Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 139 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

I was listening to the Orange Fizz podcast the other day and they had Tyus on as a guest. He sounded like a smart kid that knows our history and exactly how he fits in. He also mentioned his brother, who he said is 6'3" and a much better shooter than him. Anybody know if his brother is a future possibility or is he not quite at the same level?
Not there yet, to be honest. Kid doesn't get a huge amount of run on that St. Joe's squad, but he did hit a couple of critical shots. Only a freshman, not sure if he shoots up to Tyus' size, etc - but has a sweet looking stroke. To be determined, but if I were to project now? Not at Tyus' level. Still a pup though, 2019.

Game log at the bottom here

Not there yet, to be honest. Kid doesn't get a huge amount of run on that St. Joe's squad, but he did hit a couple of critical shots. Only a freshman, not sure if he shoots up to Tyus' size, etc - but has a sweet looking stroke. To be determined, but if I were to project now? Not at Tyus' level. Still a pup though, 2019.

Game log at the bottom here

Thanks Tee! Didn't realize he was only a Freshman. Thought soph..

Nice quote from At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. on Kid Mamba:

"It's pretty easy to figure out why we have Tyus Battle ranked as a 5-star player: he knows how to play the game. Blessed with a high basketball IQ and a sweet jumper that extends well past the 3-point line, Battle can also blow by you or just finish over the top."

I was listening to the Orange Fizz podcast the other day and they had Tyus on as a guest. He sounded like a smart kid that knows our history and exactly how he fits in. He also mentioned his brother, who he said is 6'3" and a much better shooter than him. Anybody know if his brother is a future possibility or is he not quite at the same level?

Some of my former students are in class with him at St. Joe's. They say that he can jump out of the gym.

ive heard his brother is not nearly as talented and prob not a big time prospect but hes still young so who knows.

Nice quote from At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. on Kid Mamba:

"It's pretty easy to figure out why we have Tyus Battle ranked as a 5-star player: he knows how to play the game. Blessed with a high basketball IQ and a sweet jumper that extends well past the 3-point line, Battle can also blow by you or just finish over the top."

I like it, especially the bolded part. We're going to need him to be a threat from deep to help replace what Cooney and G brought to the floor. If he can hit about 2 per game (maybe a little more), that will be huge.

I like it, especially the bolded part. We're going to need him to be a threat from deep to help replace what Cooney and G brought to the floor. If he can hit about 2 per game (maybe a little more), that will be huge.
I don't understand the shooting concern re: Battle. He has perfect form and shot 44% from 3. He may not be Steph Curry but with his athleticism he doesn't need to be.

I don't understand the shooting concern re: Battle. He has perfect form and shot 44% from 3. He may not be Steph Curry but with his athleticism he doesn't need to be.
Yeah, agree. I'm not sure how that happened here, has great form and is not afraid to pull the trigger. He can shoot the ball. Just one of many things he does well.

I haven't seen Battle play, what current or former player does he remind you of?

Why on earth was Battle not in the McD's/Jordon all-start games, if he's that good? I mean, Dion went #4 in the draft ... so hearing that Battle's Dion + 2-3 inches, a better passer and shooter and just as athletic ... makes me wonder about these all-star committees.

He missed his entire Jr year with an injury, that's why. Out of sight, out of mind.
Their loss, our gain.
I'm sure he's got a pretty good chip on his shoulder about that.

I remember when Tyler Ennis got snubbed, he went OFF in his next game, and then of course had that great Frosh season for us.
Let's hope Tyus follows a similar path.

Apologies, this thread is too long to go through to see if this was posted already. Just saw this while perusing for videos of Tauren and this weekends recruits. Thought it was a cool story on a future Orange!

Considering how desperate we were to bring in another player "with point guard skills," does this mean the staff does not consider Battle a point guard at this time?

Considering how desperate we were to bring in another player "with point guard skills," does this mean the staff does not consider Battle a point guard at this time?
desperate isn't quite the word I would use. I think they were after someone with a 3pt shot who wouldn't take away scholarships for 2017 class.

T will be handling the ball a decent amount

We needed the depth. We have gone four straight seasons where our starting guards were averaging over 30 minutes per. That has to stop at some point right?

Apologies, this thread is too long to go through to see if this was posted already. Just saw this while perusing for videos of Tauren and this weekends recruits. Thought it was a cool story on a future Orange!

Cool video, thanks for sharing - funny to see them wearing Michigan gear.

Jake said:
It's funny, he looked so disinterested in those all star games. He was. But you can't judge a player in a glorified practice.

He looked disinterested when several people I know watched him play in high school games.

Maybe he was just bored.

Francis03 said:
We needed the depth. We have gone four straight seasons where our starting guards were averaging over 30 minutes per. That has to stop at some point right?

Only problem is if Malachi leaves our guards are still going to be playing 30 minutes a game next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom