Recruiting Updates | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Tough day across the Basketball recruiting world. For UCONN and ST. Johns.

UCONN, lost out on Tevin Mack (to VCU), Jones, and Briscoe.

I'm surprised Briscoe bothered with the recruiting charade.

Still trying to figure out what makes Kentucky so attractive - other than winning a lot.

Been to Lexington. Nothing special.

Cue the you could say the same about Syracuse people.

Still trying to figure out what makes Kentucky so attractive - other than winning a lot.

Maybe they are all just big fans of Adolph Rupp?

Maybe it's the uniform? Or the meal plan? I've heard multiple complaints from players in a couple of northeastern schools about being hungry.

Last edited:
I really don't know, but in my opinion I think it is the pathway to the NBA with WWW's guarantee that they will have a shoe deal once they get there.

I think alot rides on how ready Diagne/lydon will be, and whether they will have the physical nature to play pf or center for us next year. I know we have Gbinije, Roberson and BJ next year, but I get the feeling BJ and Roberson may need the senior year to really step up and be more then a 6th man averaging 8 points in 30 minutes max next year. Although Gbinije could step up and hit the 10ppg mark possibly, as he is more up to the speed of the college game this year and will have the whole offseason to work on his offense. That being said I think we will lack the frontcourt leadership next year with no better then a 6th man, unless coleman comes back as a beast. Great teams want atleast one leader in the frontcourt and the backcourt, and we won't have a defensive leader at the pf/center spot either imo. Imagine this years team with a sophmore rak at center, it wouldn't be pretty.

I don't know the rules and if its past the deadline, but If there are any bigs transferring that would be elgible for one year next year, I could understand atleast entertaining the thought maybe.

If coleman could come back by some miracle by mid jan and gives us something like 7 and 5 over a 12 minute span it could be great for this team. I don't mind if its our best lineup with coleman/rak/cmac on the floor together but we can only get 10-15 minutes out coleman even. Cmac has really really impressed me with his sf potential. Reminds me of the otto porter I saw in the dome 2 years ago.

Last edited:
orangefan13 said:
I think alot rides on how ready Diagne/lydon will be, and whether he will have the physical nature to play pf or center for us next year. I know we have Gbinije, Roberson and BJ next year, but I get the feeling BJ and Roberson may need the senior year to really step up and be more then a 6th man averaging 7.5 points in 30 minutes max. Although Gbinije could step up and hit the 10ppg mark possibly, as he is more up to the speed of the college game this year and will have the whole offseason to wok on his offense. That being said I think we will lack the frontcourt leadership next year with no better then a 6th man, unless coleman comes back as a beast. Great teams want atleast one leader in the frontcourt and the backcourt, and we will have a defensive leader at the pf/center spot either. Imagine this team with a s sophmore rak. I don't know the rules and if its past hte deadline, but If there are any bigs transferring that would be elgible for one year next year, and would be a leader from the beginning I would be considering it right now, and we could use the defensive experience, physicallity and motor next year. If coleman could come back by some miracle by mid jan and gives us something like 7.5 and 6 over a 12 minute span just to start it could be great for this team. I don't mind if its our best lineup with coleman/rak/cmac on the floor together but we can only get 10-15 minutes out coleman even. Cmac has really rally impressed me with his sf potential. Reminds me of the otto porter I saw in the dome 2 years ago.

Saw Lydon today. He's not physically ready to play PF right now. He's a small forward at this stage but could grow into a PF in time. A redshirt year may be to his benefit.

Hasn't he already re-classified prior to SU offering him a scholarship? Will probably depend on how many forwards are in front of him. Team could be stacked with 4 possible or possibly 5 recruits. If McCullough is still at SU along with Roberson, Gbinije, and Johnson; that's a crowded back front court. Lots of moving parts here, including Coleman's status. Don't want to sell this years team short, but next year has the potential to be much stronger.

Next year has the potential to be a real problem if CMc leaves, Bryant goes elsewhere, and DC2 either doesn't play or can't play effectively because of his knee. That leaves only Diagne to play center. CO to me is not a high D1 player...another bizarre recruiting move. Starting forwards of Roberson and Gbinije ( can they combine for 12 points a game?) backed up by a couple of toothpicks in BJ and Lydon. Same back court plus Richardson (hooray maybe a guy who can make a 3 pt shot finally) and Howard (question mark). We really need to land some high level talent in the 2016 class.

Next year has the potential to be a real problem if CMc leaves, Bryant goes elsewhere, and DC2 either doesn't play or can't play effectively because of his knee. That leaves only Diagne to play center. CO to me is not a high D1 player...another bizarre recruiting move. Starting forwards of Roberson and Gbinije ( can they combine for 12 points a game?) backed up by a couple of toothpicks in BJ and Lydon. Same back court plus Richardson (hooray maybe a guy who can make a 3 pt shot finally) and Howard (question mark). We really need to land some high level talent in the 2016 class.

That's why getting Bryant is so important.

I think that Jamal Murray is every bit the player that Tyus Battle is. If it's an either/or, it just seems that Murray has such a great feel for the game and is an elite guard! Isn't it worth making it known to him that we'd give him the option to commit. Let Battle make his own decision. Murray can play the 1 or 2 and would compliment Joseph/Howard/Richardson so nicely. Big guard who can fill it up from deep or make plays for others off the bounce. Don't know if he's still interested in us or not, but I think it would be crazy to put him in a holding pattern. It's been mentioned that he could re-classify to 2015, which would unfortunately put us out of the running, unless Bryant goes elsewhere. If he's 2016, I'd make him priority #1. Kid can ball.

Murray's team is up by 10 at the half and he has been the best player on the floor so far. Leads all scorers with 14pts scoring in all kinds of ways. His defense was also impressive. I was shocked when I saw his hands up in the zone, since I didn't think that was allowed after watching Kaleb Joseph so much this season.;)

Murray's team is up by 10 at the half and he has been the best player on the floor so far. Leads all scorers with 14pts scoring in all kinds of ways. His defense was also impressive. I was shocked when I saw his hands up in the zone, since I didn't think that was allowed after watching Kaleb Joseph so much this season.;)
Much thanks as always my friend. And yeah, about the hands...why? Why no hands up? I scream this every game. He hasn't heard me yet. :)

PVI(Howard and King) will play Oak Hill after 7. So I'll be back with updates around then. Looking forward to seeing Frank because he's been a little bit of the mystery man in this class to me.

Howard just hit a three, scored the last 5 points. Score is now 8-6, Oak Hill. Pope John started down 8-0.
Frank has 5 points on 2/3, 1/2 threes.