Petro To UNC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

Wildhack gives a lot deference especially to non fball or bball sports. If the money's right and the coach wants said person Wildhack isn't holding up most hires. Ric has extracurricular stuff that makes him untenable. Axe putting up that article was just him being a reporter and trying to generate some buzz, Ric would never be a serious candidate for that job.

JW treats this like football and hoop. He's not gonna allow a screw up hire and will pay for lax.

never loved him here anyway, although it was probably as good as could be done at the time. Aren't there enough Cuse guys to choose from? I am positive Cuse will be Cuse sooner than later...

The top 25 scoring defenses

1Manhattan151208.00
2Army West Point171559.12
3Massachusetts141329.43
4Delaware181709.44
5UMBC131259.62
6Notre Dame161559.69
7Air Force1717010.00
8Denver1515210.13
9Jacksonville1616410.25
10Vermont1414410.29
11Navy1616710.44
12Towson1515710.47
13Hofstra1414910.64
14Rutgers1415110.79
15Saint Joseph's1516310.87
-Villanova1516310.87
17Duke1920710.89
18North Carolina1415310.93
19Maryland1617510.94
20Penn St.1617611.00
21Johns Hopkins1819911.06
22Princeton1516611.07
23Boston U.1415511.07
24Georgetown1718911.12
25Siena1617911.19

The top 25 scoring defenses

1Manhattan151208.00
2Army West Point171559.12
3Massachusetts141329.43
4Delaware181709.44
5UMBC131259.62
6Notre Dame161559.69
7Air Force1717010.00
8Denver1515210.13
9Jacksonville1616410.25
10Vermont1414410.29
11Navy1616710.44
12Towson1515710.47
13Hofstra1414910.64
14Rutgers1415110.79
15Saint Joseph's1516310.87
-Villanova1516310.87
17Duke1920710.89
18North Carolina1415310.93
19Maryland1617510.94
20Penn St.1617611.00
21Johns Hopkins1819911.06
22Princeton1516611.07
23Boston U.1415511.07
24Georgetown1718911.12
25Siena1617911.19

Syracuse ranked 44 out of 50.

12.13 gpg.

At least we're ahead of Michigan.

Why is that? Because a guy decided he wanted to coach where his sons play and because he won't hire Beardsley?
No more so because of this line in a post above. Seems like a pretty easy communication to get ahead of.

petro told gait a few days ago but gary for some reason did not inform the players. then the news leaked. team had a zoom meeting last night that was described to me as very awkward

No more so because of this line in a post above. Seems like a pretty easy communication to get ahead of.

petro told gait a few days ago but gary for some reason did not inform the players. then the news leaked. team had a zoom meeting last night that was described to me as very awkward
That is the report of one guy. Cant base everything on that. It is most likely a very incomplete picture of how things went down.

so here's one take... probably less than a handful of schools that would have the passion to dissect a defensive coordinator carousel to such a large degree. maybe 2. that's good?

devil's advocate on the good riddance stance:
- there does seem to be some evidence that players "wanted to play for him".
- by at least someone's def efficiency measure, they went from 52 in 22 to 20 in 2023. they lost a lot of faceoffs and that grinds on a defense.
- lost a presumed close d starter and then another. then, player(s) forced out of position.
- how many guys start in the top 8? guys anywhere in the acc? olexxo, aviles and possibly caccamo as a 2nd lsm?
- handled a # of duties outside of coordinating the d.

the jury may be out on recruiting, though? did he really kill it there? fig was flipped, tho that was from rutty. got marks, but not sure if there was competition there. got wright. latter 2 were portal. he could get some credit for culture probably on this front, but the '23 and '24 classes are tbd.

Gait and Mccabe dueling suits on the sideline?

Capture.JPG

so here's one take... probably less than a handful of schools that would have the passion to dissect a defensive coordinator carousel to such a large degree. maybe 2. that's good?

devil's advocate on the good riddance stance:
- there does seem to be some evidence that players "wanted to play for him".
- by at least someone's def efficiency measure, they went from 52 in 22 to 20 in 2023. they lost a lot of faceoffs and that grinds on a defense.
- lost a presumed close d starter and then another. then, player(s) forced out of position.
- how many guys start in the top 8? guys anywhere in the acc? olexxo, aviles and possibly caccamo as a 2nd lsm?
- handled a # of duties outside of coordinating the d.

the jury may be out on recruiting, though? did he really kill it there? fig was flipped, tho that was from rutty. got marks, but not sure if there was competition there. got wright. latter 2 were portal. he could get some credit for culture probably on this front, but the '23 and '24 classes are tbd.
You know I was thinking of you recently since you had an excellent breakdown of the defenses shortcomings after the UVA game. Let's take a look at what you had to say:

"here are the first 6 goals:
1) incredibly unnecessary aj slide to shellenberger as he is dummy dodging and there is no 2 on the entire half of the field to cover.
-2) ditto to garno as he's bottled up going to his left except off dickson on the crease
3) garno speed dodges a short from x. u can maybe have a slide ready, but this is one where u live with garno making a play he almost never does from behind.
4) mcconvey bobbles a pass and somehow splits 2 guys in a phone booth. rosa u can excuse a bit as he was reaching probably for the gb at 1st. the pole not only whiffing the slide but allowing mcconvey to get top side to his strong hand is just crazy bad.
5) mid alley dodge shouldnt draw anything but eyes, but dickson loses himself in the backside wash and the 2 crease d guys don't feel like picking up w enough urgency.
6) no words for simply leaving dickson backside, not supporting anything.
we could go on."

This is the type of crap we are hoping to leave in the past. Teams that move the ball well would just pick us apart due to our eagerness to slide. This was the beginning of the game so you cant excuse faceoff related fatigue or what have you. Could all the players involved just be totally horrible at basic aspects of team defense? Or are they trying to do the prescribed motion in a complicated system that is both flawed and hard to comprehend? I lean towards the latter.

No amount of positives to him being on staff can make up for how the actual defense looked against any team with a pulse on offense. Take away the cupcakes and that defensive efficiency number is not pretty. Replace Will Mark with a non AA goalie and it is downright embarrassing.

There's a better chance of me, Powellfan, nyclax or or you getting the gig then there is of Ric being hired. SU likes Ric but he's never being hired to coach here in any capacity, ever.

It'll surprise no one but Ric is no longer the Bergen Catholic coach for the same antics that got him fired from CBA. News will be public very soon

Just to issue that petro yells or screams or even beardsy yelling n screaming. These are college kids young adults. I feel suck it up n get over it. Now there is a line for coaches not to cross with it. But for most of it just seems like normal coach yelling. If any player can’t handle that then maby time give up sports or anything that will issue critique cause u won’t fair well. These players need to be smart sound aggressive but most importantly willing to give it all when on that field with heart. Someone like rosa comes to mind. I’m sure he gets fair share of yelling as he just doesn’t have foot speed or ability to keep up at times. Yet he puts it all on line with no hesitation. Kid just plays with pure heart and will to do WHATever is needed that he can with talent limitations. Coaches yell n scream so any young adult to let it control their emotions specially if u made mistake or error will it was warranted then needs to grow up or change sports or just take it in n strive to be better. All this i say as long as coaches don’t cross that line where it’s just unnecessary or undeserved. But these young adults if hard for ya to take some heat in college then i a sure you the real world is gonna be worst.

It'll surprise no one but Ric is no longer the Bergen Catholic coach for the same antics that got him fired from CBA. News will be public very soon

I had a feeling that was the case when the Axe article said something like 1 year coaching job at BC or something to that nature. His antics make him a non starter for pretty much any D1 power spot.

i Feel some of players now days just to soft for such a contact sport physically and mentally. I mean i never seen so many guys duck turn back or get out away of a shot in my life. Is it gonna hurt oh without a doubt but that’s why have pads on. Why is it ok for goalie (way less padding) to stand there n take shots but not field players. Not saying take it with no regard or giving them a throat shot or anything. But stand in there n take it like a champ. As can one make a goal not a goal or ball bounce ur way for gb or whatever. Know this thread bout petro leaving n all but this was on my mind n just boggles it. I just want see kids be fearless (not stupid or disregard) when playing make whatever sacrifices to stop ball or block ball.

Just to issue that petro yells or screams or even beardsy yelling n screaming. These are college kids young adults. I feel suck it up n get over it. Now there is a line for coaches not to cross with it. But for most of it just seems like normal coach yelling. If any player can’t handle that then maby time give up sports or anything that will issue critique cause u won’t fair well. These players need to be smart sound aggressive but most importantly willing to give it all when on that field with heart. Someone like rosa comes to mind. I’m sure he gets fair share of yelling as he just doesn’t have foot speed or ability to keep up at times. Yet he puts it all on line with no hesitation. Kid just plays with pure heart and will to do WHATever is needed that he can with talent limitations. Coaches yell n scream so any young adult to let it control their emotions specially if u made mistake or error will it was warranted then needs to grow up or change sports or just take it in n strive to be better. All this i say as long as coaches don’t cross that line where it’s just unnecessary or undeserved. But these young adults if hard for ya to take some heat in college then i a sure you the real world is gonna be worst.

Screaming and yelling may motivate some people, but positive reinforcement, thoughtful and timely criticism and general overall respect will motivate everyone. College age kids are more aware and cognizant of their feelings than college age kids of previous decades.

How about Ryan Powell? Would he be a candidate? Has he ever coached D? Though I don't think he has any college coaching experience. Would he and Gary get along or 2 strong egos?

Chris with some less then flattering stuff to say about Gait behind the scenes as a HC. Hints he may not be long for the job.

How about Ryan Powell? Would he be a candidate? Has he ever coached D? Though I don't think he has any college coaching experience. Would he and Gary get along or 2 strong egos?

Wrong coordinator position and even if it was the OC he's no where ready for that kind of jump.

"that is the report of one guy" -- no that is the truth and if you are listening to chris jastrzembski on cuse radio right now he's saying the exact same thing about how it went down

at this point in his career there are probably better x's and o's coaches than petro but he took a lot of time to get to know the kids off the field. he developed very close personal relationships. he got to know the families. that stuff matters especially when you have a head coach who isnt great at that sort of thing

"that is the report of one guy" -- no that is the truth and if you are listening to chris jastrzembski on cuse radio right now he's saying the exact same thing about how it went down

at this point in his career there are probably better x's and o's coaches than petro but he took a lot of time to get to know the kids off the field. he developed very close personal relationships. he got to know the families. that stuff matters especially when you have a head coach who isnt great at that sort of thing

It's why Chris kept hinting SU was going to hire someone who may ultimately takeover for Gait. I thought it was unrealistic but now I wonder if it will be Galloway, he's the kind of guy Gait needs if the rumblings are accurate. Wildhack may have to force the hire though, can't imagine Gait's amped to bring in his potential replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom