Outdoor Stadium | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Outdoor Stadium

Don't leave, Seriously... it was an interesting discussion and some people did get personal when they shouldn't have. But along with the weather, you didn't really address many of the issues that Tomcat brought up in one his posts.
The only personal shot I saw, was the one that random dude took at me and missed with.

The rest just questioned his reasoning.

I think BTandabunchof#s should stay too. I see potential there…

People never sat in Archbold in late November, when the temperature could be in the 30's. The wind up on the hill is like a wind tunnel. As a teenager watched a game up there where it was sunny, started to drizzle, rained, turned to snow, and cleared a place to kick a field goal. Was frozen by the time we left.
No thanks to an open air stadium on the hill.
And not to mention the hemorrhoids we got from sitting on a cold concrete seat.

So I never want an outdoor stadium, dome is and always will be the way to go. We are lucky to have the dome. I want to make that clear before I make this next point. Those citing Archbold as to why we shouldn’t have an outdoor stadium, you do realize it’s about to be 2024, right? You wouldn’t be sitting on concrete and the field wouldn’t be mud. Stadium advancements have come a long way.

Nine D-1 schools play in domes. South Dakota, North Dakota, Idaho State, Idaho, Northern Arizona, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, and SU own/are the primary user of theirs. UT-San Antonio plays in the Alamo Dome.
I’m struck by the fact that 55% have directional arrows

I was in the SU Marching Band in Archbold, so we were on that field. I remember there was one season that every single game the field was muddy - even on some game days it wasn't raining, the field was still mud. Maybe someone here remembers the time we quick stepped out onto the field and my plant foot just went out from under me on the slick mud and I landed on my back. :)

I attended every home game, including the WV game the day after Thanksgiving in a 35-degree downpour. The concrete stadium became a waterfalls cascading down each seating level. Very, very few people attended those games. BTW, we never played at night in those days, unlike with the TV schedules we have now.

Yes, there are some glorious days in September, but season attendance would plummet at SU with an outdoor stadium. BC plays outdoors; did you notice the attendance they got last year for our night game in November? Or in 2016, when Dungey started the fight; it was cold and raw and raining. Barely anyone there for those games. They have a turf field, because it would be a muddy quagmire otherwise.

Back when I was ball boy at Archbold in the '70s, I never slid on the mud and land on my back, but I was hit by the SU running back (I believe Joe Morris, but could be wrong) and the two BC defenders on a sweep, where I ended up planted in the mud. The ref was looking for a ball, but they couldn't find me. Next day I had bruises all over my body. I would do it all over again. Those are experiences you never forget. Fun times!!!

Nope. Never used an illegal in my life. OK, I've taken enough hits here. This is my last post on the forum which I'm sure will be a cause for celebration. I do want to thank the hosts very much for having and maintaining the site. I am saddened however by the nature of people these days who prefer to insult and are generally mean spirited. I do not use social media or go to other forums for a reason. I can only imagine what these are like without moderators. While we all know that a new stadium will not happen any time in the foreseeable future, I was just having some fun with the concept and offered my opinion of why it would be fun and beneficial. Yes, I do believe it would help. The program is stagnant. The Dome was a great asset to recruiting in its early years. It no longer holds any appeal however. I also think most people here exaggerate the weather. People are comparing Archibold to a modern outdoor stadium. There's no comparison. See my earlier post regarding last years weather. I know I've read comments on this forum in the past where ones have stated that they do not want to sit indoors on a beautiful fall day to watch the product offered. I kind of feel that way myself. I fail to understand why I'm considered a moron or druggy for suggesting that a new football only outdoor stadium would add some life to the program and help it from the doldrums, and that I myself would prefer to be outdoors. But whatever. I wish all the best, Hopefully Syracuse finds a home run coaching staff that will be here for a few years. Maybe that will help the mood here ;)
Lots of grown men on here who act one way anonymously online, and then another way in person. That’s a reflection on their character, not yours. Sad you feel this way but I get it.

FWIW, your Archbold stories bore me.

This guy spent many a Sunday afternoon with his butt cheeks literally freezing to the metal benches at Foxboro Stadium… ***as recently as 2001***

Ever huddle in a men’s bathroom at halftime with 200 other dudes to get a fleeting few minutes of relief from 9 degree weather? This guy did. Repeatedly. In the 1990s.

I love the Dome from the bottom of my cold black heart. But it’s made you people soft.

Looking through info on grass fields for indoor stadiums, there’s efforts for short term implementation for the World Cup going on now. Minnesota has looked at the potential to install a grass field in US Bank Stadium, and estimated it would be about 4-5 million in additional costs (although there’s logistical concerns beyond the estimated costs).

I could see at some point an NFL stadium trying this, getting the kinks worked out, and Syracuse installing a grass field 10-20 years down the road. That would address concerns about injuries and negative impacts to recruiting. That’s really the one legitimate point in favor of an outdoor stadium - the ability to have a grass field. Everything else - like it’ll help attendance - is just nonsense.
Back when the World Cup was in the US, FIFA required that all games be played on real grass. They were able to play games in the Pontiac Silverdome (remember that?) because a professor at Sparty was able to design these these things that looked like a hexagonal cake stand that had a tray with sod on top and linked together to form the field. On non-gamedays, they were removed from the dome and put in the parking lots to get sun. I guess it was the forerunner of Arizona's field that slides out of the stadium.

Arizona uses real grass in their dome. Retractable roof, but there is a system for the grass to go outside and back in. We don't have the space for that.
When you look at a Google Map satellite picture of the dome you can see the area where they "park" the field to get sun.

This guy spent many a Sunday afternoon with his butt cheeks literally freezing to the metal benches at Foxboro Stadium… ***as recently as 2001***

Ever huddle in a men’s bathroom at halftime with 200 other dudes to get a fleeting few minutes of relief from 9 degree weather? This guy did. Repeatedly. In the 1990s.

I love the Dome from the bottom of my cold black heart. But it’s made you people soft.

I mean I sat on metal benches in Buffalo for over 3 hours less than a year ago through rain, then sleet then snow to watch the Bills and Jets play a game resembling football before the forward pass was invented. I agree that the Dome has made folks soft. I also agree that on crappy weather days (which haven't been very frequent in recent history), I'm glad we have the Dome.

Soft? We all CAN and probably do endure those things at other places, but why do it when you don't have to? The OP was implying that we switch out for an open-air stadium, correct? Why? What purpose would it serve?

Soft? We all CAN and probably do endure those things at other places, but why do it when you don't have to? The OP was implying that we switch out for an open-air stadium, correct? Why? What purpose would it serve?
It was a silly original post, for sure.

And I agree that if we didn’t have a Dome people would still attend lousy weather games, because they wouldn’t know any better.

Just tickles me when people are all like “Heavens to Betsy, who would attend a football game after the pleasant climes of Mid-October have passed?!”

if it is ever feasible it would have to slip out the west side. Just a hill and parking lots between the dome and 81.
But I love transversing that hill after a September victory.

What if we build an outdoor stadium for September home games and use the Dome when it’s cold and wet?

It was a silly original post, for sure.

And I agree that if we didn’t have a Dome people would still attend lousy weather games, because they wouldn’t know any better.

Just tickles me when people are all like “Heavens to Betsy, who would attend a football game after the pleasant climes of Mid-October have passed?!”

I agree people would still attend games. However, the original poster’s claim was attendance would improve with an outdoor stadium - that position is crazy.

Minnesota drew about 42,000 fans per game in 2008, their last year in the MetroDome. They have drawn about 42,000 fans per game in their new outdoor stadium for over a decade. It’s a 42,000 fan per game program - just like Syracuse.

Looking at reducing our seating to closer to 42,000 seems like a great idea - it’s not a surprise that’s what we’re doing. We are what we are.

And I have no problem admitting I am personally soft, and my days of going to crazy cold weather games are in my past. Younger, more cold tolerant fans are going to need to step up and fill the void. I have enough stories of sitting outside in subzero temperature games to bore my future grandkids with. Now is the time for younger fans to do those activities - then they too can annoy their grandkids by repeatedly telling them about it in the decades to come.

I love the Dome. Always have.
I have lived in northwest Ohio my whole life, and in my early years of Fandom in the mid 80's, the dome was one of those iconic symbols that made us unique and still is. Anytime a big east game came on, that shot of the dome was so cool. Haven't been back there since 2016 Va Tech so I'm looking forward to getting back maybe next season. While out door stadiums are nice, I wouldn't trade the Dome for anything. Just my personal opinion.

I have lived in northwest Ohio my whole life, and in my early years of Fandom in the mid 80's, the dome was one of those iconic symbols that made us unique and still is. Anytime a big east game came on, that shot of the dome was so cool. Haven't been back there since 2016 Va Tech so I'm looking forward to getting back maybe next season. While out door stadiums are nice, I wouldn't trade the Dome for anything. Just my personal opinion.
Totally agree. It’s our identity. That means a LOT when we have so much else working against our program.

The only place to build an Outdoor Stadium would be the fairgrounds, easy access in and out. Ample parking to tailgate. The problem is how to get the Students there and back.
Maybe with Micron coming in there might be viable funding. You also wouldn't have a wind tunnel, which is what made Archbold so cold, and concrete.

Yeah. I was there at old Archibold also. But one more time I'll state my sarcasm. All schools in the country can play football outdoors except good ol Syracuse. OK. I'll crawl back in my cave now.
Archibold? What was that?

Minnesota plays outside. But they are a state school with state funding and they weren’t previously playing in a stadium that was a big part of their identity. And their coach is a Schiano loving Red Bull hyped up idiot. So, as Costanza would endorse, we should do the opposite and continue to play indoors. Debate over.
When the Metrodome roof came down and the Vikings played in Gophers' stadium they installed underground heaters to help melt the snow.

They play outdoors in Florida, or Texas, or California? Imagine that.

Ironically, the new NFL stadiums in Texas, Arizona, Vegas, and Cali all have roofs.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are colder than people realize. They get weather in the low 60s and 50s a lot and sometimes 40s even in the winter months and it feels even colder than that.

Last edited:
Can we just build an outdoor stadium and choose which stadium we’re gonna play in that week depending on the game plan?

Passing 40+ times? Indoors.
Rushing 40+ times? Outdoors.

This is the way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors