Patterson transferring | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Patterson transferring

He lost 1 year and played 1 year. He has used 2 years up. He has 2 years left.

And if he transfers he loses another year. So he'll have just one left. Don't forget he redshirted his first year at SU.

Chino is in a bad spot if I'm not mistaken. He's already used up 2 years of eligibility and won't get credit for a redshirt year due to some other NCAA bs. If he leaves now and sits out he has one year left. If he leaves after next year, he's out of eligibility.
he could always go back "home" and play immediately at U of R or RIT, and he is probably a better fit for a lower division program

And if he transfers he loses another year. So he'll have just one left. Don't forget he redshirted his first year at SU.
He doesn't lose the year for sitting out.

He doesn't lose the year for sitting out.

I'm not sure what you mean. Unlike every other college player in D1, Chino only has 4 years to complete his eligibility. He does NOT get 5 years to complete 4 years of play. He lost a year (what would have been every other player's 5th year), sat out a year (which started his 4 year clock), played this past year. So he has just the 2 more to complete his time to play college hoops. If he transfers, he loses another year. That would leave just one more.

You do not lose the year you have to sit out when transferring.

this isn't true in his case. He won't be allowed an additional year unless someone petitions the NCAA.

You do not lose the year you have to sit out when transferring.

You get 5 years to play 4 years of collegiate athletics once you start playing. I think you are wrong here but I will research further to check

You get 5 years to play 4 years of collegiate athletics once you start playing. I think you are wrong here but I will research further to check

You are right.

Which would make the most sense when considering the entire situation.

Would Bryant really come here if it meant his HS teammate got shipped out to play DII?

Isn't the most likely scenario that both BJ and Ron saw that they wouldn't be getting much playing time next year and decided, if we are going to transfer now is the time. Ron only ended up coming here because Indiana screwed him and BJ always seemed like a potential guy to me, someone who could develop into a contributor but a Josh Pace-type with a different skill set.

BJ only got any meaningful minutes this year after McCullough went down and really only after the post-season ban was announced. This year Ron had some decent minutes from time to time, but looking at the recruits coming I can't see him racking up a lot minutes next year.

I would think that during the post-season meetings with the coaching staff they were told, "Hey, here is what your playing time is realistically going to be next year, if you want to look to transfer we will do everything we can to find you a new college." I find this much more likely than someone saying to them, "We want to recruit Thomas Bryant and in order to do so and have any chance of staying under our scholarship limits we are going to show you the door."

It seems that a lot of things would be considered and weighed and the NCAA sanctions and the desire to recruit now and in the future would weigh the most.

If players now or in the past were "run out" in the manner some on this board believe, we would have a very tough time recruiting any player who wasn't a starter from day one. Maybe my definition of "run out" is different than others, but when we have players leave, of their decision or due the convincing of the staff, they don't seem to have negative things to say about the program or coaches. If they left feeling that they had been "run out" (especially in today's age of Twitter, etc.) I would think they would let their displeasure be known.

Don't like this kind of management. These are kids lives its not that NBA. Pretty ashamed.

CuseFaninVT said:
You are right.
Yep. It's 5 to play 4. That's the easiest way to remember. Clock starts at matriculation. No pausing clock if in school.

Unfortunately Chino was improperly held back in HS. He should have enrolled as a Soph (according to his age), but he was enrolled as a Frosh (according to where he was academically).

The NCAA has a silly rule preventing kids from being held back in HS to gain an athletic advantage (even though a foreign student might need the extra classroom time). We can't have 16 year old HS Freshmen running around, now can we.

Because he gained an extra year of HS, the NCAA makes sure he can't also gain an extra year of college. Instead of having a 5 year window of eligibility like any other kid, the NCAA took one year away.

Such an odd rule. It would be perfectly fine to do this for my 11 year old, but not for a 14 year old. Silly.

All of this roster shuffle will be much easier for us once we win the appeal and we get 1 or maybe even 2 scholarships back each year.

Don't like this kind of management. These are kids lives its not that NBA. Pretty ashamed.
Ashamed of what? Telling a kid he won't get much floor time next year? Maybe JB should have told him he'd probably get 20 minutes a game and then next year said, "my bad" when it didn't happen.
Nothing wrong with honesty. Players expect and respect that.

Is he going to be a 25 year old senior?
Does it really matter? It's not like he is a pro prospect, even in Europe. Good chance of living to be a hundred. Better to take the time now to find the right place to be at this point in his life.

I don't see where you're coming from with this. The coaching staff was most likely honest about the lack of playing time BJ and Ron would get so they left. What's the alternative? Give the kids false hope and then let them rack up a bunch of DNP's during conference play?

Both will be able to pursue college educations elsewhere and Syracuse isn't exactly the most academically prestigious university there is, so I don't think this is hurting Ron or BJ's future.

There's nothing to be ashamed of.

Yep. It's 5 to play 4. That's the easiest way to remember. Clock starts at matriculation. No pausing clock if in school.

i thought you can get another year if you prove the initial redshirt was for medical reasons.

i thought you can get another year if you prove the initial redshirt was for medical reasons.

In the past the NCAA has allowed this, but with that "organization" who knows what they are doing now. Former SU fullback Kyle Johnson was a 6th year senior (1 redshirt year to develop and 1 medical redshirt). I think there has been rare cases when two medical redshirts were granted, but I am not sure if they could then add a developmental redshirt year onto that also.

Last edited:
Maybe my definition of "run out" is different than others, but when we have players leave, of their decision or due the convincing of the staff, they don't seem to have negative things to say about the program or coaches. If they left feeling that they had been "run out" (especially in today's age of Twitter, etc.) I would think they would let their displeasure be known.

I define running a kid out by implying you'll take away his scholarship or actively and deliberately make life worse for him if he stays. I agree with you that this is different than being up front about playing time (or lack of ). As long as they have the option to keep their scholarship or get help transferring somewhere where they can get another and are treated with respect, I think the program has done its part. And of course I'm assuming the player is pulling his share in terms of playing hard and abiding by team rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom