful though, you might be persecuted for pointing that one out.

No way - maybe a no-call 8/10 times on the road. That never gets called a charge even though I agree it should be more of a charge than Triche vs Michigan..
Which btw is a horrible indictment on refs in general...Morgan the 6'10" guy sliding under the driver like a coward gets rewarded but a Guard just holding his ground with his arms up has to hope for a no-call.
Basketball refs, gotta love 'em!

I just watched the Ennis drive and block call again...that really could've gone the other way. It was more a charge than Triche against Michigan.

Not sure if you are referring to the play at the end of the game, where Ennis got fouled. If so, I completely disagree. The primary defender was moving all the way and slid under him. No way that is even close to being a charge.

At the 5:50 mark when Stephens reversed the out of bounds call, at the end of the sequence he puts his arm in frnt of JB and tells him to move back. JB was a foot away from the court. I find it hilarious as we all know Dixon could be listed in the box score for 10 minutes played. The guy is always on the court.

A play that many forgotten that was atrocious was one where we were down by two, ennis had the ball..drove down the lane...his forearm was clearly karate chopped as he left the ground ...and his shot was then partially blocked...pitt gets a run out breakaway and they are up four...four point swing...i couldnt believe it when i saw the replay after the ticky tack crap called vs us

I've come to ignore any potential moving screen. We're never getting that call so I don't bother complaining about it anymore. Could be called on any possession, but apparently it never will be.

I'm just ticked that Pitt committed hip check after hip check with no calls, while we were getting called for being close to them.

A play that many forgotten that was atrocious was one where we were down by two, ennis had the ball..drove down the lane...his forearm was clearly karate chopped as he left the ground ...and his shot was then partially blocked...pitt gets a run out breakaway and they are up four...four point swing...i couldnt believe it when i saw the replay after the ticky tack crap called vs us

Yeah this is exactly the play I was referencing in my post above.. absolutely awful.

Pitt beat up Ennis when they were on offense. Every pitt player that came within an arms reach of Tyler, put a hand on his back or pushed off with a forearm, looked like they were told to do it in an attempt to wear him down. Not really fouls but never seen a team on offense put so many hands on a defender.

Don't forget about the bogus foul call on Grant when he got all ball near the end of the 1st half. Stephens is horrible and the others left lots to be desired tonight as well.

BludOrange said:
At the 5:50 mark when Stephens reversed the out of bounds call, at the end of the sequence he puts his arm in frnt of JB and tells him to move back. JB was a foot away from the court. I find it hilarious as we all know Dixon could be listed in the box score for 10 minutes played. The guy is always on the court.

After a lengthy discussion you can clearly see JB tell him "f&$k you" as he was walking away

Not sure if you are referring to the play at the end of the game, where Ennis got fouled. If so, I completely disagree. The primary defender was moving all the way and slid under him. No way that is even close to being a charge.

That call has gone to the "defender" many times...make that Shane Battier and Duke instead of some thug from Pitt and who knows...

A side benefit to winning is that I can say without hesitation, without prejudice, and without whining, that that was an old fashion screw job by the refs. They missed a few against us but it was another game the refs let go right in the toilet and allowed Pitt to commit assault.

The NCAA needs to do something about Stephens.

There actually was one moving pick...and IT WAS ON RAK.
Laughable, horrendous.
The "charge" on Cooney where the Pitt dummy FELL ontop of him was special.
It doesn't matter if it's the wrong call...it only mattered that it gave Michael Stevens the opportunity to make the big "TV Teddy" type call. He is, without question, the worst ref in the ACC and that's saying something since Kommondant Karl Hess also works the league.

i saw a couple of balls that appeared to go off us and we were rewarded with possession. other than that it's as if there were two totally different sets of rules in place underneath the hoop. pitt got away with bloody murder and we were whistled for sneezing when they crashed the boards.

I saw it the way you did, RF. My conclusion was that the refs had to be on the take. "Disparate" says it all.

The most frustrating things for me to watch are constant moving screens and all the holds off the ball. Cooney couldn't open most of the game because he wasn't being pulled, tugged, and held. Grant was a smacked around like a rag doll under the hoop. Just hard to watch.

P.S. - Can someone grab a rebound on defense?

The things that really separated the officiating last night were the almost reversed charge call when Grant was literally run over and the phantom offensive foul on Cooney. If they had reversed that Pittsburgh charge, I seriously would have lost my mind. I rarely feel like officiating is the deciding factor in a game, but had we wound up losing this game, it certainly would have been one of the primary factors. Not lost to me in all of this was Doris Burke's agreement with every call on either end of the court regardless of egregiousness. Don't normally hate on her but she was killing me last night.

Entropic said:
P.S. - Can someone grab a rebound on defense?

It is frustrating sometimes. The worst was on that air ball at the end of the shot clock where the Pitt big man just caught it and laid it in. Replay shows Grant just standing there and watching. Never went for the ball and never moved even though he was a few feet away. A short time later there was a timeout and they panned the SU bench. JB was giving Grant an earful. I'm sure it was due to that lack of effort.

I normally don't complain about the officiating as I think it evens out, we get calls we dont' get calls. But last night's game was as bad as I've ever seen.

I think Robinson (pretty sure it was him) was there well before Ennis got there, but he sort of leaned out of the way as if he was scared to take a charge. I thought it was going to be an easy charge call and that kid just blew it, and then his teammate hacked Ennis at the last second.

Matt Park actually reported that Stephens twice came over to Boeheim to apologize for bad calls- one right after halftime regarding the belated call on Grant at the end of the first half and again after the flop that got the offensive call on Cooney in the second half. Assuming Park was serious, that is something I never heard of. A ref apologizing for what he knew was a bad call during the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom