Class of 2017 - PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas

I don't think either of them lived up to their potential, definitely not Thomas, but I made the comment because they were traded for eachother twice.

That's the NBA for you once a guy can no longer play to his pay. It does seem that they do not hand out near as many long term deals to guys nearing 30 as they used to though.

I don't think either of them lived up to their potential, definitely not Thomas, but I made the comment because they were traded for eachother twice.

Yeah you are definitely right re: Thomas and good memory about the trades!

Preston looks like a flat-out stud to me, if McCullough was a one-and-done, this kid is for sure.

Plus, we've had good luck in the not too distant pass with players named "Preston" ...

He looks like he has the right attitude and aggressively attacking game to be a stud in college for sure. I think long term NBA wise he will need to expand his offensive arsenal, but getting drafted shouldn't be an issue for him.

He looks like he has the right attitude and aggressively attacking game to be a stud in college for sure. I think long term NBA wise he will need to expand his offensive arsenal, but getting drafted shouldn't be an issue for him.
I agree, I think it was you that mentioned earlier how, from the videos out there, he doesn't show much of a post up game. He definitely needs to add that as well as getting better from deep. But, that handle and athleticism at his size with a great mid range game is a great place to start. He could be an offensive force with some hard work.

Preston looks like an explosive, exciting player. Again, I want to emphasize that he'd be a great get, so don't take this post the wrong way.

I do have two big concerns with his game after reading all of the scouting reports on him:

1) He doesn't concern himself with playing defense. That's in just about everything I've read. We've had these sort of players before and they can be very difficult to deal with.

2) He is a black hole on offense. He is extremely confident in his abilities. That's good. However, because of that he rarely looks for his teammates. Ball stoppers are bad in so many ways and can also create drama within a team. Not only does Preston rarely make an assist, his assist-to-turnover ratio is awful.

Maybe he will take his senior year at Oak Hill to work on those things. He obviously has an NBA physique right now, so one and done.

On the NBA comparisons, I've read that scouts think Preston has a little but of Trey Lyles in his game.

Preston looks like an explosive, exciting player. Again, I want to emphasize that he'd be a great get, so don't take this post the wrong way.

I do have two big concerns with his game after reading all of the scouting reports on him:

1) He doesn't concern himself with playing defense. That's in just about everything I've read. We've had these sort of players before and they can be very difficult to deal with.

2) He is a black hole on offense. He is extremely confident in his abilities. That's good. However, because of that he rarely looks for his teammates. Ball stoppers are bad in so many ways and can also create drama within a team. Not only does Preston rarely make an assist, his assist-to-turnover ratio is awful.

Maybe he will take his senior year at Oak Hill to work on those things. He obviously has an NBA physique right now, so one and done.

On the NBA comparisons, I've read that scouts think Preston has a little but of Trey Lyles in his game.

Coach B has dealt with this before and yes it can be an issue. But, a great one and done talent, first rounder, possible lottery pick gets told by a HOF Coach, play my way or you will sit your way into the second round watching from the bench; it changes attitudes and effort. I don't think JB would be pursuing if he thought these were real problems and/or they couldn't be overcome. By the way, there was a "no defense" knock on Billy Owens and he doesn't play well with others on Carmelo. Maybe true, maybe not but it turned out pretty good for SU and for them.

Last edited:

Van Horn played in a couple NBA Finals for the Nets. His career wasn't chopped liver.

Van Horn played in a couple NBA Finals for the Nets. His career wasn't chopped liver.
Van Horn would KILL in today's NBA game. Having the skill set he did at his size was a bit ahead of its time.

I believe he is. Under armor, his camp :noidea:

Yep.

Still. Carmelo. Oak Hill. Melo Center. At least we are in the competition. Better figure out if he'd be cleared. With the scholarship situation, can't have another Diagne situation.

If we get him, I hope he's eligible. It's getting late early around here for the 2017 recruiting season.

... With the scholarship situation, can't have another Diagne situation.
What scholarship situation? There will be more 'ships available next season than Syracuse knows what to do with.

What scholarship situation? There will be more 'ships available next season than Syracuse knows what to do with.

I'm well aware of the open slots. Do we want another situation where we have a player drop out due to transcript issues and we are left scrambling? It's easy to forget that we had 7 scholarship players this year before we locked up Gillon, Thompson and White.

I'm well aware of the open slots. Do we want another situation where we have a player drop out due to transcript issues and we are left scrambling? It's easy to forget that we had 7 scholarship players this year before we locked up Gillon, Thompson and White.
Oh I understand that - I thought you were implying that we can't risk a scholarship on Preston and then not have enough to go around. They should have been firing out offers like Tom Crean this year. SU could conceivably (unlikely sure, but ain't no one committed yet) be left without a top-50 recruit in a year when they have like 3-4 positions open. That's cray.

hey CuseMan4 any word on how confident the staff is about landing Billy?
They think they have as good as chance as anybody else and getting a visit so soon from him is viewed as a good thing. They have been telling Preston about McCullough and how they have a very similar game but believe Preston is further along. I know they have told him that Chris was a 1st rounder after 1 year and played virtually half a season so imagine what we can do with you, is virtually the pitch and how well he fits in our system (the protypical Cuse forward) they think they have a good chance

They think they have as good as chance as anybody else and getting a visit so soon from him is viewed as a good thing. They have been telling Preston about McCullough and how they have a very similar game but believe Preston is further along. I know they have told him that Chris was a 1st rounder after 1 year and played virtually half a season so imagine what we can do with you, is virtually the pitch and how well he fits in our system (the protypical Cuse forward) they think they have a good chance
cool, thanks!

CuseMan4 thank you for the info
any other news about the SG or SFs spots we recruiting for? Staff upset about the UoA commitment by BR?
Upset isn't the best word to use, they never get upset about a kid making a decision best for them, they knew he would be tough to get a week or 2 before the Zona visit and they got the sense he was leaning that way but still thought they had a chance. As far as wings they are all in on Walker as I think Jake has already stated, they are keeping tabs on Wright in case he wants to reclassify and obviously Diallo if he decides to go to college, I'm sure more names will emerge once the early signing period is over and Quade signs with us

Upset isn't the best word to use, they never get upset about a kid making a decision best for them, they knew he would be tough to get a week or 2 before the Zona visit and they got the sense he was leaning that way but still thought they had a chance. As far as wings they are all in on Walker as I think Jake has already stated, they are keeping tabs on Wright in case he wants to reclassify and obviously Diallo if he decides to go to college, I'm sure more names will emerge once the early signing period is over and Quade signs with us

Speaking of Quade - hearing any staff concern on this front, given his buddy's commit to UA, and QG's upcoming trips to UK, Duke, UA, etc? Will feel A LOT more comfortable if/when this one is wrapped up.

Speaking of Quade - hearing any staff concern on this front, given his buddy's commit to UA, and QG's upcoming trips to UK, Duke, UA, etc? Will feel A LOT more comfortable if/when this one is wrapped up.
Zona already has their point guard committed so he's not going there, Duke and Kentucky haven't prioritized him like Cuse has and he knows that and that's a big deal to him,. Would be stunned if he doesn't sign with us in November

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom