Class of 2017 - PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas

Have I missed it somewhere? To which school was Preston committed before?

This was confusing to me as well with the "opened up his recruitment." From what I have been able to find, he never committed to anyplace but he had announced a final 4 or 5. Now he is going back on that and adding other teams since he got interest from other programs after making his "final" list.

It looks like Boeheim & Company are looking for a grand slam in 2017.
I think Preston is more a replacement for Nick Richards, maybe? But if 2017-18 is going to have Chukwu, Thompson, and Moyer in the blocks, where does the SU find room for a top-20 PF who will most likely want (and can likely earn) lots of playing time.
This was confusing to me as well with the "opened up his recruitment." From what I have been able to find, he never committed to anyplace but he had announced a final 4 or 5. Now he is going back on that and adding other teams since he got interest from other programs after making his "final" list.
Thanks, that makes some sense. Lots of places have stated that he opened up his recruitment and never explained what that meant.

This is a very interesting development. For this to come out of the blue the way it has would suggest that Preston expressed interest recently. I cant see the staff just arbitrarily make a push this late in cycle given who we have and are already in the mix with. He probably sees some solid PT available, and I don't blame him. Looks like he could play either the 3/4 (maybe even the 5 at times) but I could see the staff selling him as a swing 3 which is where he would translate in the NBA. Wouldn't that be an interesting frontcourt of PC 7'2, TT 6'10, Preston 6'10.

To me this feels like real legit interest on both ends. Given the amount of time that the staff has been putting in on a ton of the 2017 kids, to switch gears and put some real attention on Preston tells there is more to it than just 'due diligence'.

Mason

This is a very interesting development. For this to come out of the blue the way it has would suggest that Preston expressed interest recently. I cant see the staff just arbitrarily make a push this late in cycle given who we have and are already in the mix with. He probably sees some solid PT available, and I don't blame him. Looks like he could play either the 3/4 (maybe even the 5 at times) but I could see the staff selling him as a swing 3 which is where he would translate in the NBA. Wouldn't that be an interesting frontcourt of PC 7'2, TT 6'10, Preston 6'10.

I agree with this. He'd be the perfect replacement for Lydon.

To me this feels like real legit interest on both ends. Given the amount of time that the staff has been putting in on a ton of the 2017 kids, to switch gears and put some real attention on Preston tells there is more to it than just 'due diligence'.

Mason
If we were lucky enough to get a commitment from him, as Francis has pointed out, we would probably be sweating out his eligibility until the day he set foot on campus due to his attending Prime Academy for the past couple of years.

images

Anybody know if Zags is ok? No UK mention in that tweet.

I think Zags is fine. He's at the historic concerts this weekend at the site of Coachella. Tonight he's seeing Dylan and the Stones.

Hey, Billy Preston played with the Stones. In fact, he was on my favorite album of all time, Exile On Main St. Oh, different Billy Preston. ;)

This is great news, getting him on campus is huge. This would be an incredible turn of events if we can get this kid on board. Hopefully we get a report or two from our insiders

Too much talk about the subject recruit...back to geography. Baltimore is very arguably in NE Maryland.

By the way Syracuse has a long history of outstanding Billies (Gabor, Owens and Edelin) and Bills (Smith and Buffalo) we also have had an outstanding Preston (Shumpert), so why not combine all of that into a Billy Preston.

Last edited:
Is the general feeling that he is strictly a 4? He looks like he could also be a 3 in the Cuse system, no? Like someone else posted he could be a Lydon replacement as someone who could play across the entire back line.

PS.
giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom