Patterson transferring | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Patterson transferring

Maybe we get one scholly restored. That's best case imo. Hate to see these 2 guys out before their time, or anyone else still on the roster.

Good point--I'll add that to the above post.

So is this just talk that they were forced out, or is this fact?

No way they were forced out unless there is a third leaving as well, then we can start the scholarship penalties this year, if anybody was going to be forced out it would have been next year to get to the limit of 10.

This wasn't for Bryant unless 2 more guys are leaving.

I think we all hate to see two of "our" guys leave like this. Buss was in a tough situation but still showed a lot of heart this year. His transfer makes the most sense for him because the writing was on the wall - he wasn't going to see much if any court time moving forward. Johnson showed flashes that maybe he could contribute next year and/or the year after but his time on the court likely would have been very limited. However, considering the situation that we are in, I feel much better about things (somewhat of a relief). I also feel a little guilty because the relief and renewed optimism I have sort of comes at the expense of two of our guys; but that's what had to be done whether it was their call or not.

No way they were forced out unless there is a third leaving as well, then we can start the scholarship penalties this year, if anybody was going to be forced out it would have been next year to get to the limit of 10.

This wasn't for Bryant unless 2 more guys are leaving.
We do not need anyone more leaving to get TB. That is a fact. At least that is what our coaches believe. Maybe you know more (and after what we have gone through, I wouldn't be surprised at this point).

We do not need anyone more leaving to get TB. That is a fact. At least that is what our coaches believe. Maybe you know more (and after what we have gone through, I wouldn't be surprised at this point).

I don't know more, not claiming to. But if we want the scholarship reduction to start with the 15-16 season we would need two to leave to get it at 10 and get Bryant. If I were SU I would want to get to 10 regardless just so the reduction doesn't linger that extra year.

Everything is up in the air, nobody knows if an appeal will even help, after the presser today I don't think JB made any friends at the NCAA for that to happen.

If we could get Bryant and the scholarship numbers don't matter this year, no reason for both Buss and BJ to leave, with the two of them leaving I think that means we're either trying to get to 10 with or without Bryant which would make the most sense to me.

I don't know more, not claiming to. But if we want the scholarship reduction to start with the 15-16 season we would need two to leave to get it at 10 and get Bryant. If I were SU I would want to get to 10 regardless just so the reduction doesn't linger that extra year.

Everything is up in the air, nobody knows if an appeal will even help, after the presser today I don't think JB made any friends at the NCAA for that to happen.

If we could get Bryant and the scholarship numbers don't matter this year, no reason for both Buss and BJ to leave, with the two of them leaving I think that means we're either trying to get to 10 with or without Bryant which would make the most sense to me.
We want TB. That is a fact. Not a guess. He may or may not come here. Still to be decided. We are also concerned about having spots open next year for both Moyer and Battle. That planning has already started. We could have got TB with just one leaving , yes. But the down the road thinking is already going on.

I can't see any way we are currently under scholarship reductions. We've appealed, and all penalties are on hold pending appeal. IMO we now have room for Bryant. And based on what I've read coming from Bryant's family, I wouldn't be surprised if they scooped up one of those open schollies ASAP.

We want TB. That is a fact. Not a guess. He may or may not come here. Still to be decided. We are also concerned about having spots open next year for both Moyer and Battle. That planning has already started. We could have got TB with just one leaving , yes. But the down the road thinking is already going on.

If two more leave, say Chino and G (not saying it's going to happen or even thinking it will happen), it would get us to 9 and we can get TB and still be at the 10, next year McCullough and Cooney are gone, brings us to 8 which gives us Moyer and Battle. At this point I don't want either G or Cooney to leave, but me wanting to get down to 10 scholarships this year, get Bryant, and get Moyer and Battle it may be better for the long term for that to happen. Looking forward I think that is the best option, I don't want to scholarship reduction going on any further than it needs to, I don't think we're a contender next year even with Bryant.

With this scenario we're looking at this for 16-17:

Bryant
Roberson
Richardson
Battle
Moyer
Lydon
Coleman?
Joseph
Howard
Obokoh

That is a title contender, especially if you can convince Obokoh to move on and pick somebody else up. (not trying to be a but if we can send BJ and Buss on their way no reason we shouldn't for Chinoso)

If two more leave, say Chino and G (not saying it's going to happen or even thinking it will happen), it would get us to 9 and we can get TB and still be at the 10, next year McCullough and Cooney are gone, brings us to 8 which gives us Moyer and Battle. At this point I don't want either G or Cooney to leave, but me wanting to get down to 10 scholarships this year, get Bryant, and get Moyer and Battle it may be better for the long term for that to happen. Looking forward I think that is the best option, I don't want to scholarship reduction going on any further than it needs to, I don't think we're a contender next year even with Bryant.

With this scenario we're looking at this for 16-17:

Bryant
Roberson
Richardson
Battle
Moyer
Lydon
Coleman?
Joseph
Howard
Obokoh

That is a title contender, especially if you can convince Obokoh to move on and pick somebody else up. (not trying to be a . . . . . but if we can send BJ and Buss on their way no reason we shouldn't for Chinoso)
I disagree 100% with you. We don't know what the future holds. I start the penalty next year and maybe it gets knocked down by 1 after appeals.

I disagree 100% with you. We don't know what the future holds. I start the penalty next year and maybe it gets knocked down by 1 after appeals.

I hope it gets knocked down as well, just don't think JB helped the cause today.

I really hope this is Patterson's own decision and he wasn't asked to move on. If it was his own decision good luck Buss. I don't think he will get the offers Johnson will get.
I'm sure JB will help Buss find a spot and give him a good recommendation. The staff is just being honest with Buss and BJ. With the roster next year, they aren't going to get playing time. They want to play...and there will be other teams that can offer them a much better chance to play substantial minutes.

I really hope this is Patterson's own decision and he wasn't asked to move on. If it was his own decision good luck Buss. I don't think he will get the offers Johnson will get.

Ron's a solid player. I could see him at a school like Seton Hall, Providence, Butler. He might not be a star, but he has some good instincts and he has the tools to contribute and play a role on a team like that.

Didn't hurt it a bit. We don't get it knocked down by saying we are sorry. We have to fight our way back. Kent and jb understand that. Now you do.

Exactly. If there's one thing people criticize the hell out of other people for in circumstances like this, it's for being mealy mouthed and not saying "I'm sorry. I apologize." - It's always "Mistakes were made but ..." and people never say the magic words that the lynch mob wants to hear. They were smart enough to take that straw man argument away. He said he was sorry. He still think the penalties are excessive, but he said he's sorry.

Even if Coleman is healthy enough to play, there's no way it's reasonable to expect that he could play starter minutes. His knee would never hold up. He's been hurt all 3 years he's been here. If anyone else might leave the team, I have to guess it would be Dajuan.

Buss has a young son...makes sense he wants to go back home

And their inability to pass drug tests.

IMO, one of the more embarrassing aspects of the sanctions coming down that Friday was the 6 p.m. radio show on 97.7 where some clown of a host had both Devo and Shumpert on to "support" their coach.

One line of questioning involved the drug test results--to which Devo replied something to the effect of "I mean it's college, who didn't try it?" He was a great player. But he still hounds this program to the negative. It was embarrassing.

Then I gotta problem
Agree completely. If, and I stress if, this shouldn't be healed on the backs of kids that are here. I rather eat it and it cost us wins than to do this.

Chino could be next year
Chino is in a bad spot if I'm not mistaken. He's already used up 2 years of eligibility and won't get credit for a redshirt year due to some other NCAA bs. If he leaves now and sits out he has one year left. If he leaves after next year, he's out of eligibility.

Chino is in a bad spot if I'm not mistaken. He's already used up 2 years of eligibility and won't get credit for a redshirt year due to some other NCAA bs. If he leaves now and sits out he has one year left. If he leaves after next year, he's out of eligibility.
That doesn't make sense. He didn't get the redshirt year for the question about his highschool transcript, but that wouldn't also mean a transfer year keeps his eligibility clock running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom