OT-Richard Sherman=classless punk | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT-Richard Sherman=classless punk

All athletes are self promoting, that's how they make money.

All athletes are self promoting, that's how they make money.

Agreed. I knew what Sherman was doing all along. This is his "act". He wants to be Deion Sanders and have a long career after football in commentary. Success. He won. Now everyone knows who he is and networks will be fighting for him once he retires.

I don't have an issue if you want to call him a punk, classless, a self promoting tool, etc

I do have a problem questioning his intelligence or labeling him a thug or worse (which wasn't done here, but just go on twitter. Pretty easy to find.)

Intelligence is not simply academic. If a PHD who is a senior vp walks into a meeting and goes off like sherman im questioning his intellect. Having it and using it generally go hand in hand. Therefore he deserves the ridicule for his actions. Just because he plays a physical sport does not mean its ok to lack respect and act like a punk. In fact it makes it worse in that he should know where woofing and being professional belong.

And I have seen execs go off like that.. and get sent with their shiny parachute to go do it at the country club vs the board room

Intelligence is not simply academic. If a PHD who is a senior vp walks into a meeting and goes off like sherman im questioning his intellect. Having it and using it generally go hand in hand. Therefore he deserves the ridicule for his actions. Just because he plays a physical sport does not mean its ok to lack respect and act like a punk. In fact it makes it worse in that he should know where woofing and being professional belong.

Uh huh

Remember when Tom Brady did this and everyone called him stupid?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/19/tom-brady-cursing-ref-patriots_n_4299884.html

Me either

Yeah because that is the total equivalent of what sherman did.

You're right, it's worse. Yelling curse words in the face of an official. I don't remember seeing any "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN" posts then

You're right, it's worse. Yelling curse words in the face of an official. I don't remember seeing any "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN" posts then

look.. I dont condone insulting someones intelligence for the sake of it because you don't like them. But what good comes from telling your kids that what sherman did is no big deal and part of sports? You don't think a teenager would replicate that kind of action? Swearing at a ref has been around for a long time and is deplorable in its own right. Sherman made an ass of himself and acted like a disrespectful punk. He deserves every ounce of criticism. He dished out enough disrespect of his own to cover what he gets back. Be angry at the media for putting him on that stage not the people getting on him about it.

I'm thinking a post game drug test on that gentleman might be in order

Why? Because he was hyped up after making the play that sent his team to the Super Bowl. What a joke.

Why is anyone surprised that a player who has proven to be brash in the past acted brashly again?

He's not exactly the first football player to do or say anything stupid. Do you have to like it? Of course not. But to act like it's the worst thing to ever happen to the sport is laughable.

He was confident in his abilities as a football player and backed it up.

Why is anyone surprised that a player who has proven to be brash in the past acted brashly again?

He's not exactly the first football player to do or say anything stupid. Do you have to like it? Of course not. But to act like it's the worst thing to ever happen to the sport is laughable.

Just as it makes little sense to get upset over how people jump on him for his actions. It was in the moment stupidity and disrespectful. That is all I have heard ppl say. Its far from a crime and shouldnt be seen as such.

Those who think his actions are ok and part of the game are entitled to that opinion. Yet as a society we often now tend to isolate things like this and chalk it up with an excuse. The problem is that we seem to take that approach to everything. We isolate every incident, toss it aside and wait for the next one rinse wash repeat. Then when a trend forms and sever issues arise we over react and treat like its some epidemic. We scream at politicians for doing this and yet it is an every day thing we do as a society. I am glad people still take time to call it for what it is vs chalking it up to some sports stereotype thus adding greater tolerance to this kind of thing. It is that exact way of thinking that makes it impossible for parents to discipline without fear of legal implications. At least sherman explained himself to an extent. I will give him that. Otherwise it is just stupidity from a person whose intellectual capital far exceeds what he portrayed.

Where does woofing belong if not on the football field after a super emotional ending to a great game? It doesn't belong at home. It doesn't belong at the club. It doesn't belong on an airplane. Between the lines, who the heck cares?

I havent seen any outrage ... opinions yes but outrage..no

Most of this thread is ridiculous.

He's a classless punk.
I hope kids weren't watching.
He's always been classless.
Time for a random drug test.
He couldn't have gotten into Stanford unless admission standards were relaxed.
He needs to be in a circus cage.
He's an assclown/asshat/self-promoting tool.
He's not a good winner.

The reactions are worse than his interview. Some of it racist nonsense. I saw a football player calling out another football player two minutes after the biggest play of his career. The interview was engaging and hilarious. All of the "how shocking/he doesn't know how to act" stuff is a bunch of judgemental BS.

Where does woofing belong if not on the football field after a super emotional ending to a great game? It doesn't belong at home. It doesn't belong at the club. It doesn't belong on an airplane. Between the lines, who the heck cares?

During the game on the field sure. Off the field it has no place on camera multiple times. The media deserves some blame as well knowing how Sherman is.

He's a classless punk.
He couldn't have gotten into Stanford unless admission standards were relaxed.
He needs to be in a circus cage.
He's an assclown/asshat/self-promoting tool.
He's not a good winner.

The reactions are worse than his interview. Some of it racist nonsense. I saw a football player calling out another football player two minutes after the biggest play of his career. The interview was engaging and hilarious. All of the "how shocking/he doesn't know how to act" stuff is a bunch of judgemental BS.

Racist? And some of those opinions are warranted. I will grant you a couple are extreme but if you are going to act that way in front of millions that stuff is deserved. Or wait. Tell him that wasn't very nice and give him a pat on the back for a good game. Neither will change his tone.. but acting like its all good and all part of the game in defense of him.. come on. Dude is a grown man and should take responsibility for how he conducts himself.

I guess it boils down to whether you believe the standards of behavior in business meetings ought to apply to football fields.

Absolutely. Kids shouldn't aspire to be have a 4.2 GPA , graduate from Stanford and then be one of the best cover corners in the NFL. :noidea:

It's too bad he has all that ability and still isn't happy. If at probably one of the happiest moments in his life, this is his way of enjoying it, it's pretty sad. It's like a guy marching down the aisle at his wedding and halfway down the aisle starts ranting about how his old girlfriend didn't think he was good enough. Sad.

He's a classless punk.

Ironic end to your post:)

Many of you are celebrating someone who is afraid, scared and not in control of his emotions.

Chuck Bednarik once said that when he gave people hard hits or dirty hits, they tended to come up frothing at the mouth, ranting like crazy people. Bednarik said that The Great Jim Brown was different because he would "get up slowly, kind of look at you and say hi" and then keep on coming. I think Sherman was scared. I think he had a lot of nervous energy. Crabtree was behind him, and the leaping tip had a razor thin margin between a Seahawk interception and Niner TD. If you are as good as The Great Jim Brown, you don't really get agitated because you already know you are superior to everyone else. When a guy was making a lot of noise like Sherman, I take that to mean his adrenaline was up. So far up that he was wild a good minute or two after the game was over.

Ray Lewis was always wild before the game but calm during contests and almost religious immediately afterward. Didn't matter how high the stakes. In other words, Ray Lewis was happy after the game. Sherman was not happy. If I were Peyton Manning, I would go after him.

There are some people who would have the same issues with Sherman's behavior if he was white, and not surprisingly they don't appreciate being lumped in with racists. I can't blame them, but those people should also be mindful that this episode has, in fact, brought racists out of the woodwork.

cmr27 said:
Many of you are celebrating someone who is afraid, scared and not in control of his emotions.

Chuck Bednarik once said that when he gave people hard hits or dirty hits, they tended to come up frothing at the mouth, ranting like crazy people. Bednarik said that The Great Jim Brown was different because he would "get up slowly, kind of look at you and say hi" and then keep on coming. I think Sherman was scared. I think he had a lot of nervous energy. Crabtree was behind him, and the leaping tip had a razor thin margin between a Seahawk interception and Niner TD. If you are as good as The Great Jim Brown, you don't really get agitated because you already know you are superior to everyone else. When a guy was making a lot of noise like Sherman, I take that to mean his adrenaline was up. So far up that he was wild a good minute or two after the game was over.

Ray Lewis was always wild before the game but calm during contests and almost religious immediately afterward. Didn't matter how high the stakes. In other words, Ray Lewis was happy after the game. Sherman was not happy. If I were Peyton Manning, I would go after him.

If Sherman is ever involved in a murder that's the only time he should be compared to Ray Lewis. He is objectively the best corner in the NFL. I hope Manning goes after him.

Harbaugh acts like an idiot. They show him on the sideline jumping up and down and and shaking his arms, but no one really criticizes him. Belichick calls out Wes Weller and claims he purposely took out Talib.

There may be a disapproving article or commentary here and there about Harbaugh and Belichick's antics, but none of the sanctimonious BS laced with racial undertones that you get on social media and other columnists. Deadspin has a pretty great piece on this phenomenon today.

http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman-and-the-plight-of-the-conquering-negro-1505060117

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom