Rebranding the Cuse | Syracusefan.com

Rebranding the Cuse

Orangejet

Suds Peddlar
With the upcoming entrance into the ACC, SU should utilize its marketing and promotional might and assist in rebranding the football team. Some aspects are underway with the IPF but others that would help are new uniforms, a larger, better performing marching band, improved fan involvement at games and a positive image for the City of Syracuse come to mind.
Uniforms - Have Nike spruce it up with different combo's, including helmets, for this is BIG with many recruits.
Band - Need to tighten up their performance and get away from the Stanford type non-chalent attitude with same old music the band has been playing since the late 70's. The Cuse band should take a look at Pitt's to see what I mean. BC's band is bad too...
Fans - Ever see a VT game when the fans all jump as the team enters field? Or the NY Jets when the guy with the fireman's helmet leads the J E T S cheer before opening kickoff and during game? This is an easy one...C-U-S-E Cuse, Cuse, Cuse. That cheer coming inside the Dome would be awesome!
City of Syracuse - There are numerous positive aspects of the city and I can tell you that I went to the NW game after a 15 year absence and I was impressed with the University, Marshall Street and Armory Square. Having worked in the beer business for close to 30 years, Syracuse has some great craft breweries/brewpubs and restaurants and I see this as a selling point for fans from the ACC visiting the Cuse for games.
Have I missed anything?

It is commone when an organization goes through a merger or restructuring that a rebranding effort is done. I think you bring up some good points as to revitalizing the prgram on the heels of the ACC affiliation.

Unifroms: I think you are dead on with this. It has been a hot topic for many on here, but the bottomline i kids these days jump at these things. So I suppose the question is for the naysayers. Would you rather have highly talented kids in unifroms you don't like, or the same old uni's with 2 and 3 stars. Additionally unifrom changes create marketing opportunities and exposure for the university.

Band: I dont pay much attentio to the band, but I do know that a key to the college game day atmosphere is student involvement. If the band can do more to engage the students it would really help. See Wisconsin

Fans: See above, I believe the whole fan involvement is huge. And I am not talking about shaking of keys.

The City: The outside perspective of Syracuse is that it is not a great place. I am from Massachusetts and I love going there in the University area. An interesting comparison is the city of Worcester, MA there is not a ton there, but anybody in that area can see that the city has done a great job of becoming a destination for people who dont want to travel into Boston for some great food. Syracuse has a lot to offer, and probably could invest in some more economic development to make people want to come to the city, not just the games. This will in turn actually give some an excuse to attend a day game and grab anice bite at night.

Overall I think you are spot pon that the time is now, but none of this matters unless we turn in a winning season this year. A winning program willl eventually put butts in the seats. that process will be expedited if you combine it with everything you listed above.

We need another new logo

su_logo_medium.jpg
syracuse-logo_medium.gif
b419c7123bf161fb189e59b6f038b2f4.gif
7v5ykulntc4mqgc72pgz.png
3702_syracuse_orange-alternate-1992.png

Nike gave us a wholesale uniform change in 2005. How'd that work out?

It only took them 5 years to correct the damage.

Leave the damn things alone.

Well i think the point is that the unifrom changes need to be positive. If you look at the college football landscape this is a major part of recruiting. even teams steeped in history are adding little notes that appeal to these young kids, like the wide reciever gloves that have the logos on the palm.

They also made those uniform changes in the middle of the worst stretch of football this program has had. they could have given kids diamond encrusted uniforms they still werent coming

It is commone when an organization goes through a merger or restructuring that a rebranding effort is done. I think you bring up some good points as to revitalizing the prgram on the heels of the ACC affiliation.

Unifroms: I think you are dead on with this. It has been a hot topic for many on here, but the bottomline i kids these days jump at these things. So I suppose the question is for the naysayers. Would you rather have highly talented kids in unifroms you don't like, or the same old uni's with 2 and 3 stars. Additionally unifrom changes create marketing opportunities and exposure for the university.

Band: I dont pay much attentio to the band, but I do know that a key to the college game day atmosphere is student involvement. If the band can do more to engage the students it would really help. See Wisconsin

Fans: See above, I believe the whole fan involvement is huge. And I am not talking about shaking of keys.

The City: The outside perspective of Syracuse is that it is not a great place. I am from Massachusetts and I love going there in the University area. An interesting comparison is the city of Worcester, MA there is not a ton there, but anybody in that area can see that the city has done a great job of becoming a destination for people who dont want to travel into Boston for some great food. Syracuse has a lot to offer, and probably could invest in some more economic development to make people want to come to the city, not just the games. This will in turn actually give some an excuse to attend a day game and grab anice bite at night.

Overall I think you are spot pon that the time is now, but none of this matters unless we turn in a winning season this year. A winning program willl eventually put butts in the seats. that process will be expedited if you combine it with everything you listed above.
There will be alternate uniforms for the Penn State game.

Well i think the point is that the unifrom changes need to be positive. If you look at the college football landscape this is a major part of recruiting. even teams steeped in history are adding little notes that appeal to these young kids, like the wide reciever gloves that have the logos on the palm.

Gloves with Otto I can live with.

I'm afraid we'll get black jerseys, platinum jerseys, flourescent orange jerseys, etc...

Leave that schtick to Oregon and Maryland.

Gloves with Otto I can live with.

I'm afraid we'll get black jerseys, platinum jerseys, flourescent orange jerseys, etc...

Leave that schtick to Oregon and Maryland.

and ohio st, and michigan, notre dame, boise st, virginia tech, florida, mizzou, northwestern, tcu, west virginia, baylor, oklahoma st, texas a&m, wisconsin, nebraska... and I'm sure many more.

I guess the only difference with those programs (aside from Maryland) and Syracuse is that each one has been lightyears better over the past 5... 10... 15 years.

I agree the main jersey should for the most part stay the course... but pullin out an alternate once or twice a year is a brilliant thing that gets kids (athletes, students, young impressionable fans) excited.

Just looking at the fan involvement side-

I would love to see some efforts from the university and the area businesses to collaborate and have a large festival atmosphere. It would be a good way to get people onto Marshall St and get some activities between parking and the Dome with stuff to do. People complain about how the Dome is in an urban setting making it hard to get to, but the advantage is that you can use the existing surrounding businesses to create a more comprehensive experience. I'd call it Otto Gras.

Area businesses could sell tickets that would give you access to:

A pub crawl/beer & wine tasting
Product giveaway/door prizes
Face painting for kids, fun SU themed interactive games like running through a gauntlet of blockers, throwing a ball through a barrel, etc.
Biggest SU fan contests

You could bring the marching band down, the cheerleaders, the dance team, etc. Make it a parade event with sponsors, the whole deal.

Shoot Otto out of a cannon. (kidding, sort of)

Fans - Ever see a VT game when the fans all jump as the team enters field? Or the NY Jets when the guy with the fireman's helmet leads the J E T S cheer before opening kickoff and during game? This is an easy one...C-U-S-E Cuse, Cuse, Cuse. That cheer coming inside the Dome would be awesome!
Too bad the Harlem Shake fad will have run its course before the season starts - could be a natural tie in with our NY's Team self-designation. Send one player out in front of a disinterested student section to start it (they already have a helmet on), then run out the rest of the team when the pandemonium kicks in. Or have Otto start it off (would need to create a giant helmet/mask for him, or have a different one each game) and do the players entrance during/after the crowd participation part.

The bonus is it creates a mini-event that will get the students in the Dome before kickoff. Not sure how they'd handle props, but kids will figure something out. For those with no idea what I'm talking about:

With the upcoming entrance into the ACC, SU should utilize its marketing and promotional might and assist in rebranding the football team. Some aspects are underway with the IPF but others that would help are new uniforms, a larger, better performing marching band, improved fan involvement at games and a positive image for the City of Syracuse come to mind.
Uniforms - Have Nike spruce it up with different combo's, including helmets, for this is BIG with many recruits.
Band - Need to tighten up their performance and get away from the Stanford type non-chalent attitude with same old music the band has been playing since the late 70's. The Cuse band should take a look at Pitt's to see what I mean. BC's band is bad too...
City of Syracuse - There are numerous positive aspects of the city and I can tell you that I went to the NW game after a 15 year absence and I was impressed with the University, Marshall Street and Armory Square. Having worked in the beer business for close to 30 years, Syracuse has some great craft breweries/brewpubs and restaurants and I see this as a selling point for fans from the ACC visiting the Cuse for games.
Have I missed anything?

Sure, take a chant associated with the biggest joke team in the NFL and move it to Syracuse. Seems like a great idea. None of the things that you have said are things we don't already do. Also, doesn't work to well if the fans aren't in their seats when the game starts...

If it was that easy to get combo uniforms from Nike don't you think every school would do it? We'll get them for the PSU game, we should be happy with that.

Who are you marketing to when you bring the city into it? We aren't going to be a national brand, so who are we going for here?

Being a NY Giants fan, I agree that the Jets are a joke these days, but C U S E would work if fans make that a part of the game. Many schools have similar chants and there is no reason that the Cuse can't start a chant that is cool. Let's Go Orange is ok...

Area businesses could sell tickets that would give you access to:

A pub crawl/beer & wine tasting
Product giveaway/door prizes
Face painting for kids, fun SU themed interactive games like running through a gauntlet of blockers, throwing a ball through a barrel, etc.
Biggest SU fan contests

You could bring the marching band down, the cheerleaders, the dance team, etc. Make it a parade event with sponsors, the whole deal.

Shoot Otto out of a cannon. (kidding, sort of)

Actually they do some of that on the quad before games. They have face painting, have had that bouncy thing, some football games etc for the kids. The band plays and puts on a show on the Hendrick Chapel stairs. The band marches around the dome and enters on the south side entrance about a half-hour pre-game after Hendricks chapel , all the time putting on a show. They sell beer, food, have contests and giveaways by radio stations, companies etc too. It's just not well attended unfortunately. They even had a "lucky ticket number" contest last year right before the game to lure the fans inside before the game starts, to poor success. I have been going pre-game to the quad the past 2 years (to the games much longer)- it's embarrasing when there are almost as many opponents' fans stopping to watch the band as SU fans. Those kids work hard for very little appreciation. Heck many fans saunter into the game throughout the first quarter.

Winning games and more interesting opponents solves a lof of this. We're winning more, and the opponents are getting more interesting.

Actually they do some of that on the quad before games. They have face painting, have had that bouncy thing, some football games etc for the kids. The band plays and puts on a show on the Hendrick Chapel stairs. The band marches around the dome and enters on the south side entrance about a half-hour pre-game after Hendricks chapel , all the time putting on a show. They sell beer, food, have contests and giveaways by radio stations, companies etc too. It's just not well attended unfortunately. They even had a "lucky ticket number" contest last year right before the game to lure the fans inside before the game starts, to poor success. I have been going pre-game to the quad the past 2 years (to the games much longer)- it's embarrasing when there are almost as many opponents' fans stopping to watch the band as SU fans. Those kids work hard for very little appreciation. Heck many fans saunter into the game throughout the first quarter.
Sorry to say but the SU band isn't that good. They play the same old songs, don't march in sync and I have seen better high school bands perform.

It's time to step it up with all aspects of the Cuse experience and the band should be included.

BTW - I do appreciate the time and effort the band puts in but some tweaking is needed.

Being a NY Giants fan, I agree that the Jets are a joke these days, but C U S E would work if fans make that a part of the game. Many schools have similar chants and there is no reason that the Cuse can't start a chant that is cool. Let's Go Orange is ok...
If you want something "cool" then it needs to be original. We've already tried "We Are S U" and "C-U-S-E". They don't work because no one cares.

and stop shaking the keys. Just stop it.

For the record, I went to 2 Colorado games in the mid-90's during their very successful Kordell Stewart era.

This was immediately after I graduated from 'Cuse where - during my 4 years at least - we never shook our keys.

If I'm being honest, a packed house of 55,000+ people shaking their keys while shouting at the top of their lungs was impressive to me at the time.

Not saying it'd be great now... Just that if the Dome were actually full and everyone was doing it, it might be cool... Might.

It seems as if this is a "tradition" that doesn't play well if only because the Dome energy has sucked for the better part of a decade.

The keys thing is not unique to SU. The whole point is to make noise on 3rd down, and clapping your hands simply makes more noise than shaking your keys.

We definitely need to do something drastic and crazy. I say we bring back this logo and put it on our football helmets and on the 50 yard line. People will instantly be intimidated.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

We definitely need to do something drastic and crazy. I say we bring back this logo and put it on our football helmets and on the 50 yard line. People will instantly be intimidated.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
You'd have to be pretty crazy to put a basketball on the 50 yard line and on football helmets... Not sure who it would intimidate though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom