OT: Mixon video. Wow... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Mixon video. Wow...

Totally agree. People, generally, are becoming increasingly whacked out.

Disagree. Violent crime is down across the board in this country. The US was a much, much more violent place a generation ago. It's just that we didn't have social media and cell phones before to make things like this go viral.

Could you imagine if there were camera phones to capture the things that Jim Brown did?

just because you hit weak doesnt make it any less of a crime.

It absolutely makes it less of a crime. If you're punching someone because you're truly defending yourself, it's not a crime. That wasn't the case here. She didn't have the ability to cause him any physical harm. He should have restrained her, or walked away. Now, if she was coming at him with a knife or a gun, then yes, the punch probably would have been appropriate. It's about defending yourself in a proportional way based on the circumstances. He wildly overreacted and should be severely punished.

He broke a woman's face. What happened to him? My point in instigation is that what does it really matter? Imagine if he got asked about his role and he came out and said "Hey she hit me first" ... He broke 4 bones in her face. Her jaw was wired shut for months. Simply walk away. Walk away. 1000 times you walk away. Put your hands on a woman and you are ALWAYS in the wrong.
We don't disagree on Mixon. Agree to disagree that "only" Mixon is to blame.

We don't disagree on Mixon. Agree to disagree that "only" Mixon is to blame.

Yeah I know - but when it's a woman getting knocked out by a man (or in this case a very athletic/strong man) I really don't pay attention to the reasons why. It's just a sad defense for him.

He got suspended for a year, charged with a misdemeanor, put on probation, did community service and counseling. She was the initial physical aggressor and I don't believe was punished by the courts in any way. Her physical punishment was brutal but I also agree that you shouldn't put your hands on another person and if she did not do so then this story doesn't exist. Not defending his actions by any means as they were completely inexplicable and disgusting. His punishment seems reasonable to me. He wasn't shown any favoritism because of his status as an athlete as far as I can tell and I am fine with him continuing his career as any other person would likely be able to do so. If put in the same situation today, I would certainly expect him to react in a different manner and that is what the point of the justice system is.

He wasn't shown any favoritism because of his status as an athlete as far as I can tell
No favoritism, really?

Any other student would've been expelled.
Any other student receiving a scholarship from that school would've lost that scholarship.

Yup, 0U treated him like any other student. No,favoritism at all...

No favoritism, really?

Any other student would've been expelled.
Any other student receiving a scholarship from that school would've lost that scholarship.

Yup, 0U treated him like any other student. No,favoritism at all...

Alright you got me. Lets see your imaginary statistics about the likelihood of the average student getting expelled for an off campus fight and compare it to his punishment.

Disagree. Violent crime is down across the board in this country. The US was a much, much more violent place a generation ago. It's just that we didn't have social media and cell phones before to make things like this go viral.

Could you imagine if there were camera phones to capture the things that Jim Brown did?
Is it that violent crime is down, or is it more a case of reporting methodology?

He got suspended for a year, charged with a misdemeanor, put on probation, did community service and counseling. She was the initial physical aggressor and I don't believe was punished by the courts in any way. Her physical punishment was brutal but I also agree that you shouldn't put your hands on another person and if she did not do so then this story doesn't exist. Not defending his actions by any means as they were completely inexplicable and disgusting. His punishment seems reasonable to me. He wasn't shown any favoritism because of his status as an athlete as far as I can tell and I am fine with him continuing his career as any other person would likely be able to do so. If put in the same situation today, I would certainly expect him to react in a different manner and that is what the point of the justice system is.
Not reasonable, at all. Actually, I think it's bullsht.

He got suspended for a year
He was suspended from the team for less than 6 months. Back well in time for Spring ball.

He's a f#$k-ton more to blame than the woman. Unless she had just whacked his nuts off with a rusty set of hedge clippers.
Not sure why some here refuse to have a rational discussion about this. Why does it have to be black and white?

Nobody...NOBODY here has said Mixon was justified. Nobody has said he shouldn't be punished.

Why can't I say she deserves some blame as well?

If a scrawny white dude, allegedly called Mixon a n***a, shoved him and swung on him, then got knocked out? Well... I'd say he sure as hell deserves some blame. Why doesn't she?.. Bc she's a woman?

Not reasonable, at all. Actually, I think it's bullsht.

So in your mind, his life should just end because of one mistake that happened at 230am when he reacted terribly to a person (a woman) that initiated a physical confrontation with him. I just believe that its all garbage and the bottom line is don't touch anyone else and if you choose to do so then you better be prepared for the consequences whether you are a man or woman. See this crap constantly where women think they have immunity to just be as physically violent as they wish to be with each other and with men without considering any type of consequence. We obviously have to be held to a higher standard as we can inflict 100x the damage in 1 second but my god, people need to be held accountable to some extent for their actions and barring the horror that occurred in this instance, this woman would not have received any punishment for her actions and would not be any less likely to physically go after another individual the next time she wished.

Some people just have a different mindset and that's fine but I can differentiate right from wrong and understand that consequences come from my actions. If I choose to go after someone physically then I need to accept what occurs thereafter.

Not sure why some here refuse to have a rational discussion about this. Why does it have to be black and white?

Nobody...NOBODY here has said Mixon was justified. Nobody has said he shouldn't be punished.

If a scrawny white dude, allegedly called Mixon a n***a, shoved him and swung on him, then got knocked out? Well... I'd say he sure as hell deserves some blame. Why doesn't she?.. Bc she's a woman?

It literally is black and white & man and woman and that's all some will allow themselves to see.

He was suspended from the team for less than 6 months. Back well in time for Spring ball.

Ha, ok. Got me again, guess I should've used the word "season" instead of "year". Assumed that most would get that but I forgot this is an internet message board, the place where everyone is positioned way up on their high horse.

My 2 year old hit me in the face with a Hot Wheels car yesterday during a tantrum because he was horribly overtired. He was really really making me mad, but I wasn't in any physical danger. So instead of punching him in the face, I took control of the situation, scooped him up and put him in timeout.

If I had punched him in the face, it wouldn't change the fact that he was misbehaving, but his misbehavior would pale in comparison so much to my abuse that it wouldn't even be worth discussing. Similar to this girls actions.

He's a f#$k-ton more to blame than the woman. Unless she had just whacked his nuts off with a rusty set of hedge clippers.

What about if she just clipped one nut with a pair of pristine scissors? Is that okay? At what point does it become your description/physical enough to warrant retaliation?

asking for a friend.

My 2 year old hit me in the face with a Hot Wheels car yesterday during a tantrum because he was horribly overtired. He was really really making me mad, but I wasn't in any physical danger. So instead of punching him in the face, I took control of the situation, scooped him up and put him in timeout.

If I had punched him in the face, it wouldn't change the fact that he was misbehaving, but his misbehavior would pale in comparison so much to my abuse that it wouldn't even be worth discussing. Similar to this girls actions.
Ok.. So back to my other post. If it was a 100 pound scrawny hipster guy in her place. He deserves no blame because he's overmatched?

Guess that comparing a 2 year olds actions to a grown ass adult woman's is a great way to rationalize it.

My only comment on blame is: What is wrong with her? She could win a civil suit against him and pick up some cash but might not live long enough to spend if she goes around hitting huge men like that.

My only comment on blame is: What is wrong with her? She could win a civil suit against him and pick up some cash but might not live long enough to spend if she goes around hitting huge men like that.
Seems like a solid business model. Provoke big dudes. See if they snap. Cha-Ching.

Ok.. So back to my other post. If it was a 100 pound scrawny hipster guy in her place. He deserves no blame because he's overmatched?

If it was a 100 lb man (aka nowhere close to having the physical strength of the football player), I would have the same judgment.

If you're a man and you put your hands on another man then you know exactly what you're getting into.

A woman shouldn't have to worry (yet I know they need to) about a man putting his hands on her. Did Mixon REALLY think he HAD to punch her lights out? Or could he have walked away.

Just to be clear - he is not completely at fault? C'mon man. You know he should have walked away.

If you're a man and you put your hands on another man then you know exactly what you're getting into.

A woman shouldn't have to worry (yet I know they need to) about a man putting his hands on her. Did Mixon REALLY think he HAD to punch her lights out? Or could he have walked away.

Just to be clear - he is not completely at fault? C'mon man. You know he should have walked away.

Everyone knows that he should've walked away and I'm sure that he does too, no one on this board has stated even in jest that he should've done anything but walk away. He didn't, this occurred and he was punished. The debate is more so on whether or not she holds any responsibility for what occurred to her due to her being a woman and for initiating the physical part of the incident. Some think that as a woman that she has free reign to assault any man that she so wishes without consequences, I for one do not. Obviously this outcome is completely bonkers and no one in the world is going to see that and think it was ok.

You're not answering anyone's question and just keep repeating what we all agree with you on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom