Recruiting Updates | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

Dean Francis@OttosWorld365 · 24m24 minutes ago
Oak Hill up 16-10 after 1. Howard leads PVI with 7pts. Jumper looks nice and has done a good job moving the ball around and being aggressive

Dean Francis@OttosWorld365 · 4m4 minutes ago
Oak Hill up 31-23 at the half. Howard has 9pts and King 6pts. They'll need more help or this could get ugly in the 2nd half.

Will write a more detailed piece on some of the players and games that I have seen within the next few weeks. Till then here goes some quick hitters.

1)My man sterncuse was on point in his recent report here about Frank Howard. Not sure if he'll be a full time PG, but he has outstanding vision and can facilitate well in the half court. Lord knows we can use all the help that we need in half court offense. Imho think of an overall better version of Mike G, if you're looking for a comparison.

2)VJ King showed off some solid offensive skills knocking down several jumpers and some finishes inside. Still seems to be finding his way on a new team. Can tell he's not trying to do too much this early, but surprisingly PVI is really lacking in talent overall this season, so he's going to have to step it up along with Frank in every game to give their team a chance to win. One negative, at 6'7 or so he only had 2 rebounds for the game and that came within the last several minutes in garbage time yuck! Gotta get more mean on the glass young man.

3)Jamal Murray probably had the best performance of the day. This is the type of guard that wins you championships. Wish we can find a way to say F it and land him but everything is a big ? until the end of the season, when we see who goes and stays.

4)Thon Maker is a definite pro, but his game at the moment still needs plenty of refinement. Spends 80% of his time offensively on the perimeter and that's just a no no on the high school level when you're 7'1 imo. Frame still needs to fill out as I've seen numerous undersized but stronger players have success against him inside the paint. The Durant comparisons were totally ridiculous. If anything KG is a better one because of his nice face-up game.

5)When talking long term pro prospects. Jayson Tatum a top 3 2016 forward was probably the best one that I saw today. He's listed around 6'9 and is highly skilled with plenty of versatility. Can handle it like a PG and has range from deep. Could stand to be a little more aggressive on the inside at his size but that will probably come due in time. All of the big boys are on him and I'll assume that he ends up at either Duke, UK, or Kansas.

6)Some names to keep an eye on that I would love to see SU turn it up on are Dematha's 2017 SF DJ Harvey and 2016 CG Markelle Fultz. Harvey is very athletic and his overall game is coming along. Looks good putting it on the floor and knocked down several threes as well. Looks to be a good defender also. Fultz is a combo guard that does a bit of everything that contributes in wins. Whether it's scoring, passing, shooting, defending, etc. Also add in the fact that he's very athletic and explosive as well. Fultz has been a late bloomer on the national scene, but I think that will change from this point on as I'm sure he turned a lot of heads today.

7)Was able to check out 2016 PG Howard Washington and 2017 PG Aaron Thompson, who plays alongside Howard at PVI. Both are solid players and will eventually be contributors on D1 teams, but I didn't see any high level elite attributes from them to make me think that SU should make them a priority at this point. Obviously improvements can be made and I'll definitely keep an eye on them to monitor their progression.

Will write a more detailed piece on some of the players and games that I have seen within the next few weeks. Till then here goes some quick hitters.

1)My man sterncuse was on point in his recent report here about Frank Howard. Not sure if he'll be a full time PG, but he has outstanding vision and can facilitate well in the half court. Lord knows we can use all the help that we need in half court offense. Imho think of an overall better version of Mike G, if you're looking for a comparison.

2)VJ King showed off some solid offensive skills knocking down several jumpers and some finishes inside. Still seems to be finding his way on a new team. Can tell he's not trying to do too much this early, but surprisingly PVI is really lacking in talent overall this season, so he's going to have to step it up along with Frank in every game to give their team a chance to win. One negative, at 6'7 or so he only had 2 rebounds for the game and that came within the last several minutes in garbage time yuck! Gotta get more mean on the glass young man.

3)Jamal Murray probably had the best performance of the day. This is the type of guard that wins you championships. Wish we can find a way to say F it and land him but everything is a big ? until the end of the season, when we see who goes and stays.

4)Thon Maker is a definite pro, but his game at the moment still needs plenty of refinement. Spends 80% of his time offensively on the perimeter and that's just a no no on the high school level when you're 7'1 imo. Frame still needs to fill out as I've seen numerous undersized but stronger players have success against him inside the paint. The Durant comparisons were totally ridiculous. If anything KG is a better one because of his nice face-up game.

5)When talking long term pro prospects. Jayson Tatum a top 3 2016 forward was probably the best one that I saw today. He's listed around 6'9 and is highly skilled with plenty of versatility. Can handle it like a PG and has range from deep. Could stand to be a little more aggressive on the inside at his size but that will probably come due in time. All of the big boys are on him and I'll assume that he ends up at either Duke, UK, or Kansas.

6)Some names to keep an eye on that I would love to see SU turn it up on are Dematha's 2017 SF DJ Harvey and 2016 CG Markelle Fultz. Harvey is very athletic and his overall game is coming along. Looks good putting it on the floor and knocked down several threes as well. Looks to be a good defender also. Fultz is a combo guard that does a bit of everything that contributes in wins. Whether it's scoring, passing, shooting, defending, etc. Also add in the fact that he's very athletic and explosive as well. Fultz has been a late bloomer on the national scene, but I think that will change from this point on as I'm sure he turned a lot of heads today.

7)Was able to check out 2016 PG Howard Washington and 2017 PG Aaron Thompson, who plays alongside Howard at PVI. Both are solid players and will eventually be contributors on D1 teams, but I didn't see any high level elite attributes from them to make me think that SU should make them a priority at this point. Obviously improvements can be made and I'll definitely keep an eye on them to monitor their progression.
Thanks as always and agree about Franky. Really great passer, always looking up for cutters and spot ups. I think yesterday, he was asked more to score the ball, at least in the first half he had some opportunities. Tough matchup yesterday. Guards with size, Giddens and the other big man. Howard and VJ were the only guys hitting shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks as always and agree about Franky. Really great passer, always looking up for cutters and spot ups. I think yesterday, he was asked more to score the ball, at least in the first half he had some opportunities. Tough matchup yesterday. Guards with size, Giddens and the other big man. Howard and VJ were the only guys hitting shots.
PVI was hit with a lot of transfers this summer. About five players who would've been key contributors left. Adding King was huge but not enough to make up for the losses. Good opportunity though for Frank to show what kind of leader he can be and the experience should be valuable down the line.

For all their 5 stars - IIRC, they got one to the league this year. Pretty bad if you are selling the NBA to your recruits. Given the talent they get in, I'd say they are quite average at getting guys to the NBA.

But recruits probably look at the players who make to the league, among other things, more than calculating the percentages.

I really don't know, but in my opinion I think it is the pathway to the NBA with WWW's guarantee that they will have a shoe deal once they get there.

For all their 5 stars - IIRC, they got one to the league this year. Pretty bad if you are selling the NBA to your recruits. Given the talent they get in, I'd say they are quite average at getting guys to the NBA.
The thing that is irritating is that his whole "system" is selling high school kids on being one and done at Kentucky, because "he gets guys to the league". When he fails to get these guys to the league, he then sells people on the "platoon" thing. People eat this crap up. Calipari is THE master salesman.

Forgot to mention with Frank and Mali handling the ball a lot for their HS teams, if KJ can make the development that we all hope for then next season squad will have four guards that can handle and create offense for themselves and others. That should be able to help the offense function much better and give players like Cooney and BJ much better looks. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but it was an interesting thought that I had when looking at future projections.

To be honest, couple of sloppy bounces yesterday but actually didn't turn it over dribbling. I've seen him cleaner than yesterday's game, but the ball is not on a string like Ennis, other classic SU point guards. I think he'll end up a better ball handler than MikeG, ceiling of Triche?

Thanks

To be honest, couple of sloppy bounces yesterday but actually didn't turn it over dribbling. I've seen him cleaner than yesterday's game, but the ball is not on a string like Ennis, other classic SU point guards. I think he'll end up a better ball handler than MikeG, ceiling of Triche?
Some of the turnover were due to miscommunication more so than it being poor decisions imo. One play he threw the alley but the teammate who would've been wide open for the dunk never seemed to on the same page with him. Then in another he threw a bullet pass where the teammate didn't react quickly enough to the ball. Forced it a little late when the game was getting away from them but all in all I agree, his ball handling on the next level should be on par with Triche.

Some of the turnover were due to miscommunication more so than it being poor decisions imo. One play he threw the alley but the teammate who would've been wide open for the dunk never seemed to on the same page with him. Then in another he threw a bullet pass where the teammate didn't react quickly enough to the ball. Forced it a little late when the game was getting away from them but all in all I agree, his ball handling on the next level should be on par with Triche.
Yeah, saw that bullet pass fly by. And absolutely, couple of communication issues. I definitely like his unselfishness and announcers said similar of VJ as well. They both look to find an easier way from the top of the key. We really could use guys like this with their head up, looking for players moving without the ball. Franky's going to fit right in, probably play his way into significant minutes Soph year and on.

Francis and recruitniks: fios1 is now showing NJ high school hoops, St Ants and Newark East Side tonight. I'm sure we will get a few Mali, Moustapha and Duval games in the coming months.