RB Jawhar Jordan in the transfer portal | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

RB Jawhar Jordan in the transfer portal

Osaka doesn’t owe the media anything.
This isn’t the 1980s or time before social media.
Fans don’t need the media like they used too.
Media nowadays behave entitled and act like they are important when they do more to create drama than be the lifeline for fans like the old times.
Osaka doesn’t owe them anything.
Her fans care about her playing tennis not talking to tennis media.

She is 100% right.
Any athletes should boycott sports media if they want too. Fans don’t care about talking to media.

Jawhar Jordan will be missed.
Fans don’t need the media?! Lol between sports center, all the radio shows, magazines, blogs and many other forms of media if you took that away what would you have. I’m sure you follow media pretty damn closely when it comes to pre season news, recruiting and what not. If you are a pro athlete it comes with territory get over it, or do something else. As far as Jawhar it’s too bad he is leaving but it is what it is, no way he would have been starter anyway, maybe he will get a better shot someplace else.

Fans don’t need the media?! Lol between sports center, all the radio shows, magazines, blogs and many other forms of media if you took that away what would you have. I’m sure you follow media pretty damn closely when it comes to pre season news, recruiting and what not. If you are a pro athlete it comes with territory get over it, or do something else. As far as Jawhar it’s too bad he is leaving but it is what it is, no way he would have been starter anyway, maybe he will get a better shot someplace else.
Sports media is a joke and not necessary.
They have become agenda driven.
Sports radio is toxic.
Print media is irrelevant.
ESPN is a joke.

Sports media are entitled. Athletes and fans don’t need them.
Social media allows athletes to talk to their fans.
Media is supposed to be the lifeline for fans. It’s not anymore.
They try to create brands just like athletes.

Jordan doesn’t need the media when he announces his decision.
He can just announce it on Twitter or IG.

Sports radio is toxic.
ESPN is a joke.

Sooo from your hot take, you don’t follow any sports media just some athletes
Twitter? I highly doubt that.

Sooo from your hot take, you don’t follow any sports media just some athletes
Twitter? I highly doubt that.
I don’t need sports media.
It’s toxic and overwhelmingly unnecessary.
I wouldn’t care one iota if all athletes stopped talking to the media completely.
That is the point.

All I will say is that 99% of the above comments are wrong. You are making assumptions about both the player and the coaching staff and their plans and not one of these assumptions is correct. Not only are they wrong, but if you took the time to read your posts from the standpoint of the players reading your posts or their families reading them, it is surprising that we don't loose a lot of other players. Yes, players should not read these type of posts, but they do, and you all need to be more sensitive to their feelings and mental health.
Think Naomi Osaka. Players play their sport because they have a tremendous skill set, not just to entertain you or to make you happy off of the field of play. Hopefully if left to their natural abilities they will make you happy by that alone.
The news of where he is going may be premature as it has not been officially and publicly announced. But trust me that he will be someplace where he will be showcasing his skills and will get a great education (for those of you who worried about that). When all is public, I may comment more, but seriously, you don't own any of the players and you have no say in what they chose to do with their lives, and the same with the coaching staff.
Actually I probably will not post any more on this subject. I am pretty disgusted at this point.
Media nowadays behave entitled and act like they are important when they do more to create drama than be the lifeline for fans like the old times.

She is 100% right.
Any athletes should boycott sports media if they want too. Fans don’t care about talking to media.

Maybe I’m wrong , but didn’t the players agree to talk to the media in their contract?

Maybe I’m wrong , but didn’t the players agree to talk to the media in their contract?
I don’t know if it’s the athletes contract but it’s not necessary anymore.
If athletes don’t want to speak they shouldn’t.
Plain and simple.
If it hurts the sport that is the consequence the athlete will suffer.

For ex. "no way he would not have been a starter" You don't know that. I do know things. I can't post them, but this is an incorrect statement and potentially an insulting statement. There are so many incorrect statements on here. And I have to say I am laughing at all of them. I only know his mother, but know the entire story including how the coaches reacted to him leaving, how they intended to use him this season, why he left, how he was advised, etc. This is an incredibly savvy family. Not a bunch of hot heads. This is exactly the type of post I am talking about.
And with that, I am out. Alsacs gets it. Thank you.

I don’t know if it’s the athletes contract but it’s not necessary anymore.
If athletes don’t want to speak they shouldn’t.
Plain and simple.
If it hurts the sport that is the consequence the athlete will suffer.
If it’s in their contract they should absolutely speak or find another place to use their skills.Maybe come next contract time she could help in negotiations and get the speaking part out, but until then both parties should adhere to the contract.Why even have a contract if one side thinks they don’t have to adhere to it.
Maybe the other side could just decide their not paying after the tournament because they didn’t make as much money as they thought they would.

If it’s in their contract they should absolutely speak or find another place to use their skills.Maybe come next contract time she could help in negotiations and get the speaking part out, but until then both parties should adhere to the contract.Why even have a contract if one side thinks they don’t have to adhere to it.
Maybe the other side could just decide their not paying after the tournament because they didn’t make as much money as they thought they would.
There isn’t a contracf for tennis.
I guarantee you they will change whatever rules they have after this Osaka incident. Public opinion is on her side.
If she doesn’t want to talk she shouldn’t have too.
If she doesn’t talk and it hurts her sponsorship opportunities that will be her problem.

Media need to stop feeling entitled.
Their job is supposed to be they are a lifeline for fans to athletes. That isn’t the case anymore.
Athletes can communicate with their fans without the media nowadays.

She is 100% right.

Media provide exposure and coverage of events that professionals play in.

It's less about the individuals and more about the leagues & tournaments.

The leagues and tours need media to cover them to help with sponsorships, which help to pay salaries to run these things.

She is a professional playing on a tour that is run by a company. Part of the obligation and why they are paid the way they are is due to the coverage these media provide.

If she can't handle the interviews, and is suffering from mental health issues, then she has the right to not play and find another way to support herself that is less invasive and better suits a healthier mental lifestyle.

She is 100% wrong.

There isn’t a contracf for tennis.
I guarantee you they will change whatever rules they have after this Osaka incident. Public opinion is on her side.
If she doesn’t want to talk she shouldn’t have too.
If she doesn’t talk and it hurts her sponsorship opportunities that will be her problem.

Media need to stop feeling entitled.
Their job is supposed to be they are a lifeline for fans to athletes. That isn’t the case anymore.
Athletes can communicate with their fans without the media nowaday
If it’s not in a contract then how can they fine her?

The leagues and tours need media to cover them to help with sponsorships, which help to pay salaries to run these things.

She is a professional playing on a tour that is run by a company. Part of the obligation and why they are paid the way they are is due to the coverage these media provide.

If she can't handle the interviews, and is suffering from mental health issues, then she has the right to not play and find
If it’s not in a contract then how can they fine her?
She doesn’t have a contract.
The tournament has rules.
It’s different. The rules will change after this.

If she can't handle the interviews, and is suffering from mental health issues, then she has the right to not play and find another way to support herself that is less invasive and better suits a healthier mental lifestyle.

She is 100% wrong.
Yeah media.
Wee.

Sports radio is toxic.
ESPN is a joke.

Jordan doesn’t need the media when he announces his decision.
He can just announce it on Twitter or IG.
You are taking two issues and morphing them into one response, which is ridiculous.

Osaka Issue
You are failing to realize the revenues that are generated from the media organizations - TV, specifically - drive the ridiculous prize monies handed out to these professional athletes. If it is an obligation required by the tour, an athlete needs to take care of the obligation. Period. End of story.

Social media is for the individual, not the tour. They can brand themselves all they want to, and if they want to start their own tour, they can. Or start a tour without media. But you know what the prize money would be for those events? Not much.

Jordan Issue
Who cares if he needs the media or not? Nobody ever said anything about that. It was said that there shouldn't be misinformation distributed about Jordan. Fine, agreed. But this is a message board - and there are plenty of opinions distributed about any number of topics. If Jordan is really disappointed and frustrated because one poster on a message board said the coach at his former institution wanted to utilize him in one way, and he didn't want to play that way, do you really believe this should create drama in anyone's life? Life is going to be a lot more difficult than that for him over the next 10-60 years, God willing.

Gotta love how taking care of your mental health is still seen as controversial.

Best of luck to Jahwar, I'm sure both parties will end up doing fine overall.

Yeah media.
Wee.
Do you understand how professional sports works?

These leagues pay these players a ton of money - these tournaments, the tours, whatever organization you want to name.

It is their jobs to perform, entertain, and abide by the rules. If she doesn't like the rules, then she doesn't have to play.

The rules won't change -- or shouldn't, at least. Do I think press conferences are boring and mundane? Yeah. Do people ask the same stupid questions a lot of the time? Yeah. But let me ask it to you a different way:

Do you have parts of your job that you don't particularly like? I do.

Do you have parts of your job that create frustration and angst? I do.

Do you have days where you aren't feeling the greatest and don't want to do portions of your job? I do.

Do you have parts of your job that create mental fatigue and stress that trickles into your personal life? I do.

Can you simply say "I don't want to do this part of my job because I don't really like it and it's causing me mental fatigue and stress."? I can't.

And I don't get paid millions of dollars.

Gotta love how taking care of your mental health is still seen as controversial.

Best of luck to Jahwar, I'm sure both parties will end up doing fine overall.
It's not about mental health - it's about doing your job.

If a job is not good for your mental health, then get a new one or take some time off. Don't simply say I'm not going to do part of my job.

She doesn’t have a contract.
The tournament has rules.
It’s different. The rules will change after this.
Ok so now you think she doesn’t have to follow the rules?Should everyone pick and choose what rule they want to follow?I’m not sure why she even played in the tournament in the first place if she knew she wasn’t going to follow the rules.
As far as not needing the media these days, I totally disagree. What player is going to give you answers to tough questions if the media isn’t asking them?

These leagues pay these players a ton of money - these tournaments, the tours, whatever organization you want to name.

It is their jobs to perform, entertain, and abide by the rules. If she doesn't like the rules, then she doesn't have to play.

The rules won't change -- or shouldn't, at least. Do I think press conferences are boring and mundane? Yeah. Do people ask the same stupid questions a lot of the time? Yeah. But let me ask it to you a different way:

Do you have days where you aren't feeling the greatest and don't want to do portions of your job? I do.

Do you have parts of your job that create mental fatigue and stress that trickles into your personal life? I do.

Can you simply say "I don't want to do this part of my job because I don't really like it and it's causing me mental fatigue and stress."? I can't.

Amen brother! What the heck has happened to this world?

Amen brother! What the heck has happened to this world?
Amen brother.

Osaka was right.
Their will be change.
It’s too late for me to give this a well thought out response.

It's not about mental health - it's about doing your job.

If a job is not good for your mental health, then get a new one or take some time off. Don't simply say I'm not going to do part of my job.

The majority of her job is to play tennis competitively, not talk to the media especially when it comes to non-tourney/personal questions.

speaking to the media is a grand slam regulation.

The majority of her job is to play tennis competitively, not talk to the media especially when it comes to non-tourney/personal questions.
OK, and the majority of my job is to do XX and 5% is to do something I absolutely think is stupid and ridiculous, and is stressful. It's still 5% of my job.

If she doesn't like the line of questioning, a simple "no comment" will suffice.

She has suffered with depression. It is not a joke. And I understand that. However, she is a public figure making more money than 99% of the world will ever see. I sympathize with her depression, but at the same time, it is part of the job.

Here's what one of the individuals on the tour said:

American Sofia Kenin, who won the Australian Open and finished runner-up at Roland Garros last year, said dealing with the media demands of elite tennis was "definitely not easy" but it is what players "signed up for."

"There's expectations from the outside, sponsors and everyone. You just have to somehow manage it. You have to have a good team around you who support you," the American said.

For the record, Osaka made $55 million last year. I understand money does not buy happiness, but if she really isn't wanting to do this or is suffering due to the media, then I think she needs to take the time she needs to get well. She has the means. She is not poor. She can take a day off. She can take multiple days off. She could retire right now. Nobody is forcing her play. I don't think these tournaments did anything wrong and shouldn't change their policies due to this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom