Outdoor Stadium | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Outdoor Stadium

Yikes. You're really sticking your neck out here in front of this hostile bunch. Very brave. :) While it may be a moot point like some have mentioned, i firmly believe if possible, it would actually bolster attendance and recruiting. With a program that is so down, who wants to go inside on glorius fall weekend afternoons? Contrary to what many believe, the weather is decent to very good for the vast majority of home games.

I’m curious how you came to that conclusion - any relevant data you can cite?

Because at first glance, that looks like a statement which could be in the running for the most bat-crap crazy thing ever posted on this board.

People won’t come to see Syracuse play Colgate or Army in the Dome in September, but would if we just played outside? Friggin’ insane…

Looking through info on grass fields for indoor stadiums, there’s efforts for short term implementation for the World Cup going on now. Minnesota has looked at the potential to install a grass field in US Bank Stadium, and estimated it would be about 4-5 million in additional costs (although there’s logistical concerns beyond the estimated costs).

I could see at some point an NFL stadium trying this, getting the kinks worked out, and Syracuse installing a grass field 10-20 years down the road. That would address concerns about injuries and negative impacts to recruiting. That’s really the one legitimate point in favor of an outdoor stadium - the ability to have a grass field. Everything else - like it’ll help attendance - is just nonsense.

Yeah. Change is never a good idea. After all over the past 20 years the dome definitely seems to be working well for recruiting and overall program succes.
I think the problem isn't the Dome but rather is the coaching and lack of commitment by the Chancellor and the Board to the program. BTW, when it was clear, in I believe the 1970s, that Archbold had to be replaced I recall that the biggest issue was where to build the replacement. I recall 3 sites being mentioned: Skytop, the fields around E. Colvin St & the southern end of Meadowbrook Drive (the neighborhood opposed it), and the NYS State Fair Grounds. I believe the most prominently mentioned was the State Fair. But the concern was if it were that far from campus how would the students get there and would they even go. That's the problem the University of Miami has playing in Hard Rock Stadium many miles away from campus. They don't get great student support. Given SU built the replacement right on campus in the same footprint of the old Stadium with very limited or NO parking available, the Dome has been incredibly successful. I recall the very biggest question before the first game (in 1980 I believe against Miami (Ohio)) was would the fans be willing to park at Skytop and shuttle bus to the main campus. They were and are. Consider the disaster it would have been had they not been.

Just wanted to resurrect a discussion for my benefit of getting opinions on the topic. From my high level view, I have favored an outdoor football facility. I think the dome artificial turf has been a source of increased injuries and has also been used against Syracuse by negative recruiting. The weather is not as bad as some will try to make it out to be. In fact our autumn's are warmer now and some of the nicest weather of the year. I think a new outdoor stadium seating 40 to 45k would make recruiting a bit easier.
I think you need to reconsider your position on the stadium

Um, When did I mention that someone called me a name..? Yikes!
Because your old school im guessing that BT stands for Bachmam Turner overdrive.

I am unfortunately old enough to have attended a number of games at Archbold, all in my teens.

The first one I attended was a beautiful fall game. It was sunny, it was warm, it was wonderful. I suspect if I had chosen one of the games I later attended, I might not have become a die hard fan.

One of the next games I attended, the weather was not as nice. It was a cold overcast day. It poured the whole game. Archbold may or may not have been engineered to drain heavy rains away from spectators. Since it was one of the first true football stadiums, I doubt this was a consideration. If there were provisions to steer the water to places avoid from where the fans sat, they had apparently decayed or been removed.

What I do know is by 1972, when it rained at a game at Archbold, the water formed rivers that ran from the top of the stadium to the track below. My seat was in the middle of a river of really cold water that rode through the buttock area of my pants and made me question why I wanted to live. Some of it went down my pant legs and streamed into my shoes as frigid tributaries.

Eventually some fans not far from me got disgusted and left and I moved over a few seats. And shivered uncontrollably the rest of the game.

Another game at Archbold was played late in the season,. It started to snow out of nowhere, like we see in CNY all the time in the winter. And it kept snowing.

The game was close and I was wrapped up in it when I finally moved a bit. Big crushing sound as a large amount of snow and ice that had formed on my lap and my coat broke off and fell to the ground. That day was the first time I experienced ice forming on my eyebrows. That was disturbing and my and my friends had a good laugh looking at each other with our new looks. Then the snowflakes started freezing after landing our our eye lashes. That is pretty scary when that happens to you.

Anyway, my memories of watching football outdoors in Syracuse are not so great. I can live with watching games in a dome a while longer.
Thats because you have a good memory:)

There was a lot of concern - including from JB - that the Dome was so big it was going to be like playing in an empty gym. Didn't remotely turn out that way.
Jim still has a blackberry

Way back in the dark ages I played trumpet in the old stadium. Nothng like trying to march and play your horn when your trumpet valves freeze and your feet slip on the snow!!!!
So I think the dome is unique to college football and with the updating is a real plus for SU!
Greg "66"
I was in the SU Marching Band in Archbold, so we were on that field. I remember there was one season that every single game the field was muddy - even on some game days it wasn't raining, the field was still mud. Maybe someone here remembers the time we quick stepped out onto the field and my plant foot just went out from under me on the slick mud and I landed on my back. :)

I attended every home game, including the WV game the day after Thanksgiving in a 35-degree downpour. The concrete stadium became a waterfalls cascading down each seating level. Very, very few people attended those games. BTW, we never played at night in those days, unlike with the TV schedules we have now.

Yes, there are some glorious days in September, but season attendance would plummet at SU with an outdoor stadium. BC plays outdoors; did you notice the attendance they got last year for our night game in November? Or in 2016, when Dungey started the fight; it was cold and raw and raining. Barely anyone there for those games. They have a turf field, because it would be a muddy quagmire otherwise.

Arizona uses real grass in their dome. Retractable roof, but there is a system for the grass to go outside and back in. We don't have the space for that.

Just wanted to resurrect a discussion for my benefit of getting opinions on the topic. From my high level view, I have favored an outdoor football facility. I think the dome artificial turf has been a source of increased injuries and has also been used against Syracuse by negative recruiting. The weather is not as bad as some will try to make it out to be. In fact our autumn's are warmer now and some of the nicest weather of the year. I think a new outdoor stadium seating 40 to 45k would make recruiting a bit easier.
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

It continues to boggle my mind how we are one of a handful of teams playing inside, and we’ve had decades of inept offense and qbs

Arizona uses real grass in their dome. Retractable roof, but there is a system for the grass to go outside and back in. We don't have the space for that.

When they built US Bank Stadium in Minnesota, apparently looked at that option. It got ruled out due to potentially inadequate winter sun, low temperatures not being conductive to healthy grass, AND no ability to manage potential issues with heavy snowfall.

We could probably develop a type of grass to minimize or eliminate the first two issues, but winter snowfall is probably always going to be an issue we can't control for in the north. Some type of indoor lighting system is likely going to be the route in the northern states, even if the stadium had lots of available space around it.

Last edited:
On beautiful days I walk up to the Dome saying, "Man, I wish we had an outdoor stadium." On miserable days I walk up to the Dome saying, "Man, I'm glad we have an indoor stadium."

I get where the original poster is coming from. He's just thinking out loud. No need to crucify him.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Nope. Never used an illegal in my life. OK, I've taken enough hits here. This is my last post on the forum which I'm sure will be a cause for celebration. I do want to thank the hosts very much for having and maintaining the site. I am saddened however by the nature of people these days who prefer to insult and are generally mean spirited. I do not use social media or go to other forums for a reason. I can only imagine what these are like without moderators. While we all know that a new stadium will not happen any time in the foreseeable future, I was just having some fun with the concept and offered my opinion of why it would be fun and beneficial. Yes, I do believe it would help. The program is stagnant. The Dome was a great asset to recruiting in its early years. It no longer holds any appeal however. I also think most people here exaggerate the weather. People are comparing Archibold to a modern outdoor stadium. There's no comparison. See my earlier post regarding last years weather. I know I've read comments on this forum in the past where ones have stated that they do not want to sit indoors on a beautiful fall day to watch the product offered. I kind of feel that way myself. I fail to understand why I'm considered a moron or druggy for suggesting that a new football only outdoor stadium would add some life to the program and help it from the doldrums, and that I myself would prefer to be outdoors. But whatever. I wish all the best, Hopefully Syracuse finds a home run coaching staff that will be here for a few years. Maybe that will help the mood here ;)

Nope. Never used an illegal in my life. OK, I've taken enough hits here. This is my last post on the forum which I'm sure will be a cause for celebration. I do want to thank the hosts very much for having and maintaining the site. I am saddened however by the nature of people these days who prefer to insult and are generally mean spirited. I do not use social media or go to other forums for a reason. I can only imagine what these are like without moderators. While we all know that a new stadium will not happen any time in the foreseeable future, I was just having some fun with the concept and offered my opinion of why it would be fun and beneficial. Yes, I do believe it would help. The program is stagnant. The Dome was a great asset to recruiting in its early years. It no longer holds any appeal however. I also think most people here exaggerate the weather. People are comparing Archibold to a modern outdoor stadium. There's no comparison. See my earlier post regarding last years weather. I know I've read comments on this forum in the past where ones have stated that they do not want to sit indoors on a beautiful fall day to watch the product offered. I kind of feel that way myself. I fail to understand why I'm considered a moron or druggy for suggesting that a new football only outdoor stadium would add some life to the program and help it from the doldrums, and that I myself would prefer to be outdoors. But whatever. I wish all the best, Hopefully Syracuse finds a home run coaching staff that will be here for a few years. Maybe that will help the mood here ;)
It’s always the usual subjects. Trolls exist on any message board. Some just get away with more than others

Don't leave, Seriously... it was an interesting discussion and some people did get personal when they shouldn't have. But along with the weather, you didn't really address many of the issues that Tomcat brought up in one his posts.

Sorry you feel this way. We would like this board to be a place all Syracuse fans can enjoy and feel comfortable posting on.

The drug post was a joke. If you choose to post on an Internet board, even a moderated one like this, you are going to zinged a bit when you take a stand on something that is...let's say, unexpected.

I would love to have an open air stadium for football on a nice sunny day in September. I go to a lot of away games and when the weather is nice, watching a game outside is great. I hear what you are saying.

The dome has AC, it has the best set of replay scoreboards in the country, it will soon be the only football facility in the ACC with comfortable individual seats throughout the stadium, it has the best 5G (currently only for Verizon) of any college athletic venue, it has the best sightlines of any college football stadium, etc.

It is IMHO the best facility for college athletics in the country.

We have problems recruiting and problems with the quality of our football staff for sure but IMHO, the football facility is not the root cause. The facility is better than it has ever been.

I don't know this but I bet you have not been to the dome in a very long time. Perhaps you have never been here.

Do yourself a favor and make a trip to a game and then make a post and tell us all your impressions after you visit.

I would be really interested in hearing what you think.

When they built US Bank Stadium in Minnesota, apparently looked at that option. It got ruled out due to potentially inadequate winter sun, low temperatures not being conductive to healthy grass, AND no ability to manage potential issues with heavy snowfall.

We could probably develop a type of grass to minimize or eliminate the first two issues, but winter snowfall is probably always going to be an issue we can't control for in the north. Some type of indoor lighting system is likely going to be the route in the northern states, even if the stadium had lots of available space around it.
When I was at SU I did know a Stumpy, who with grow lights, grew "grass" in his bedroom closet. ;)

There's a million posts you could jump in on regarding our challenges. You just happened to pick a topic that's pretty nonsensical considering all the money we've recently put into the building. A building that's a big part of our brand.

Stick around, find one of the other threads, and pile on with everyone else.

One last friendly tip (I said friendly), a few paragraph breaking line spaces wouldn't hurt.

if it is ever feasible it would have to slip out the west side. Just a hill and parking lots between the dome and 81.

Sorry you feel this way. We would like this board to be a place all Syracuse fans can enjoy and feel comfortable posting on.

The drug post was a joke. If you choose to post on an Internet board, even a moderated one like this, you are going to zinged a bit when you take a stand on something that is...let's say, unexpected.

I would love to have an open air stadium for football on a nice sunny day in September. I go to a lot of away games and when the weather is nice, watching a game outside is great. I hear what you are saying.

The dome has AC, it has the best set of replay scoreboards in the country, it will soon be the only football facility in the ACC with comfortable individual seats throughout the stadium, it has the best 5G (currently only for Verizon) of any college athletic venue, it has the best sightlines of any college football stadium, etc.

It is IMHO the best facility for college athletics in the country.

We have problems recruiting and problems with the quality of our football staff for sure but IMHO, the football facility is not the root cause. The facility is better than it has ever been.

I don't know this but I bet you have not been to the dome in a very long time. Perhaps you have never been here.

Do yourself a favor and make a trip to a game and then make a post and tell us all your impressions after you visit.

I would be really interested in hearing what you think.
Well put Tom. I would like to add that this site is as good a community as you will find. But you better wear your bibs as it can get a bit messy:) Hang in there and keep posting. Trust me until you get put in time out by the mods for a week or more you haven't cut your teeth. Seriously though this is a really fun site with some very knowledgeable posters. Stick around.

I don't remember Archbold having lights.

Every game started at 1:00 PM (or maybe 1:15).
Yes it was something like 1:05.

It had lights in the 70s. There were often turned on because the sky was so dark in the afternoon! I remember there was a game vs Miami at home that might have had a late start or something because it was night before the game ended (and the lights were on).

Going back to that WV home game in 1973, it was Ben's final game ever. The write-up mentions mud 4 times and rain 3 times. "12,900 fans in the place, fewer by the end of the game"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom