Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding JJ and the 2 spot wouldn’t it be important for his development and NBA aspirations dictate he’d be looking at the PG position in college at 6’3”?

Who do you think his best case is for NBA comp?

Is it Mitchell? Book? Mitchell has insane athleticism but Book is probably more technically sound. Murray? All three of those guys still get some assists. Klay?

And I can't put him in any sort of league w/ any of the guys like Luka/Harden/Steph/Dame.

Feels like he'll need to be a scoring guard in the NBA and be a second ball handler type, not the primary.

Who do you think his best case is for NBA comp?

Is it Mitchell? Book? Mitchell has insane athleticism but Book is probably more technically sound. Murray? All three of those guys still get some assists. Klay?

And I can't put him in any sort of league w/ any of the guys like Luka/Harden/Steph/Dame.

Feels like he'll need to be a scoring guard in the NBA and be a second ball handler type, not the primary.

He's not as athletic as Mitchell. I think Jordan Clarkson personally.

Seth Davis just gave away the secret, said a Copeland commitment is expected soon.

Wouldn't be surprised if he’s already committed.

Is Seth Davis doing the games?? Where did you see this.

Yup. He’s a ball dominant 2 guard, think Tyus. Now I’m not saying they are the same player but Tyus played off the ball but still was a ball dominant guard. That’s what JJ will be. I think JJ is a bette player than Tyus for what it’s worth as well. I think Copeland could play in the same backcourt as JJ. I also think we could take all 3 of Taylor, Copeland and JJ. You could have Copeland at the 1, JJ at the 2 and Taylor at the 3, you could even slide Kamari to the 4 as he’s 6-8 and I’m sure will be a bit bigger by the time he arrives to campus. That’s one thing about Boeheim’s system most of the time the players that play the 3/4 are interchangeable. Obviously Taylor is a 2/3 combo but Kamari is more of a 2-4 combo lol, Benny is a 3/4, Grant was a 3/4, Fair was a 3/4, Chris McCullough was a 3/4, Roberson was a 3/4. You get my point. These guys are versatile and can play multiple positions the question is can we get them all to play well together if they all do come here.
Agree.

I'm curious to how Tyus's game would have been playing with a strong lead PG? I'm also curious to how JJ could/would adjust to playing with a strong lead guard.

JJ would have to adjust to playing on a team with multiple scoring options that doesn't need him to try and score everything, while still being that threat.

JJ isn’t a PG and never has been. Maybe he can develop into one eventually. He’s not the City Rock PG. He’s not even their 2nd PG. The prep school he plays for is bringing in a stud PG next year (whose name escapes me). JJ and Copeland could definitely play together.

Seth Davis just gave away the secret, said a Copeland commitment is expected soon.

Wouldn't be surprised if he’s already committed.

Kudos to the coaches for this '22 class. Portal, Covid, etc... feels like there has been 1) hard work finally paying off and 2) rejuvenation on top of that just in the overall energy.

Q seems like the kind of player we get, blossoms here for 2 years or so, then all of a sudden he can be a lottery pick (best case situation).

Kudos to the coaches for this '22 class. Portal, Covid, etc... feels like there has been 1) hard work finally paying off and 2) rejuvenation on top of that just in the overall energy.

Q seems like the kind of player we get, blossoms here for 2 years or so, then all of a sudden he can be a lottery pick (best case situation).

When a kid has his uncle announce him to the crowd while he walks out to the middle of the dome blowing kisses to the crowd, the recruiting process is officially over. Quadir probably goes to sleep every night dreaming about playing in front of 35,000 fans.

I don't see him playing the 1 in the League. He's a scorer ala Donovan Mitchel (6'3) or Sweet Lou Williams (6'1). I could be wrong but I think his ticket in the league will getting buckets at the 2.
Mitchell plays both the 1 and the 2. He will likely end up the starting PG when they trade Rubio. He has started 42 games at PG. He is also listed at 6'1 by Basketball Reference.

JJ isn’t a PG and never has been. Maybe he can develop into one eventually. He’s not the City Rock PG. He’s not even their 2nd PG. The prep school he plays for is bringing in a stud PG next year (whose name escapes me). JJ and Copeland could definitely play together.
And this is why I don't think Cope sees JJ in his way. JJ is a slasher/volume scorer and likely a 2G, while JT is already 6-6 200 as a HS junior, easily big enough to play wing F opposite Lands. That would give us firepower at 1-4, although a lot of things have to fall in place as I posted yesterday. Class of 2022 - PG Quadir Copeland (PA/IMG) Offered

Last edited:

Would you say the '22 class has an overall ball handling acumen that is higher than most of our previous classes, ie - can all these guys dribble at the ACC-level from the get go and potentially break down defenders? I love Q as a bball player. Obviously JJ and Kamari can score, and I like JT. They all seem like they can break down defenders off the dribble. I know that seems weird to focus on, but I think if that's true, we can really unlock some stuff that has been dormant in the half court.

He's not as athletic as Mitchell. I think Jordan Clarkson personally.
I think it's more of a "different athletic" in comparison to Mitchell. Mitchell is strong, physical and he seeks the contact to determine the finish. Donovan has great body control, footwork and balance.

JJ is more of a quick, relatively strong, get to the basket type. I think JJ has a better shot, which means you have to respect that and get out on him, which allows him to blow past if he's not shooting it.

JJ has a ways to go to be the baller that Mitchell is right now.

Would you say the '22 class has an overall ball handling acumen that is higher than most of our previous classes, ie - can all these guys dribble at the ACC-level from the get go and potentially break down defenders? I love Q as a bball player. Obviously JJ and Kamari can score, and I like JT. They all seem like they can break down defenders off the dribble. I know that seems weird to focus on, but I think if that's true, we can really unlock some stuff that has been dormant in the half court.

that’s a good question. They all have weaknesses as ball handlers. Mostly getting sloppy because they get going too fast. But they all have another year in HS then SU. They do all seem to have great court awareness and they are all willing passers. It’s also tough to translate HS to the ACC except for the very elite.

Mitchell plays both the 1 and the 2. He will likely end up the starting PG when they trade Rubio. He has started 42 games at PG. He is also listed at 6'1 by Basketball Reference.
He definitely plays both, but he's primarily a 2. He makes great passes as well, but I wouldn't call him a distributor. If they trade Rubio, guarantee they bring in a PG, because it one thing to be a ball dominant guard that can attack from the 1 or 2 position, it's another thing for it to be your full time role at the 1.

Height... I didn't look at any official height list, but he's also listed at 6'3 all over the place as well. I take most NBA Players "height" with a grain of salt anyway.

There lived a certain man in Philly long ago
He was big and strong, in his eyes a flaming glow
Most people looked at him with terror and with fear
But to Syracuse chicks he was such a lovely dear
He could drop dimes like The General
Full of swagger and fire
But he also was the kind of passer
Posted bigs would desire

Qua- Qua- Qua- Quadir
Lover of coach Jimmy B!
There was a cat that was really gone
Cuse's next great point machine
It was a shame how he carried on

JJ is listed as PG on the City Rocks roster, and I know for a fact that he played the point and 2G for the Rocks.

City Rocks EYBL (NY)

JJ Starling #1·PG​

Cityrocks medium

ROSTER.png

NUMBERNAMEPOS.HEIGHTHIGH SCHOOLGRAD YEARCOMMITTED
0Michael RoganW6'7South Kent2022
1JJ StarlingPG6'4La Lumiere2022
2Julian BrownG6'2Bergen Catholic2022
3Keith WarrenG6'2Rochester McQuaid2021
4Brett RumpelG6'4SPIRE Academy2022
5Justus Ross-SimmonsF6'4Rochester East2022
10Amarri TiceW6'7St. Thomas More2022
12Marcus JacksonG6'3Cushing Academy2022
21Jacob WorksG6'3Liverpool2022
23Jonathan BeagleF6'10St. Thomas More2022
30Brendan CoyleW6'6Cushing Academy2022
32Dayshaun WaltonW6'6Green Tech2022
55Aaron CarterG6'1Don Bosco Prep2022

Per Andrew Slater, Duke has offered JJ Starling. Starling is a four-star point guard in the class of 2022. Per 247Sports composite rankings, he is the 54th ranked player, and 9th ranked point guard in the class.

Starling started at PG for La Lumiere this season

JJ is listed as PG on the City Rocks roster, and I know for a fact that he played the point and 2G for the Rocks.

City Rocks EYBL (NY)

JJ Starling #1·PG​

Cityrocks medium

ROSTER.png

NUMBERNAMEPOS.HEIGHTHIGH SCHOOLGRAD YEARCOMMITTED
0Michael RoganW6'7South Kent2022
1JJ StarlingPG6'4La Lumiere2022
2Julian BrownG6'2Bergen Catholic2022
3Keith WarrenG6'2Rochester McQuaid2021
4Brett RumpelG6'4SPIRE Academy2022
5Justus Ross-SimmonsF6'4Rochester East2022
10Amarri TiceW6'7St. Thomas More2022
12Marcus JacksonG6'3Cushing Academy2022
21Jacob WorksG6'3Liverpool2022
23Jonathan BeagleF6'10St. Thomas More2022
30Brendan CoyleW6'6Cushing Academy2022
32Dayshaun WaltonW6'6Green Tech2022
55Aaron CarterG6'1Don Bosco Prep2022

Per Andrew Slater, Duke has offered JJ Starling. Starling is a four-star point guard in the class of 2022. Per 247Sports composite rankings, he is the 54th ranked player, and 9th ranked point guard in the class.

Starling started at PG for La Lumiere this season

ive watched every one of their games. Rumpel is the PG and when he’s out Brown is. Sure he brings it up court sometimes usually to beat his man off the dribble and get his shot.

ive watched every one of their games. Rumpel is the PG and when he’s out Brown is. Sure he brings it up court sometimes usually to beat his man off the dribble and get his shot.
Starling leads the City Rocks in minutes, points, AND assists per game for all games. To claim that "isn't a PG and never has been" is simply false.

Cope is a naughty boy.
The number of steals he has been overlooked
He’s a legitimate thief
I'll admit I havent been able to watch a ton of peach jam but some of what I saw showed Copeland playing decent defense. It was said in a previous post breaking down his game that he played pretty much no defense at all...maybe that was just a off game/games? Or maybe when the lights came on he applied himself?

Starling leads the City Rocks in minutes, points, AND assists per game for all games. To claim that "isn't a PG and never has been" is simply false.
What's his assist #s? Everything i saw shared looked like he didn't put much imprint on the game outside of scoring. Thought his assist/rebounds were pretty mediocre. Rumpel has definitely been the main ball handler/facilitator for them from everything I've seen.

did you watch the games? Averaging 2 apg doesn’t make you a PG either. He didn’t play PG really at Bville either. A little white kid did. And it’s interesting that the city rock roster says he’s a PG and says G for Rumpel when Rumpel was the PG 90% of the time when he was in. Let me put it this way since you didn’t like what I said. He’s not close to the PG Copeland nor Westry are. And the major point is that he and Copeland could absolutely coexist in a lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom