Patterson transferring | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Patterson transferring

That doesn't make sense. He didn't get the redshirt year for the question about his highschool transcript, but that wouldn't also mean a transfer year keeps his eligibility clock running.

Yeah, I'm not understanding how that could work either.

That doesn't make sense. He didn't get the redshirt year for the question about his highschool transcript, but that wouldn't also mean a transfer year keeps his eligibility clock running.

Because the NCAA shortened his eligibility window by one year, he came to SU as a "4 to play 4"

2013-14 was his Freshman Year
2014-15 was his Soph year.

He's got 2015-16 and 2016-17 left.

If he transfers and sits out a year, he got one year available to play.

Because the NCAA shortened his eligibility window by one year, he came to SU as a "4 to play 4"

Ugh that's how that worked?

Ugh that's how that worked?

Unfortunately Chino was improperly held back in HS. He should have enrolled as a Soph (according to his age), but he was enrolled as a Frosh (according to where he was academically).

The NCAA has a silly rule preventing kids from being held back in HS to gain an athletic advantage (even though a foreign student might need the extra classroom time). We can't have 16 year old HS Freshmen running around, now can we.

Because he gained an extra year of HS, the NCAA makes sure he can't also gain an extra year of college. Instead of having a 5 year window of eligibility like any other kid, the NCAA took one year away.

Would not be surprised to see Ron at IUPUI in Indy (the same school which produced the Pacers George Hill).

As others have mentioned he played hard and seemed to have a great attitude, living in Indy, I liked the fact we had a local kid on the team, however he never truly excelled in the minutes he received.

Best of luck to him in his new chapter in life!

IMO, one of the more embarrassing aspects of the sanctions coming down that Friday was the 6 p.m. radio show on 97.7 where some clown of a host had both Devo and Shumpert on to "support" their coach.

One line of questioning involved the drug test results--to which Devo replied something to the effect of "I mean it's college, who didn't try it?" He was a great player. But he still hounds this program to the negative. It was embarrassing.

Devo never knew how to play politically correct or the "right" way to say things but I may be in the minority here, but he was one guy that I loved playing for us. He played with absolute passion and bled Orange and STILL does and makes it known even when it comes out "incorrectly". I wish more players would support their former team like that, like what Coleman also does and a few other guys do as well. You can call Devo whatever you want but loyalty is one thing that you can never challenge him on which I deeply respect from people, especially those wearing Orange uniforms.

Nicknack said:
Devo never knew how to play politically correct or the "right" way to say things but I may be in the minority here, but he was one guy that I loved playing for us. He played with absolute passion and bled Orange and STILL does and makes it known even when it comes out "incorrectly". I wish more players would support their former team like that, like what Coleman also does and a few other guys do as well. You can call Devo whatever you want but loyalty is one thing that you can never challenge him on which I deeply respect from people, especially those wearing Orange uniforms.

Great post. Devo played with absolute heart and HUGE balls. Something consistently missing in SU players.

44cuse

Chino is in a bad spot if I'm not mistaken. He's already used up 2 years of eligibility and won't get credit for a redshirt year due to some other NCAA bs. If he leaves now and sits out he has one year left. If he leaves after next year, he's out of eligibility.
If he leaves now, he sits out 1 year and has 2 years of eligibility left.

He would be eligible to play immediately if he went D-II, right?

He lost 1 year and played 1 year. He has used 2 years up. He has 2 years left.
but you don't lose a year if you're sitting out due transfer rules, right?

I wouldn't think so. Players have transferred twice in their careers and had to sit out two years total, no reason Chin only gets 4 years total.

Fly Rodder said:
yes. He has no shirt year. You have 5 to play 4. He burned shirt, lost a year and played this year. He's got 2 left.

two3zone said:
I wouldn't think so. Players have transferred twice in their careers and had to sit out two years total, no reason Chin only gets 4 years total.
You don't lose a year if you have a redshirt. He doesn't

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom